The Herd is really calling out Iowa's schedule this morning!

From an earlier rant I did on this subject.

"So in total the SEC has 7 games vs power 5 teams, including 2 vs the B1G. The B1G has 16 games against power 5 teams. So which conference is avoiding games against power 5 teams?"

So honest question that hasn't been addressed. If the SEC's schedule "validates weak OOC scheduling" then why not schedule competitive programs (as a conference) since they get the benefit of the doubt anyway. If a quality program schedules a couple top 20 games a year and drops one of those games but gets it done in conference play they still have a chance at getting into the playoffs, since rumor has it a 2 loss SEC team could possibly beat out a 1 loss conference champ.

Think this is more of a shot at the Big 10 in general than anything else. Big Ten could play every non-conference against a Pac 12, Big 12, SEC or ACC school and would not get any props because the conference perception, with regards to football is so poor, the conference games get downplayed considerably.

Agree with you 100%, but then the argument should be limited to conference schedules rather than OOC since a lot of the big dogs aren't playing those either.

No they won't as there will be many 1 loss teams to choose from. The BIG has been down so the body of work will be looked at. OH State or Mich St can get a look with 1 loss, but not any BIG team without some kind of historical success. Too far to climb the hill, especially coming from the unranked at the beginning of the season.

Only 3-4 BIG teams with 1 loss would have a legit shot of having a chance this year, and that still could be a stretch.

There's only 4 teams in the B1G that could logically win out so that's pretty irreverent. It's also blatantly obvious the SEC is going to beat each other up with 6 games left. One of the Mississippi teams isn't even going to be in the conference championship game. Might as well just invite the top 3 SEC teams and FSU/ND with the way you guys are acting. The point of a playoff is to pin the worthy conference champs against each other not take 2-3 teams from one conference and have them play each other again, who would actually watch that..

Cowherd is an opinionated jerk that gets attention for talking dumb. He has his favorites like the Seahawks. Why wasn't he talking about them before they started winning. If he wanted to present his argument better he should have shown teams comparable to Iowa who are doing more.

Cowherd is an opinionated jerk that gets attention for talking dumb. He has his favorites like the Seahawks. Why wasn't he talking about them before they started winning. If he wanted to present his argument better he should have shown teams comparable to Iowa who are doing more.

Talking heads love to do that in college hoops too. Come tourney time they always say which teams are worthy and should be in the tournament, but never really say who they should replace and why.

Iowa is so far from being in the national championship picture it's hardly worth talking about. I mean if Iowa had beaten ISU I can see our hopes being up right now. But that's only because of the big fat maybe of what running the table would mean and what everyone else might look like by then. But really it's not something to get bent out of shape about as of now. Iowa really should make an effort to schedule tougher teams going forward that are preferably not on the west coast. (never seem to have any luck out there) Who Iowa plays in conference is out of their hands obviously. But getting rid of ISU and MAC schools would be a great start. Not just because Iowa struggles with ISU but we gain nothing by winning it. Pretty much nothing but bragging rights that I could care less about. We should be above that with bigger goals in mind.

Think this is more of a shot at the Big 10 in general than anything else. Big Ten could play every non-conference against a Pac 12, Big 12, SEC or ACC school and would not get any props because the conference perception, with regards to football is so poor, the conference games get downplayed considerably.

Well, we'd have to win a good portion of them, of course.

Playing them and losing most of them would not help.

If we played them, I think the B10 would do just fine.

The fact is that OOC doesn't matter at all and the SEC is proof of that. What matters is that we use a ranking system to vault teams to the top when they beat over rated teams week in and week out. LSU and Texas A&M may have been ranked that high, but IMO neither belonged there. The fact is no other teams in the nation vault that high because the likelihood of playing 3 top ten teams in back-to-back-to-back weeks simply doesn't happen in other conferences because other teams have to prove themselves based on body of work and not based on conference affiliation.

You would have a point if unbiased computers didn't view things the same way. Ole Miss, Miss State and Auburn will be top-5 teams in almost any ranking you find.

As a conference, the Big Ten didn't win any of their 5 matchups against current Top 25 teams. The SEC won 3 of 4. On the other end of the spectrum, the Big Ten lost to Bowling Green, Iowa State, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, etc; Temple and Indiana (edit: and #11 Oklahoma) are the only OOC games that the whole SEC lost. Dominate non-conference play, and you're allowed to beat-up on each other without losing credibility.

I think most Iowa fans that saw the schedule this year said to themselves "man, this sets up really well for us!". That's not because Iowa had to run the gauntlet, it's because even Iowa fans recognize this year's schedule was easy.

Having said that... Cowherd tends to be an idiot, so evaluating his opinions leads to headaches--I'd advise against it (or even listening to him). Second, people don't adore Bama and the likes because of their out of conference schedule, it's because they're insanely talented and they play good teams in their conference along the way. Nobody is using Bama's win over Florida Atlantic as a benchmark for distinguishing a championship caliber team from one that isn't. Instead, they're busy shouting "SEC wins" whilst ignoring that some of those SEC opponents aren't even that good.

Iowa has a problem with bad teams. So this is a hard schedule.

Kirks nightmare

UNI
CMU
WMU
PUR
MIN
NW
ISU
NIU
BSU
IU
Illinois
Was thinking that myself last night. Has plaqued Kirk and Hawks for years. That's why today's game IMO favors Maryland if I was a betting man.