The Search: The Name that Keeps Coming Up

I like Forbes, and here is why.

1) He can rerecruit the current Iowa players and the incoming class. That has to be his first priority.

2) He can put our border on lockdown.

3) This is his dream job and as someone upthread said, he will do everything in his power to write the ship. There is nothing that a guy like Forbes would want more than to be the one that resurrected Iowa BBall.

4) You know he will be a PERFECT fit.

Abso-freaking-lutely. I'm convinced that he is the right person for the job on so many levels that I've pared my list down to just one name, Steve Forbes.

I don't think you can be a successful recruiter and nit have these people skills

Here's a link to audio of a recent interview with Forbes. He has acquired a little bit of a southern accent. (Or has he lived in the South most of his life?) Seems like a folksy guy, somebody you would like to have a beer or two with.

Speaks his mind, doesn't seem too rigid and not too reserved. Likes to talk about specific players, seems like he has a good connection with them. I like that.

http://web.knoxnews.com/podcasts/0215forbes.mp3

GlidingHawk

So, would you like to hire the National coach of the year? Oh wait we tried that too, and look how that worked out.

In all fairness to Lickliter, things would have been quite a bit different had the program not been on the downturn when he got there.

Regardless, it would be a HUGE risk. Maybe the right one, but still very risky.

If I were interviewing Forbes, one of my first questions would be to ask him what assistants he felt he could bring in with him.

I would think after being an assistant all of these years(at different locations), he has probably established some good connections with other assistants over the years.

He has quickly moved to the top of my list. I am confident he would bring everything we need. His style would be up tempo, he is a lights out recruiter, he maintains relationships with players once they are on campus, and he knows Iowa and what it will take for us to succeed.

+avatar

I am not 100% sold. I would like to be able to see him in action, but unfortunately not available. It worries me that he does not have solid head coaching experience. if he does get the job would be interesting to who he builds around him.

with that said if he does become the next coach i will support him and still continue to go to games win or lose. I am not a fair weather fan and i drive from Des Moines to do it.

Here's a link to audio of a recent interview with Forbes. He has acquired a little bit of a southern accent. (Or has he lived in the South most of his life?) Seems like a folksy guy, somebody you would like to have a beer or two with.

Speaks his mind, doesn't seem too rigid and not too reserved. Likes to talk about specific players, seems like he has a good connection with them. I like that.

Nice find.

Southern Iowa accent...

I think having an "Iowa Guy" would be a great step bringing the program back. I also think adding a basketball alumni to the staff would be a great addition. Ryan Bowen finished up his NBA career this year and would be a solid choice as a 2nd or 3rd assistant.

Would Forbes coach up-tempo full court press basketball? That is the way Pearl does it, but he has been in different systems in the past.

This guy is my man. I have said along you don't have to be a great coach. just the abilty to recruit, having great connections, and be a people person. A good coach knows to surround himself with great asst coaches, because they will make him look good. Alford did finally learn this when he hired Neal. In a way i wish allford was still here, because i think he was just figuring things out. And besides, i think neal was the one who really coached those last two seasons.

Ok...I get it ...Forbes isn't a sexy name in some peoples eyes do he deserves 1/2 the money. Who ever barta hires will be paid fairly well based on other 1st year B10 coaches. if Forbes get an offer it won't be because they could hire him cheap.

I did not mean it to sound insulting. I just think that an assistant,as great as he may be,would not command the type of money you would offer to a current head coach like a Jamie Dixon,or Pearl. I imagine he is making good money at Tenn.,but not more than 250k...if you offer 1 million, that is a good bump. I am not saying that would be a reason to go after him,but it could be a somewhat positive byproduct. Like it or not,Lick was national COY coming in,so he could command a bit more.

Pastner got 4.4 million for 5 years...sounds fair.

GlidingHawk

Many thanks.

Small town Iowa has a drawl. I drop it when I'm at work but when I'm back home in my town of 1200 people or on my own time, I easily slide back into an accent.

This guy is my man. I have said along you don't have to be a great coach. just the abilty to recruit, having great connections, and be a people person. A good coach knows to surround himself with great asst coaches, because they will make him look good. Alford did finally learn this when he hired Neal. In a way i wish allford was still here, because i think he was just figuring things out. And besides, i think neal was the one who really coached those last two seasons.

Forbes as Head Coach, Mike Dunlap as his x's and o's guy. Dynamite combination.

Forbes is now my #1 above Pearl. Pearl would be awesome, but if we shell out the big bucks to get him and it works, that means it's probably just a matter of time before somebody else shells out more bucks to take him away. Forbes seems like a guy who would stick around for a long time.

Forbes! Forbes! Forbes!

Forbes is now my #1 above Pearl. Pearl would be awesome, but if we shell out the big bucks to get him and it works, that means it's probably just a matter of time before somebody else shells out more bucks to take him away. Forbes seems like a guy who would stick around for a long time.

Forbes! Forbes! Forbes!

this guy could be our paul rhodes..

I think the fact that he really really wants the job is very important. You know a guy like that is going to everthing in his power to right the ship. People that are truly passionate about something rarely fail.

This is very true! After reading that little article by Jon, I'm sold on this guy, even more so than I was on Barbee.

I still think we have to go after Dixon as he seems like the only one of the "homerun" hires that might be willing to listen. But after that, I say you go to the guy that is a proven recruiter, has worked with some very good coaches, and would absolutely have a passion for the program that maybe no one else out there would have. He could sell this program better than anyone else. And I mean to both potential recruits as well as the fanbase.

Iowa needs a name to get people excited. A coach with head experience is needed at this time. Iowa can't afford a risky hire. You don't fire Lick and hire some coach with zero D-1 experience. Maybe when Alford left, but not now.

I remember when a certain football coach was hired. We missed out on the hottest coach in the nation and got "stuck" with some guy who used to be on Hayden's staff but was coaching the perennial powerhouse Maine. I would be fine with a "big pitcure hire" of Forbes to get the recruiting, passion for Iowa, and association with a successful program all in one package yet at an affordable price. Big name prima donnas are not going to fit well at Iowa.

If Forbes name keeps popping up then that means when Pearl quietly and politely said, "No thanks" he then pointed Barta in the direction of his assistant coach.

If Forbes name keeps popping up then that means when Pearl quietly and politely said, "No thanks" he then pointed Barta in the direction of his assistant coach.

Yup. Which was the subject of my reading the tealeaves on Forbes post two days ago.

Latest posts