The Unknown is worse than Ferentz

The direction Bielema has taken the program it might yet happen. He's finished in the top 25 in 5/6 years. No reason we can't aim for 4/6 with our coach.

I agree that the 3 MNC's was unrealistic and I think was more frustration than anything else from Vintage, but we are definitely not living up to expectations. 1 year since 2005 I can count that we achieved or surpassed preseason expectations.

I'm not saying we are living up to expectations. I was asking Vin a question in response to one of his posts.

signed,

coach gil (kansas)
coach graham (pitt)
coach kill (minnesotta)
lol, the original Pitt coach that was supposed to be their coach this year from Ball St, Coach (xxxxx)
coach hawkins (colorado)

and these are just off the top off my head!

Which one of these coaches had success at multiple programs?

You really are terrible at coming up with examples for your arguments.

The direction Bielema has taken the program it might yet happen. He's finished in the top 25 in 5/6 years. No reason we can't aim for 4/6 with our coach.

I agree that the 3 MNC's was unrealistic and I think was more frustration than anything else from Vintage, but we are definitely not living up to expectations. 1 year since 2005 I can count that we achieved or surpassed preseason expectations.

But remember, the question was "what are your expectations for a 20-year span?"
I really don't think that playing for a BCS nat'l title once every ~7 years is that outrageous. Sh!t, LSU does it every what, 4 years? WTF does LSU offer that Iowa doesn't?? Seriously. Ever been to Baton Rouge, y'all?!? I have. It's a sh!thole!! Iowa City is fackin' Napa Valley compared to Baton Rouge.
We have NO excuses...we should be competing for much bigger stakes than we are.

another copout
answer my question: WHY not Iowa?
Do we have restrictive admissions and academic policies? (No.)
Do we lack resources in our athletic program? (No.)
Do we lack passionate fan support? (No.)
Do we lack a unique and energetic game-day atmosphere? (No.)
Do we lack a historic, LOUD stadium? (No.)
Do we lack the ability to pay a head ball coach a sh!t-ton of money? (NO.)

So what, exactly, is holding us back??

GIVE ME ANSWERS, FELLAS. DON'T JUST CRACK ON ME FOR DEMANDING EXCELLENCE AND NOT BEING A PATSY FOR THE STATUS QUO.

How is it a cop out to state that 2% of college football programs have done what you are expecting in a 14 year period? Demand excellence all you want, just understand the risk you are taking when doing so. And no, I don't think it's impossible to attain massive success here though it is incredibly hard to do.

Last edited:
OK, I really want to feed the cat or read a good book or something else but I'll take the bait.

First of all, let me say a few things to get this back on track: I respect your opinions and obviously you are a passionate Iowa fan. I am just trying to understand your frame of reference. Here is Iowa's track record through 122 years of football:

1. Overall win %: 53%
2.Big Ten titles: 12 (10% of the years)
3. Consensus national championships: 1 (1958)
4. BCS bowl games: 7 (5 Rose and 2 Orange)
5. Bowl games last 33 seasons: 26 (78%)

What is your expectation over the next 20 years for (1) Winning percentage; (2) Big Ten titles; (3) National championships?

Just to make it easy for you, I'll go first. Here are my expectations:

1. Go to a bowl at least 3 out of 4 seasons
2. Win a Big Ten title once every 10 years.
3. Contend for a national title once every 20 years (Fry did it once and Ferentz has done it twice).
4. Overall winning percentage: average at least 8 wins each year

What are your expectations as a loyal Iowa fan?

I posted this already, two pages back. You must have been choking your chic-....err, I mean, feeding your kittycat. ;)

In this era, in this conference, with these resources, and at the salary level that has been established, I expect...
- a winning percentage of 80, +10/-5
- playing in at least three (3) BCS nat'l championship games
- no less than six (6) B1G titles
...over a twenty year span

Yeah, you'll respond dismissively. "We're just little old Iowa!"
And then I'll offer up little old Oregon, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Boise State, Stanford, hell how about Wisconsin...

