The Fran Conundrum

Was Tyler Cook rated top 30 in the country?

Yep, but do you know what he averaged in HS his senior year? He averaged 13 points and 7 rebounds. Would you expect that from a top 30 player in the country? Again, this is strictly about numbers. :)

Playing for their high school team is a more accurate predictor than playing AAU where defense is optional.

This right on.

Another place where Iowa players are taught optional defense is that summer league they play in. Fran needs to ban participation in that league. I went to one of those games a few years back and I saw no value in it at all unless bad habits is what you are after.

JMO

Yes, he did, his senior year. Not a lot of prolific scorers in the Big 10 that year. 20 points and 6 assists a game led the league. JMO but I think AW is a perfect example. He did lead the league in shot attempts too, by 40. He was about 4th in shooting % at around 45% and 35% from 3 pt. And If I remember right he shot a lot of free throws. His first two years at Iowa 12 and 13 pts. per game 5 assists. A good solid PG just what Iowa needs.

So, just looking at offensive numbers, Bohannon has averaged:

10.9 points/5.1 assists - freshman year
11.8 points/5.0 assists - sophomore year

Do you consider him a good, solid PG?

Yep, but do you know what he averaged in HS his senior year? He averaged 13 points and 7 rebounds. Would you expect that from a top 30 player in the country? Again, this is strictly about numbers. :)
He was ranked anywhere from 72 to 87. Remember when folks were talking about one and done? lmfao

Does Patrick McCaffery play with a real one & done Jayson Tatum clone?

He was ranked anywhere from 72 to 87. Remember when folks were talking about one and done? lmfao

Yes, that is funny. I would agree with you there. However, Cook's HS numbers were not what his rating was based off of. You may not like it, and I agree with you at a certain level, but AAU and the camps that were mentioned are highly regarded in recruiting. They just are.

So, Patrick McCaffrey may not have eye-popping numbers, but he is highly regarded at this time. I am just hoping that a coaching decision isn't necessarily based on something like this.

Yes, that is funny. I would agree with you there. However, Cook's HS numbers were not what his rating was based off of. You may not like it, and I agree with you at a certain level, but AAU and the camps that were mentioned are highly regarded in recruiting. They just are.

So, Patrick McCaffrey may not have eye-popping numbers, but he is highly regarded at this time. I am just hoping that a coaching decision isn't necessarily based on something like this.
Seriously though, how many points do you think PMac would score if his teammate was Jayson Tatum? lol

Hell no, I don't care if he ever plays at Iowa if getting rid of Fran is what is best for the program. I just think it's crazy for anyone to call them over or under rated before they've even played a second of college basketball. That is, unless you are watching all the other players they are rated against to give that type of opinion. It just seems baseless.

why's he over rated?

Cause I saw him 1 time play when he was 15... trust me he's over rated.

OK

I’m sorry... I thought this was a message board where people come to post their opinions. I must be in the wrong place.

Nah man... give em. Just expect the counter. I personally feel like the services do their homework and I really can only trust the projection of someone who is being paid to do what they do and also sees all the other candidates that are up for ranking. It's all a crap shoot and you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. I haven't shit on it at all, I was honestly asking how you came up with the theory. Like, where do you get that opinion from? and mostly I've compiled a "cause i say so" answer, which is why I want to point it out.

Nah man... give em. Just expect the counter. I personally feel like the services do their homework and I really can only trust the projection of someone who is being paid to do what they do and also sees all the other candidates that are up for ranking. It's all a crap shoot and you're entitled to your opinion and I respect it. I haven't shit on it at all, I was honestly asking how you came up with the theory. Like, where do you get that opinion from? and mostly I've compiled a "cause i say so" answer, which is why I want to point it out.
Seeing where his brother started as a recruit and where he ended was one of the first points that I made, which is not “I said so.”

But again none of this matters. You say that if they don’t make the tourney next year Fran should be gone, at which point Pat would be too. We should really be talking about how on the name of god’s green earth are we going to make the tournament next year with what we project to have? You’ve already stated how you think they’ll get there but I would say the majority of the people around here think a jump to the tourney next year is fairly unlikely.

Let me pose a hypothetical, if you could look through a telescope to the end of next year and Iowa was not in the tournament, knowing that, would you fire Fran after this season?

Seeing where his brother started as a recruit and where he ended was one of the first points that I made, which is not “I said so.

But again none of this matters. You say that if they don’t make the tourney next year Fran should be gone, at which point Pat would be too. We should really be talking about how on the name of god’s green earth are we going to make the tournament next year with what we project to have? You’ve already stated how you think they’ll get there but I would say the majority of the people around here think a jump to the tourney next year is fairly unlikely.

