The Unknown is worse than Ferentz

They will be in a BCS game and if a 10 win season is "poop" I guess that makes six of Ferentz's last seven seasons poop as well.

Funny how Michigan is poop but Iowa has been good. That shows how rose colored glasses can affect the vision depending on who you root for.

3 Title games! LOL!

for nearly $4 million per year, over 20 years??
yeah, you're goddam right 3 Title games
why not?
seriously, WHY NOT??
chip kelly? chris petersen? mike fkn gundy?!? BIELEMA?!?!?
each of these jamokes will very likely play for at least 3 bcs championships over the next 20 years
why can't Iowa??????????

why not?
seriously, WHY NOT??
each of these jamokes will very likely play for at least 3 bcs championships over the next 20 years
why can't Iowa??????????

Chris Petersen won't because he's at Boise, but you're right in the broader sense that the return doesn't equal the investment.

why not?
seriously, WHY NOT??
why can't Iowa??????????
No reason to reply anymore. You have lost touch with reality.

Signed

Hostile Ferentz Apologist and Proud of It

i think i will hold judgemennt on Hoke, Lets see what he doess with his own recruits, he could be pulling a "Weis" with the players he inherited. once Weis's players got in there he couldnt beat NAVY!

Funny how Michigan is poop but Iowa has been good. That shows how rose colored glasses can affect the vision depending on who you root for.

They didnt even go to a bowl game in '08 or '09, and they got smoked by Miss St last year in the Gator Bowl. Michigan has had 8 home games this year.

Chris Petersen won't because he's at Boise, but you're right in the broader sense that the return doesn't equal the investment.
Why don't you let Barta and the Board of Regents make that judgment?

Apparently, based on season ticket sales and overall revenue, they believe that he is more than worth it. If fans stop buying tickets, that is a game changer, but I don't see it happening.

I'm signing off - sorry to be such a hostile Ferentz apologist, but you guys really do deserve it.

why not?
seriously, WHY NOT??
why can't Iowa??????????

When is the last time a Big Ten team other than Michigan or O$U played in a MNC game?

i think i will hold judgemennt on Hoke, Lets see what he doess with his own recruits, he could be pulling a "Weis" with the players he inherited. once Weis's players got in there he couldnt beat NAVY!

Little different situation with Weis. He was coming from being an NFL offensive coordinator, Hoke won 12 games at Ball St and turned around San Diego St in just two years. I think he knows what kind of players he needs to win in college football.

No reason to reply anymore. You have lost touch with reality.

Signed

Hostile Ferentz Apologist and Proud of It

Facile, lazy response. Total cop-out.
Answer my question. WHY shouldn't Iowa be among those schools that compete every season on an elite level?
Please, I beg you, give me your sincere answer.
WHY??

why not?
seriously, WHY NOT??
why can't Iowa??????????

3 programs have made the tile game 3 times in the 14 years the BCS has existed (I'm assuming LSU makes it this year). I'm going to assume those 4 programs will not make it 3 times in the next 20 years though putting 85 questions marks after every sentence almost convinced me otherwise.

For the people who think Iowa won't be able to get a quality coach if Ferentz is fired. Take a look at this link and sort by total pay. Iowa is fifth in the nation, behind Texas, Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma. Arkansas, Auburn, Michigan and Florida are right behind us. Coaches like money, for what we pay, we'll get a damn good coach. Times have changed, this isn't Iowa of the 60's, this is a football program that should be top 20, at minimum year in and year out.

College coaches cash in ? USATODAY.com

3 programs have made the tile game 3 times in the 14 years the BCS has existed (I'm assuming LSU makes it this year). I'm going to assume those 4 programs will not make it 3 times in the next 20 years though putting 85 questions marks after every sentence almost convinced me otherwise.

another copout
answer my question: WHY not Iowa?
Do we have restrictive admissions and academic policies? (No.)
Do we lack resources in our athletic program? (No.)
Do we lack passionate fan support? (No.)
Do we lack a unique and energetic game-day atmosphere? (No.)
Do we lack a historic, LOUD stadium? (No.)
Do we lack the ability to pay a head ball coach a sh!t-ton of money? (NO.)