OK, I really want to feed the cat or read a good book or something else but I'll take the bait.

First of all, let me say a few things to get this back on track: I respect your opinions and obviously you are a passionate Iowa fan. I am just trying to understand your frame of reference. Here is Iowa's track record through 122 years of football:

1. Overall win %: 53%
2.Big Ten titles: 12 (10% of the years)
3. Consensus national championships: 1 (1958)
4. BCS bowl games: 7 (5 Rose and 2 Orange)
5. Bowl games last 33 seasons: 26 (78%)

What is your expectation over the next 20 years for (1) Winning percentage; (2) Big Ten titles; (3) National championships?

Just to make it easy for you, I'll go first. Here are my expectations:

1. Go to a bowl at least 3 out of 4 seasons
2. Win a Big Ten title once every 10 years.
3. Contend for a national title once every 20 years (Fry did it once and Ferentz has done it twice).
4. Overall winning percentage: average at least 8 wins each year

What are your expectations as a loyal Iowa fan?

70 teams now go to bowls and counting 3/4 isn't expecting much.

How did KF do it twice and Fry once? Fry had a 10-2 season and a 10-1-1 season which were equal to or better than the KF years you mentioned.

I think the realistic demands I am looking at are:

At minimum - top 25 every other year
Winning percentage >75% vs. ISU, Indiana, Minnesota and Northwestern

How is it a cop out to state that 2% of college football programs have done what you are expecting in a 14 year period? Demand excellence all you want, just understand the risk you are taking when doing so.

I don't fear risk; I manage it. I make money off of it.
You?

I'm sick of repeating myself. Y'all go ahead and accept the safe, nice, provincial humdrum bullsh!t we've been force-fed for the past 12 seasons.
I'm dissatisfied. I want more. It's not on me if you can't understand the mindset.

You?

I'm sick of repeating myself. Y'all go ahead and accept the safe, nice, provincial humdrum bullsh!t we've been force-fed for the past 12 seasons.
I'm dissatisfied. I want more. It's not on me if you can't understand the mindset.

If you make money off of risk that's cool. I don't really care but that's cool. You should know though that there are risks you take and risks you don't take and based off of the data in front of me, I don't see a risk worth taking yet. A couple more 6 win seasons than I'd probably be in favor of pulling the trigger but I'm not there yet.

@hawkfan33

They all were successful at multiple coaching stops. Do your own google search!

Turner Gill: Buffalo and ???
Dan Hawkins: Boise St and ???
Jerry Kill: Northern Illinois and ??? (at the FBS level)
Mike Haywood: Miami (OH) and ???
Todd Graham: Rice and Tulsa

So you got one out of five right, might want to stop going off the top of your head LOL.

And good to see that you're judging Graham a failure after one season, way to be consistent there champ.

I posted this already, two pages back. You must have been choking your chic-....err, I mean, feeding your kittycat. ;)

In this era, in this conference, with these resources, and at the salary level that has been established, I expect...
- a winning percentage of 80, +10/-5
- playing in at least three (3) BCS nat'l championship games
- no less than six (6) B1G titles
...over a twenty year span

Yeah, you'll respond dismissively. "We're just little old Iowa!"
And then I'll offer up little old Oregon, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech, Boise State, Stanford, hell how about Wisconsin...
You have insane expectations. I don't really think you are serious, based on the tone of your responses.

99% of the Iowa fan base will be happy averaging 7 or 8 wins per season. That means that in some years Iowa will win more than that, and in some years they will win less.

Some time, when you are thinking a little more clearly, go to Fry Fest and try to spend some time with Hayden Fry. Ask him how difficult it is to win a national championship. You might be surprised at the answer.

I think if your goal is to win national championships at Iowa, you are going to die a very unhappy man. Iowa has won one. I think the odds of another are very remote.

Michigan, one of the great dynasties in college football, has one won national championship in the past 62 years, and it was shared with Nebraska.