Let me pose a hypothetical, if you could look through a telescope to the end of next year and Iowa was not in the tournament, knowing that, would you fire Fran after this season?

But what does his brother have anything to do with him besides being brothers? 2 different players, in 2 different classes at 2 different positions. You are more then less saying, cause I say so. And that's fine. You are entitled to that, I just want to be clear on that being the reason.

And my answer to your question is an emphatic NO. IMO, I can't fire a guy who's record the previous 5 seasons is 108-64 with 5 straight upper half conference finishes with 3 NCAA appearances and 2 NCAA wins. Not when I consider where the program was when he took it over. Not when I consider that his last 2 classes appear to be pretty good, just not mature, and his next 2 classes appear to be good as well. He's also started landing out of state kids that are ranked higher then we've seen at Iowa for a long while. I'd give him the chance to correct his mistakes. While his rotation drives me nuts, I don't think he and his staff forgot what winning basketball looks like over night. He's built up SOME good will over the past few years with me. I would give him a shot to get it pointed the right way.

If he fails after getting that opportunity, you betcha - I fire him.

Have not gone through the whole thread, but I will say this that I think despite whatever recruit Fran brings in (his boys, Joe, whatever), this staff has to coach them. The problems this team is having now we can certainly find elements of the same problems with Fran's best teams at Iowa.

The three main reasons why he will get more time (I think at least 2 years)

1. Barta is the AD and this would be his 2nd failed hire he would have to fire.
2. Fran's boys are coming in and Joe W
3. For rebuilding Iowa during the White, Marble, Jared U years.

If I were to make a bet on it, I don't think he is going to get this done in his second act. It is a shame because I thought we likely got a good gem in a coach for our program after the last 2 failures. I also wonder if Fran might be thinking he wants out of here to and will bolt like Alford did. Would not surprise me.

But what does his brother have anything to do with him besides being brothers? 2 different players, in 2 different classes at 2 different positions. You are more then less saying, cause I say so. And that's fine. You are entitled to that, I just want to be clear on that being the reason.

And my answer to your question is an emphatic NO. IMO, I can't fire a guy who's record the previous 5 seasons is 108-64 with 5 straight upper half conference finishes with 3 NCAA appearances and 2 NCAA wins. Not when I consider where the program was when he took it over. Not when I consider that his last 2 classes appear to be pretty good, just not mature, and his next 2 classes appear to be good as well. He's also started landing out of state kids that are ranked higher then we've seen at Iowa for a long while. I'd give him the chance to correct his mistakes. While his rotation drives me nuts, I don't think he and his staff forgot what winning basketball looks like over night. He's built up SOME good will over the past few years with me. I would give him a shot to get it pointed the right way.

If he fails after getting that opportunity, you betcha - I fire him.
Sorry you haven’t grasped that yet so I will flat out say it. Their last name is part of the reason they are being overrated by these scouting services. Actually according to these services that you trust so much they are both small forwards so they do play the same position.

Anyways your opinion on the latter is admirable. I certainly respect what Fran has done here which is part of the reason I think it’s tough. Outside of bringing in a transfer or really changing philosophy, I don’t see the path out of this, and therefore I think it makes sense to get out now. Hopefully I am wrong and he turns it around next year.

I don't know if Patrick is over rated or not. But if he is a legit top 30 player, you absolutely keep Fran because of him. Players win games, and Wieskamp is probably under rated if anything. If Patrick is somehow top 30, that's 2 top 30 type players in a row. When a coach at Iowa brings in that talent, you keep him and live with the coaching deficiencies.

I don't know if Patrick is over rated or not. But if he is a legit top 30 player, you absolutely keep Fran because of him. Players win games, and Wieskamp is probably under rated if anything. If Patrick is somehow top 30, that's 2 top 30 type players in a row. When a coach at Iowa brings in that talent, you keep him and live with the coaching deficiencies.
What I heard was we should have kept Lickliter cuz he brought in lil Lick. :)

For the record, I do agree that there is a good chance McCafferys were over rated due to their name. When they get ranked early in their careers, there isn't much to go on. So a known last name will make them stand above others.

Did Connor's ranking drop because he was over ranked? Or was it because he committed to Iowa and that's what happens when you commit to Iowa? Wieskamp dropped after committing to Iowa even tho every camp he went to and everything he showed in high school would lead you to believe his ranking would improve. The top camp he went to basically called him a top 10ish player by making him an All Star.

Latest posts