The movie "Dont Look Up"; Discussion for those who have watched; spoiler alerts

uihawk82

What did you think? I thought is was great just because it was so on the edge. Sarcastic, metaphorical, ironic, and an indictment on so many things 'us'.

It was funny only because it is so ludicrous (or were these a few of these characters actually that ludicrous), sarcastic, and some great one-liners that are not jokes but just hilarious.

The ending on the other planet is hilarious. Interesting movie about how we are not at all ready for any existential problems.

It is on my list, for sure. Your thoughts made it even more appealing. Spoilers don’t bother me.

Interesting movie about how we are not at all ready for any existential problems.

That is simply not true. Many of the greatest technological advances in the past 200 years of human history came about as a result of an existential problem, namely World War II.

I haven't seen the movie but it sounds absurd. There is a gigantic nerd astronomy community and women are placed on a pedestal in it. If one found a significant comet (let alone one coming toward earth) it would be the biggest story on social media for 48 hours and regular media would follow. Let us not forget that a kid in a NASA shirt who got arrested for a hoax bomb got the president to tweet him within hours of his story going viral. "Cool clock, Ahmed." That was one for the ages.

That is simply not true. Many of the greatest technological advances in the past 200 years of human history came about as a result of an existential problem, namely World War II.

I haven't seen the movie but it sounds absurd. There is a gigantic nerd astronomy community and women are placed on a pedestal in it. If one found a significant comet (let alone one coming toward earth) it would be the biggest story on social media for 48 hours and regular media would follow. Let us not forget that a kid in a NASA shirt who got arrested for a hoax bomb got the president to tweet him within hours of his story going viral. "Cool clock, Ahmed." That was one for the ages.

Whatever, the movie itself is fictional. And as far as existential problems you are saying we have climate change and global warming stopped (haha, if you say yes I have a bridge to sell you), we can handle a major asteroid hit (yeah right), and a series of huge mega volcanoes like yellowstone cauldron and that eruption kicking off some other volcanoes (check the box that we have that under control), more and worse viruses (oh yeah we can handle that because we are handling the current one so well, haha what a laugh).

I am getting these examples from an article in the Atlantic Mag based some expert in the area. I will try to find the link for you.

Whatever, the movie itself is fictional. And as far as existential problems you are saying we have climate change and global warming stopped (haha, if you say yes I have a bridge to sell you), we can handle a major asteroid hit (yeah right), and a series of huge mega volcanoes like yellowstone cauldron and that eruption kicking off some other volcanoes (check the box that we have that under control), more and worse viruses (oh yeah we can handle that because we are handling the current one so well, haha what a laugh).

I am getting these examples from an article in the Atlantic Mag based some expert in the area. I will try to find the link for you.

Some of the things you mentioned are actually existential threats that would likely wipe out the species and some are not. Can you identify which ones would actually be likely to wipe out humanity?

The virus is under control. Stop posting misinformation. The President promised to, on day 1, get the virus under control and he has. It is a handful of unvaxxed science deniers who are responsible for all problems on that front. Stop with your GOP bullshit of attacking the President and Vice President just because she is a female person of color.

Some of the things you mentioned are actually existential threats that would likely wipe out the species and some are not. Can you identify which ones would actually be likely to wipe out humanity?

The virus is under control. Stop posting misinformation. The President promised to, on day 1, get the virus under control and he has. It is a handful of unvaxxed science deniers who are responsible for all problems on that front. Stop with your GOP bullshit of attacking the President and Vice President just because she is a female person of color.

Did you not read that I wrote "worse viruses". SARS1 has/had a much higher death rate percentage than current Covid 19/SARS 2. Bird flu is said to be much more deadly a virus than other flu viruses but luckily it does not jump to humans very well at all.

There could be a "bug"/virus that kills at a very high percentage. That is what I am talking about. Yet tons of people wont even wear a friggin mask.

And I forgot about mention biological weapons that could spread out of control and nukes.

Last edited:
Without putting much thought into it, it's absolutely loaded with satire and sarcasm. With that said, I found it hilarious regardless of whether it was the actors/actresses themselves or the way they portrayed the higher up ups. I absolutely enjoyed it and loved how it ended.

Did you not read that I wrote "worse viruses". SARS1 has/had a much higher death rate percentage than current Covid 19/SARS 2. Bird flu is said to be much more deadly a virus than other flu viruses but luckily it does not jump to humans very well at all.

There could be a "bug"/virus that kills at a very high percentage. That is what I am talking about. Yet tons of people wont even wear a friggin mask.

And I forgot about mention biological weapons that could spread out of control and nukes.
Things would be a lot different if a more deadly virus came about. Most people aren't afraid of a .5% chance of death.

Depressing but true fact…James Earl Jones is the only surviving cast member.
Wow, never thought about that and yes just a super great movie.

The 'Sargent BatGuano" name was hilarious as well as so much else. George C. Scott just wackily played the general so well.

When Sellers was playing the German scientist and his arm kept springing up in the “heil Hitler” position I about peed my pants.

Latest posts