The "we" debate, in Olympic context

I go so far as to add personal pronouns to countries from which my ancestors arrived. Those of us on team Ghana are having a tough games.

Might want to check your facts, '82. The USOC does not receive gov't funding.

Please re-read my post. Did I say the govt was giving money to the usoc.

Do you not count all the commercial contracts from Visa, DirectV, and hundreds of companies as money coming from "us"? Of course that money is from us, whether as donations, or as an expense before profit for large companies who got the money from sales to all americans. And money paid by companies to the usoc is diverted from profit therefore diverted from dividends from millions of americans who own stock and mutual funds.

Actually I would like the US govt to contribute some millions lets say $30 million for training facilities etc.

Meanwhile at scorps house:

375677_452655988099125_2136319923_n.jpg

If you made yourself into an Olympian, you didn't build yourself into an American. All of the great things the government and everyone else has done for you is the reason you became an Olympian. Without the roads and bridges that were built for you to ride to training on, you would be nothing. Therefore, we are all Olympians, and it is ok to use "we".

I am rooting for the Argentinians in beach volleyball right now. Temp is 59 degrees and they are still wearing bikini tops.:D Americans wearing shirts.:mad:

If you made yourself into an Olympian, you didn't build yourself into an American. All of the great things the government and everyone else has done for you is the reason you became an Olympian. Without the roads and bridges that were built for you to ride to training on, you would be nothing. Therefore, we are all Olympians, and it is ok to use "we".

LOL Nice job on basing it off of an Obama quote. Only a matter of time until it is taken out of context. :D

I come across this way. I paid tuition at Iowa. Therefore, I get to say, "we." I pay federal taxes. So...

Again, the USA Olympic athletes and the USOC are not funded by the US gov't (ie, no tax revenue is provided to them).

Please re-read my post. Did I say the govt was giving money to the usoc.

Do you not count all the commercial contracts from Visa, DirectV, and hundreds of companies as money coming from "us"? Of course that money is from us, whether as donations, or as an expense before profit for large companies who got the money from sales to all americans. And money paid by companies to the usoc is diverted from profit therefore diverted from dividends from millions of americans who own stock and mutual funds.

Actually I would like the US govt to contribute some millions lets say $30 million for training facilities etc.

lol wut? that right there is a big ol' plate of word-spaghetti :eek::rolleyes:

Again, the USA Olympic athletes and the USOC are not funded by the US gov't (ie, no tax revenue is provided to them).

But they ARE funded through donations, and through partnerships with corporations (whose pockets we line). Unless you're going to suggest that Americans never eat at McDonald's, use Visa, wear Nike shoes, or watch NBC. Then the American public doesn't do anything to fund the USOC.

Good God man! I think the question is why does it bother you so much. Maybe some time for a little self reflection. Where and when did this issue start in life for you? Is it long standing? Just a recent annoyance? Why can't you just let go?

Here a little exercise... Close your eyes. Good. Now just roll your shoulders around and around. Gently now; just enough to loosen you up. Now turn that shoulder roll into a shrug; up down up down. That's it keep going. Now start doing it faster and more exaggerated; up down up down up down. Now here's your mantra " who the **** cares?", "I don't!" "who the **** cares?" "I don't!"

This works better than drinking. ;)

(oh...and it's probably better to do in a room by yourself)

:confused::confused::confused:

you're the only one fired up enough to post a rant like that, Red :(

It doesn't bother me; I started this thread as an attempt to determine if the possessives among us could explain why they use the possessive tense when referring to USA Olympic athletes.

So far, no one has been able to explain it to my satisfaction. I've read a bunch of emotional (butthurt, in some cases :rolleyes: ) and nationalistic responses, but that's about it.

#I_am_entertained

But they ARE funded through donations, and through partnerships with corporations (whose pockets we line). Unless you're going to suggest that Americans never eat at McDonald's, use Visa, wear Nike shoes, or watch NBC. Then the American public doesn't do anything to fund the USOC.

You forgot the most important one. TEAM USA CHEERIOS!

Do you make a conscious choice to only patronize Big Corporations who give money to the USOC? Or are you just claiming it after the fact because it fits your narrative?

Do you make a conscious choice to only patronize Big Corporations who give money to the USOC? Or are you just claiming it after the fact because it fits your narrative?

Havent you ever heard them say something along the lines of "it feels amazing to swim for my country"?

They are swimming for me.

Same thing...if I'm IN a conversation with a fellow hawkeye friend about the hawks, and we are now discussing the rb situation...it seems natural to say "man, OUR running backs sure are lining up with some good depth", as opposed to saying "man, IOWA'S rb's sure are....depth", which may be what is said if the conversation was with a friend who was not a hawk fan (blasphamy, I know).

Not saying it's right or wrong, just that I use both when in different conversations.

You are an Iowa grad. You can say "we" and "us" in reference to the U of Iowa until the day you die. You earned the right. As did I.

I root for the Patriots in the NFL because I became a fan while living in Rhode Island for almost a decade, and going to several games in Gillette. I have not and would never use possessives when referring to le Patriots. They are not "mine" in any way, shape, or form.

You are an Iowa grad. You can say "we" and "us" in reference to the U of Iowa until the day you die. You earned the right. As did I.

I root for the Patriots in the NFL because I became a fan while living in Rhode Island for almost a decade, and going to several games in Gillette. I have and would never use possessives when referring to le Patriots. They are not "mine" in any way, shape, or form.

I am an American grad.

Latest posts