The Middle Finger To That Wacky Coronavirus COVID-19 Game Thread

The more this plays out, the more I think WAY more people have already gotten this virus than originally expected. I hope that's the case, because if it is, we are going to get through this way faster and the death rate is going to end up pretty low.

I'm not sure what your post means. It seems like you are insinuating that Germany is better at keeping deathly ill people alive but I know that's obviously not the case. What are you saying they are handling well? My guess is they are just testing more people who aren't deathly ill.

Just saying their ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is pretty low compared to most countries, that is all.

Just saying their ratio of deaths to confirmed cases is pretty low compared to most countries, that is all.

Ok. But that can only mean one of two things. One is they are testing more people who aren't deathly sick, and two is they are doing a better job of keeping the deathly sick from dying. I highly doubt it's the second one. If it's the first one, it doesn't mean they are lowering the true death rate. It only means they are lowering the known death rate. Which really doesn't help anything other than calm panic that this virus isn't as deadly as people think. So in that sense, I agree with you that they are doing it right. If every country would test more people, the known death rate would go down and people could stop worrying so much.

We all just need to relax and enjoy a few Corona Beers on St Patty's Day.

5e32b2f924306a6f9b6edd52

Now that states are ordering closure of businesses, I can just imagine how many lawsuits we'll see when this virus hysteria runs out of steam. The Colorado governor claims that we know there are thousands infected in Colorado, but only one death. We've literally had hundreds of deaths from the seasonal flu in the last two weeks.
IMG_20200316_230628.jpg

The more this plays out, the more I think WAY more people have already gotten this virus than originally expected. I hope that's the case, because if it is, we are going to get through this way faster and the death rate is going to end up pretty low.

I'd like to get tested to see if I actually had it a couple weeks ago. I wonder how many people had it, recovered or how long it's really been around here.

Ok. But that can only mean one of two things. One is they are testing more people who aren't deathly sick, and two is they are doing a better job of keeping the deathly sick from dying. I highly doubt it's the second one. If it's the first one, it doesn't mean they are lowering the true death rate. It only means they are lowering the known death rate. Which really doesn't help anything other than calm panic that this virus isn't as deadly as people think. So in that sense, I agree with you that they are doing it right. If every country would test more people, the known death rate would go down and people could stop worrying so much.

Sounds like a big part of it is more testing.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-why-does-germany-have-so-few-covid-19-deaths

However, S. Korea has tested more people than any country outside of China, and they still have a 1% mortality rate, compared to the 0.25% mortality rate of Germany.

file:///C:/Users/clayt/Desktop/covid-19-tests-country.svg

covid-19-tests-country.svg

Coronavirus: South Korea’s infection rate falls without citywide lockdowns like China, Italy

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3074469/coronavirus-south-korea-cuts-infection-rate-without

From the article:

South Korean officials have shared their experiences in containing the outbreak
saying that citywide lockdowns, as imposed by China in Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, are difficult to enforce in an open society.​
China also introduced strict social distancing and extensive monitoring of citizens and ensured their adherence to preventive measures with punishment and rewards, resulting in a significant drop in the number of new cases.

“Without harming the principle of a transparent and open society, we recommend a response system that blends voluntary public participation with creative applications of advanced technology,” South Korea’s Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told journalists.

Conventional and coercive measures such as lockdowns of affected areas have drawbacks, he said, undermining the spirit of democracy and alienating the public who should participate actively in preventive efforts.

“Public participation must be secured through openness and transparency,” he said.

South Korea has been proactive in providing its citizens with information needed to stay safe, including twice daily media briefings and emergency alerts sent by mobile phone to those living or working in districts where new cases have been confirmed.

Details about the travel histories of confirmed patients are also available on municipal websites, sometimes with breakdowns of a patient’s residence or employer, which can make them identifiable individually, leading to concerns about privacy.​

Here is what a local Hy-Vee in Iowa looks like today. However, I came across a gas station where un-leaded was $1.65.

Attachments

• 20200317_141018.jpg
    20200317_141018.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200317_141725.jpg
    20200317_141725.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like a big part of it is more testing.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/13/coronavirus-why-does-germany-have-so-few-covid-19-deaths

However, S. Korea has tested more people than any country outside of China, and they still have a 1% mortality rate, compared to the 0.25% mortality rate of Germany.

file:///C:/Users/clayt/Desktop/covid-19-tests-country.svg

covid-19-tests-country.svg
I wonder what the difference is then. Race? Weather? Diet? Health care? Why do Germans live at a better rate than Koreans? People are hopefully looking into it. Maybe Germany isn't as far into the timeline and more deaths are coming? I'm interested in knowing what the difference is.

From the article:

South Korean officials have shared their experiences in containing the outbreak
saying that citywide lockdowns, as imposed by China in Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, are difficult to enforce in an open society.​
China also introduced strict social distancing and extensive monitoring of citizens and ensured their adherence to preventive measures with punishment and rewards, resulting in a significant drop in the number of new cases.

“Without harming the principle of a transparent and open society, we recommend a response system that blends voluntary public participation with creative applications of advanced technology,” South Korea’s Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told journalists.

Conventional and coercive measures such as lockdowns of affected areas have drawbacks, he said, undermining the spirit of democracy and alienating the public who should participate actively in preventive efforts.

“Public participation must be secured through openness and transparency,” he said.

South Korea has been proactive in providing its citizens with information needed to stay safe, including twice daily media briefings and emergency alerts sent by mobile phone to those living or working in districts where new cases have been confirmed.

Details about the travel histories of confirmed patients are also available on municipal websites, sometimes with breakdowns of a patient’s residence or employer, which can make them identifiable individually, leading to concerns about privacy.​
If anything, this is a great test run for something more deadly that is bound to come.

Here is what a local Hy-Vee in Iowa looks like today. However, I came across a gas station where un-leaded was $1.65.
Whole lot of that goin on... Yeah gas has dropped here to under $2 I think. I paid like 2.14 a week ago. Crazy thing is it's still just getting started. Wait till hospitals have to turn folks away and employees stop going to work for all the Walmarts and food suppliers... Not to mention truck drivers. Nothing shuts down an economy faster then if the truckers significantly gets slowed down. These next 2-3 weeks will be interesting and very telling

Whole lot of that goin on... Yeah gas has dropped here to under $2 I think. I paid like 2.14 a week ago. Crazy thing is it's still just getting started. Wait till hospitals have to turn folks away and employees stop going to work for all the Walmarts and food suppliers... Not to mention truck drivers. Nothing shuts down an economy faster then if the truckers significantly gets slowed down. These next 2-3 weeks will be interesting and very telling
Hy Vee won't even take your pop cans, beer cans, glass bottles and plastic bottles for recycling.

Latest posts