8 wins a season? Possible. Bowl games? Sure. Winning national championships? Pretty tough -

If you make money off of risk that's cool. I don't really care but that's cool. You should know though that there are risks you take and risks you don't take and based off of the data in front of me, I don't see a risk worth taking yet. A couple more 6 win seasons than I'd probably be in favor of pulling the trigger but I'm not there yet.

complacent
accepting of the status quo
fear of the unknown

you bore me
no personal offense intended, though

You have insane expectations. I don't really think you are serious, based on the tone of your responses.

99% of the Iowa fan base will be happy averaging 7 or 8 wins per season. That means that in some years Iowa will win more than that, and in some years they will win less.

Some time, when you are thinking a little more clearly, go to Fry Fest and try to spend some time with Hayden Fry. Ask him how difficult it is to win a national championship. You might be surprised at the answer.

I think if your goal is to win national championships at Iowa, you are going to die a very unhappy man. Iowa has won one. I think the odds of another are very remote.

Michigan, one of the great dynasties in college football, has one won national championship in the past 62 years, and it was shared with Nebraska.

8 wins a season? Possible. Bowl games? Sure. Winning national championships? Pretty tough -

aww, jesus H christ
WHY CAN'T IOWA BE AN ELITE FOOTBALL PROGRAM??? GIVE ME INTELLECTUAL REASONS, NOT FEAR AND TIMIDITY

And I don't give a flattened pile of sh!t about what "99% of Iowa fans" would be happy with! Why would you even offer that made-up, anecdotal BS?!?

Cripes. I'm sooo sick of posters who bring a dull butter knife to this gunfight.

Sorry I don't have any meaningless and just as exciting personal anecdotes to throw out.

dude, as long as you feel SAFE and COMFORTABLE with your head coach, that's all that matters
he'll never offend you, he'll never say anything wrong
he'll just pick your pocket and laugh at you behind your back

You?

Give some of the money you have made managing risk to the University and demand a change. I'll bet if you give enough, they might listen to you.

I'm guessing that anyone hanging out on this message board probably isn't taken very seriously by the Iowa Athletic Department (me included).

Just a guess

dude, as long as you feel SAFE and COMFORTABLE with your head coach, that's all that matters
he'll never offend you, he'll never say anything wrong
he'll just pick your pocket and laugh at you behind your back

I'm just going to assume you don't understand my argument and end this. Because, that's not it at all.

Give some of the money you have made managing risk to the University and demand a change. I'll bet if you give enough, they might listen to you.

I'm guessing that anyone hanging out on this message board probably isn't taken very seriously by the Iowa Athletic Department (me included).

Just a guess

Don't you think this is one of the deepest roots of the problem?!?
FAT CATS.
I give money. I know people who give a lot more than me. NONE of us is satisfied with the direction of the FB program.
It shouldn't be like this.

I don't think it's out of the realm that Iowa can get to a National Title game. They were in the discussion in 2002 and in 2009. It's the numerous years of mediocrity that has many in the fanbase questioning things.

aww, jesus H christ
WHY CAN'T IOWA BE AN ELITE FOOTBALL PROGRAM??? GIVE ME INTELLECTUAL REASONS, NOT FEAR AND TIMIDITY

And I don't give a flattened pile of sh!t about what "99% of Iowa fans" would be happy with! Why would you even offer that made-up, anecdotal BS?!?

Cripes. I'm sooo sick of posters who bring a dull butter knife to this gunfight.
Actually, I think you have lost this gunfight. You have been exposed.

No one who manages risk successfully adopts the kind of attitude you are displaying. If you are as successful as you imply you are, then you take calculated risks. The same is true in college football - keeping Ferentz and supporting him is the calculated risk and the smart investment. It is the only risk that Barta can take right now.

Ferentz is the hero - he is the one who has the courage to stay at Iowa and continue to chase bowl games, big ten titles, etc. He had many chances to leave Iowa, but chose to stay in Iowa City. His entire book at Iowa has not been written - Iowa will have additional great seasons, IMO.

Latest posts