The movie "Dont Look Up"; Discussion for those who have watched; spoiler alerts

Covid isn’t even CLOSE to .5% death. .05% is a whole lot more accurate.

Things would be a lot different if a more deadly virus came about. Most people aren't afraid of a .5% chance of death.

Right now the numbers I just saw put the death rate at about .02% globally. But how many deaths in rural India, China, Brazil, and Africa have not even been counted? I dont know the answer but at this time in the US, after a year of vaccines, I just heard we are having about 1,300 deaths per day which is really high.

And, I wonder what the rate was in the first few months before "we" as a people had very little going for us in this fight, as in not enough masks, people not wearing masks, not enough beds and ventilators, little idea how it is spreading? And as PCHawk said if a virus at a Black Plague death level like 50% came along, yikes.

Things would be a lot different if a more deadly virus came about. Most people aren't afraid of a .5% chance of death.

FYI, I used several weekly totals from the Johns Hopkins Covid data site to compare death rates during various parts of the pandemic.

Later April 2020, about 5 weeks in and remember several cities were just getting hammered the death rate was 7.7% of total cases because healthcare did not have it handled.

Jan of 2021 during that big spike but millions were getting vaxxed the rate was at 3.3% death rate plus we had more masks, better social distancing, some lock downs etc for the public sphere, and more ventilators. So the death rate was roughly halved.

And then just in the last few weeks the death rate it down to about .03% so healthcare etc has really damped down the death outcome.

The overall US death rate is about 1.2% and the global overall rate is 1.7% (but experts think the global number is about several times lower than actual with very bad surveillance of deaths).

But it does go to your point, what if the intial death rate was 50-60% and half the healthcare people caring for the sick were dying, where people risked their lives just going outdoors around people, well that could be a really bad situation that might not be stopped. And notice I didnt put FryIowa on this reply because your thought was more like the beginning of a pandemic and he was thinking of the death rate now and overall

FYI, I used several weekly totals from the Johns Hopkins Covid data site to compare death rates during various parts of the pandemic.

Later April 2020, about 5 weeks in and remember several cities were just getting hammered the death rate was 7.7% of total cases because healthcare did not have it handled.

Jan of 2021 during that big spike but millions were getting vaxxed the rate was at 3.3% death rate plus we had more masks, better social distancing, some lock downs etc for the public sphere, and more ventilators. So the death rate was roughly halved.

And then just in the last few weeks the death rate it down to about .03% so healthcare etc has really damped down the death outcome.

The overall US death rate is about 1.2% and the global overall rate is 1.7% (but experts think the global number is about several times lower than actual with very bad surveillance of deaths).

But it does go to your point, what if the intial death rate was 50-60% and half the healthcare people caring for the sick were dying, where people risked their lives just going outdoors around people, well that could be a really bad situation that might not be stopped. And notice I didnt put FryIowa on this reply because your thought was more like the beginning of a pandemic and he was thinking of the death rate now and overall
I saw the same source and the same data.

To be clear, the death rate was never really 7.7%. There were almost no tests early on and they were severely rationed to those who were on death's door. The denominator in whatever was used to calculate that 7.7% number is off by a factor of 10. Granted, deaths were high early, but a huge part of that was NY and PA allowed it to ravage the nursing homes. As the Ministry of Truth protects the new Emperor, they will pay more attention to people who died "with" COVID and those who died "because of" COVID and the picture will get markedly rosier.

I'm pretty sure ventilators are bad now and don't really get used much anymore aren't they?

I haven't changed my lifestyle one bit throughout this pandemic (at least after the first month) but if it was a 50% death rate, you wouldn't see me out at all. I'd be the person with 3 masks and a face shield.

Now that all of the true numbers are coming out like 75% of hospitalizations are from people testing positive after being admitted for a different reason, it really shows how political it was made.

I saw a clip where democrats were polled on what they think the odds are of ending up in the hospital if you get covid and over 40% thought it was above a 50% chance. Over 70% thought it was over a 25% chance. The true number is between 1 and 5 percent. The misinformation fed in the blue states was crazy.

I've heard people talk about conversations they've had with people from California and they were amazed that people in the Midwest are living normal lives and not dropping dead. It's like 2 different realities.

I used to think this mild pandemic was a good test run for a real one. But now I think if fucked us bad. People are going to be thinking "here we go again" and by the time people take it serious it will be too late.

Now that all of the true numbers are coming out like 75% of hospitalizations are from people testing positive after being admitted for a different reason, it really shows how political it was made.
Ding ding ding ding ding.....

