The Herd is really calling out Iowa's schedule this morning!

I doubt the SEC would agree to that, too much to lose. They're happy playing a pathetic non-conference schedule and then playing themselves.

This, unfortunately, is probably correct.

The B10 Conference should loudly beat on the SEC Conference door in a very public manner until the SEC looks to be avoiding the series.

These are the only Power 5 teams to play 2 non-conference games vs other Power 5:
Maryland,
Michigan,
Iowa,
Northwestern,
West Virginia,
Clemson,
Louisville,
FSU,
Syracuse,
UCLA,
USC
Georgia

Just 12 teams did so and Iowa does it nearly every year. Granted we're not playing the top teams, but what team would give us a home-and-home series like Pitt, Arizona St, Syracuse, Arizona, etc have done through the years?

Last edited:
I agree the SEC is overrated and the BIG underrated as a whole but the only way you change that bias is to win big non-conference games. The BIG doesn't and it gets the reputation is deserves.

A big problem in the Big Ten is we typically play up in bowl games. For example, a 7-5 Iowa vs a 10-2 Missouri or a 7-5 Iowa vs 9-3 Oklahoma. That's playing an opponent who finished higher in their own conference and that's bound to end up in more losses. Everybody looks at the bowl record, like 3-7 or whatever, but not how we got there (as a conference).

Here's what I got, could be off 1 or 2 though. This includes Note Dame and extra conference games. Games vs Power 5 teams and ND.

ACC - 17
Big 12 - 19
Big 10 - 17
Pac 12 - 19
SEC - 10

Who plays weaker competition?

you give the pac 12 and big 12 credit for playing an extra conference game by giving each team an extra power 5 game? that's the only way your numbers make any sense.

Oh great. Now that he came up with the "iowa has corn" joke, they will probably start showing some farmer in a combine at the beginning of every espn telivised iowa game.

He said Iowa will never win a national title, so stop scheduling Northern Iowa, Central Iowa, and Iowa School of.... and start scheduling teams your fan base wants to see!

Says he is not picking on Iowa. "I fly over Iowa all the time! I eat corn all day!"

Yawn, raise tooth pick to mouth, muse that its nice to get noticed.

A big problem in the Big Ten is we typically play up in bowl games. For example, a 7-5 Iowa vs a 10-2 Missouri or a 7-5 Iowa vs 9-3 Oklahoma. That's playing an opponent who finished higher in their own conference and that's bound to end up in more losses. Everybody looks at the bowl record, like 3-7 or whatever, but not how we got there (as a conference).

absolutely. Then look at the Big12 bowl pairings for a laugh.

This is very true because a 7-5 B1G team has a big fan base and will put as*es in the seats for the Bowl game. Bowl reps say this all the time. So a 7-5 B1G will usually get paired up against an 8-4 or 9-3 team from another P5 school.

These are the only Power 5 teams to play 2 non-conference games vs other Power 5:
Maryland,
Michigan,
Iowa,
Northwestern,
West Virginia,
Clemson,
Louisville,
FSU,
Syracuse,
UCLA,
USC
Georgia

Just 12 teams did so and Iowa does it nearly every year. Granted we're not playing the top teams, but what team would give us a home-and-home series like Pitt, Arizona St, Syracuse, Arizona, etc have done through the years?

You need to send this list to Mr. Terd ... seriously.

SEC non conf:
Arkansas vs Nicholls St, Northern IL, UAB and Tx Tech
Auburn vs San Jose St, Samford, La Tech, KSU
Florida v E Mich, E Kent, FSU
Georgia v Clemson, Troy, Charl Southern, Ga Tech
Kentucky vs UT Martin, Ohio, UL Monroe, Louisville
LSU vs Wisc, Sam Houston, UL Monroe, New Mexico St
Miss St vs Southern Miss, UAB, UT Martin, South Alabama
Missouri vs South Dakota St, Toledo, UCF, Indiana
Old Miss vs Boise, La Lafayette, Memphis, PRESBYTERIAN!!!
South Carolina vs East Car, Furman, South Alabama, Clemson
Tennessee vs Utah St, Arkansas State, Chattanooga, OK
Texas A&M vs Lamar, Rice, SMU, UL Monroe
Vanderbilt v Temple, UMass, Charl South, ODU
Alabama vs WV, Florida Atlantic, Southern Miss, Western Carolina

4 teams played zero Power 5

That's crazy. How do we know the SEC teams are the best thing since sliced bread? They haven't beaten anyone. Mizzou was considered a top-tier SEC team and then Indiana beat them at home. West Virginia played Alabama competitively and barely beat MD. But we don't need to let facts get in the way of the narrative.

Let's be honest, here. We are not getting credit for two P5 games because one of them was against ISU. That is where the credibility takes a hit (oh--and we lost that one).

These talking heads crack me up with their ridiculous scenarios. He can bag on Iowa all he wants, but at the end of the day any 1 loss team in the B1G will make the playoff regardless of schedule.

The amount of hype having 1 team from different p5 conferences is way too important from a media standpoint. The Big12 is pretty much the odd man out in just about every scenario too. Not having a conference title game is going to punish them.

All I'm going to say is that it sure is easy being critical AFTER knowing results of outputs of games. Who knew Ball State was going to tank. Pitt was supposed to be decent & that's a formidable non-conf opponent on the schedule. Also, that game was on the road. N Iowa is an FCS team, but a top team which is better than scheduling a crappy FBS team.

He's a freaking hack, & not just because I don't agree with his comments about Iowa, it's because he's hard to listen to. He's a shock jockey trying to rile fans & leave a mark. It's actually quite cute to watch. He's pretty much plateaued which is sorry for him.

Iowa's average non-con opponent is ranked 79.5 and Alabama's is ranked 114. Hard to believe Alabama plays an even easier non-con schedule than we do, by far. Cowherd is right. We should adopt SEC schedules.

All these post showing me who everyone else has played is great, now show me the scores of those games. IMO that will be the difference because Iowa damn lucky to be 5-1 with this weak *** schedule. I will take it though but damn it's not been easy.

Example someone mentions Alabama Schedule those 3 games they have played so far have an average combined margin of victory of 42-11.. Iowa has faced all 4 of it's non-conference fors and the average margin of victory is 22-19.

Arkansas 3 non-conference games average margin is 58-16.

Last edited:
These talking heads crack me up with their ridiculous scenarios. He can bag on Iowa all he wants, but at the end of the day any 1 loss team in the B1G will make the playoff regardless of schedule.

The amount of hype having 1 team from different p5 conferences is way too important from a media standpoint. The Big12 is pretty much the odd man out in just about every scenario too. Not having a conference title game is going to punish them.

There are several scenarios that would come up to where the B1G would not get a single team in the playoff....And that is including Michigan state who lost at Oregon. You better hope for Ole Miss and Miss State to go down before the egg bowl if you want to see a B1G representative in the playoff. The Pac 12 are beating each other up so they are helping but you also need the Big 12 front runners to stumble.

It is going to be messy at the end of the year but interesting to see who is snubbed.

Latest posts