So what, exactly, is holding us back??

GIVE ME ANSWERS, FELLAS. DON'T JUST CRACK ON ME FOR DEMANDING EXCELLENCE AND NOT BEING A PATSY FOR THE STATUS QUO.

Little different situation with Weis. He was coming from being an NFL offensive coordinator, Hoke won 12 games at Ball St and turned around San Diego St in just two years. I think he knows what kind of players he needs to win in college football.

now turning around Ball St & San Diego St is equivalent to Michigan? How about a more relavent example, Turner Gil turing around Buffalo goes to Kansas.....

I will still hold my judgement back. Also, Michigan has to now sustain 10 wins to be successfull? or do they get a 7/8 win season every once and a while?

Last edited:
now turning around Ball St & San Diego St is equivalent to Michigan? How about a more relavent example, Turner Gil turing around Buffalo goes to Kansas.....

I will still hold my judgement back. Also, Michigan has to now sustain 10 wins to be successfull? or do they get a 7/8 win season every once and a while?

Yes, having success at multiple programs is usually a pretty good measure of successful coaching. It worked out pretty well for Florida when they hired this Urban guy who had had success at a couple of smaller programs.

Apparently Bielema is getting paid enough to win 3 MNC's.

The direction Bielema has taken the program it might yet happen. He's finished in the top 25 in 5/6 years. No reason we can't aim for 4/6 with our coach.

I agree that the 3 MNC's was unrealistic and I think was more frustration than anything else from Vintage, but we are definitely not living up to expectations. 1 year since 2005 I can count that we achieved or surpassed preseason expectations.

another copout
answer my question: WHY not Iowa?
Do we have restrictive admissions and academic policies? (No.)
Do we lack resources in our athletic program? (No.)
Do we lack passionate fan support? (No.)
Do we lack a unique and energetic game-day atmosphere? (No.)
Do we lack a historic, LOUD stadium? (No.)
Do we lack the ability to pay a head ball coach a sh!t-ton of money? (NO.)

So what, exactly, is holding us back??

GIVE ME ANSWERS, FELLAS. DON'T JUST CRACK ON ME FOR DEMANDING EXCELLENCE AND NOT BEING A PATSY FOR THE STATUS QUO.
OK, I really want to feed the cat or read a good book or something else but I'll take the bait.

First of all, let me say a few things to get this back on track: I respect your opinions and obviously you are a passionate Iowa fan. I am just trying to understand your frame of reference. Here is Iowa's track record through 122 years of football:

1. Overall win %: 53%
2.Big Ten titles: 12 (10% of the years)
3. Consensus national championships: 1 (1958)
4. BCS bowl games: 7 (5 Rose and 2 Orange)
5. Bowl games last 33 seasons: 26 (78%)

What is your expectation over the next 20 years for (1) Winning percentage; (2) Big Ten titles; (3) National championships?

Just to make it easy for you, I'll go first. Here are my expectations:

1. Go to a bowl at least 3 out of 4 seasons
2. Win a Big Ten title once every 10 years.
3. Contend for a national title once every 20 years (Fry did it once and Ferentz has done it twice).
4. Overall winning percentage: average at least 8 wins each year

What are your expectations as a loyal Iowa fan?

Yes, having success at multiple programs is usually a pretty good measure of successful coaching. It worked out pretty well for Florida when they hired this Urban guy who had had success at a couple of smaller programs.

signed,

coach gil (kansas)
coach graham (pitt)
coach kill (minnesotta)
lol, the original Pitt coach that was supposed to be their coach this year from Ball St, Coach (xxxxx)
coach hawkins (colorado)

and these are just off the top off my head!

Latest posts