We have a winner.

More guessing, wishing, speculation, misrepresentation, by those foolish enough to desperately use political motivation to attack legitimate attempts by research institutions to report meaningful data. I will continue to place HN posters well down the list of reliable sources, thank you!

More guessing, wishing, speculation, misrepresentation, by those foolish enough to desperately use political motivation to attack legitimate attempts by research institutions to report meaningful data. I will continue to place HN posters well down the list of reliable sources, thank you!
Those numbers are from the cdc director. And have you seen the attempts to silence doctors who have a different opinion on covid. I'd really love to know if there is a single poster on here who's first hand experiences line up with the narrative from the left.

Sheep listen well to their shepherd. Go ahead and continue to graze in that pasture and when your shepherd speaks, make sure you listen and obey.

Those numbers are from the cdc director. And have you seen the attempts to silence doctors who have a different opinion on covid. I'd really love to know if there is a single poster on here who's first hand experiences line up with the narrative from the left.

Dude, cuckfinn is hopeless. Don't even try. The guy supposedly taught a class in propaganda but is literally 100% blind to it unless it is on "Faux Noise" and then he can point it out.

Vast numbers of people are waking up to the farce of a media that we have in this country, but not ol' cuckfinn. Nope, just give him his daily dose of CNN and MSNBC and he's ready to hit the road. CNN is the most trusted name in news. By the way, did you know THE STORM OF THE MILLENNIUM is coming? Better go make a run on the store.

By the way, did you know THE STORM OF THE MILLENNIUM is coming? Better go make a run on the store.
Alright that's ENOUGH goddammit. I went and got gas for my snowblower last night. I am not being misled into thinking there will be 3' of snow when in reality we will get a dusting. I don't fall for that shit.

Alright that's ENOUGH goddammit. I went and got gas for my snowblower last night. I am not being misled into thinking there will be 3' of snow when in reality we will get a dusting. I don't fall for that shit.

Here's the weather report for us for Sunday:

"Snow along with gusty winds at times. Some sleet or freezing rain possible. High 32F. Winds NE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected."

I'm trying to bet people we get under 2 inches in town but no one will take the bet.

Here's the weather report for us for Sunday:

"Snow along with gusty winds at times. Some sleet or freezing rain possible. High 32F. Winds NE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 8 to 12 inches of snow expected."

I'm trying to bet people we get under 2 inches in town but no one will take the bet.
In the Carolinas? What kind of black magic fuckery is that?

In the Carolinas? What kind of black magic fuckery is that?

Yes. Look, it can snow like that 30-60 minutes north of me because you pick up altitude, but we're just under 1000 feet above sea level. You need to get at least 1500 feet above sea level at this latitude to get that sort of snow unless it is a one in a trillion storm like the one they had in 1993. Check this thing out:

15 inches in Knoxville, TN
13 in Birmingham
56 on Mount Mitchell, NC

1993 Storm of the Century - Wikipedia

Sheep listen well to their shepherd. Go ahead and continue to graze in that pasture and when your shepherd speaks, make sure you listen and obey.
You have the wrong herd of sheep. And, the wrong shepherd. Yours is ? Let me guess. Cultmaster?
NB: Buy a science book.

Last edited:
Oh I got you all wrong, you’re not a sheep, your ancestor is a monkey.

Hey, please tell cuckfinn that if the evil orange man was a cultmaster then the vaccination rate amongst "the cult" would be 100% because people would blindly do what he said and he instructed people to take the vaccine. I think he's got me on block.

Whatever, the movie itself is fictional. And as far as existential problems you are saying we have climate change and global warming stopped (haha, if you say yes I have a bridge to sell you), we can handle a major asteroid hit (yeah right), and a series of huge mega volcanoes like yellowstone cauldron and that eruption kicking off some other volcanoes (check the box that we have that under control), more and worse viruses (oh yeah we can handle that because we are handling the current one so well, haha what a laugh).

I am getting these examples from an article in the Atlantic Mag based some expert in the area. I will try to find the link for you.

Simply read my populated quote in my thread.

From reading pasts posts of yours, you seem to live in worry or fear of this evolution.

This world and earth have evolved over time including ice ages, glacial movements, even in the midwest which caused many of our land configurations such as the bluffs in NE Iowa and the driftless areas, etc.. We have no control over that stuff. Florida may eventually be under water in so many hundred years. People will move inland. We may have a completely different climate in Iowa in hundreds to thousands of years. We just have to evolve with the changes that are going to happen anyway.

Latest posts