The "we" debate, in Olympic context

Visa only. I have to support my Olympic team.

lol-face.jpg

I prefer to interpret his post as offering a valid explanation for a subconscious behavior.

Y'all don't even know why you way "we" and "us", as evidenced by the flaccid and knee-jerk responses. TehJumper5 stepped in with the goods and let the rest of you sheep off the hook.

TehJumper wins the day.

He said there is a sense of nationalism that transcends direct relationship. That's exactly what we've been saying all along. All he explained is how it's grammatically correct to use "we", "us", etc., even if we aren't on he team and dont own it.

Boy, I can't wait for all those gold medals to roll in! My life is going to improve exponentially!

I know, right? I have so much pride wrapped up in how MY discus thrower performs!!
I will be able to hold my head proudly high after MY distance runner finishes 6th.

WE'RE NUMBER 17 IN EDUCATION!! WE'RE NUMBER 17 IN EDUCATION!!

Then show me how it's done, Oats. Show me how to troll Like A Boss.

I know, right? I have so much pride wrapped up in how MY discus thrower performs!!
I will be able to hold my head proudly high after MY distance runner finishes 6th.

WE'RE NUMBER 17 IN EDUCATION!! WE'RE NUMBER 17 IN EDUCATION!!

Breathe dude..........
Just breathe........

Woooooo-sawwwwwwww

People who get upset about fans saying "we" in context to their favorite team on any level are weird. Who cares?

Go our Hawkeyes, Go my Cubs, Go my Packers, Go my Bulls, Go my Blackhawks.

I think you are incorrectly assuming that people are speaking possessively when they use terms like "we," "us," and "my" in reference to athletes and teams. Linguistically, the genitive case can be either possessive or relational. Terms like "we," "us," and "my" express relationship to the players and teams rather than possession of the players and teams. While there may not be a direct relationship to the athletes by most Americans, I think it is fair to say that there is a nationalistic relationship that transcends direct relationship and allows for use of personal terms when regular Americans wish to speak about athletes on the US Olympic team.

I didn't understand most of that, but it sounds very impressive. I'm just going to quote that verbatim in my own arguments in the hopes of confusing my adversaries into submission, such as when trying to get Jiffy Lube to honor an expired oil change coupon.

Latest posts