The Fran Conundrum

He started out on ESPN's top 25 at 25 and ended up 99. That still makes him in the top 10 recruits to come to Iowa in the last 20 years right?

Edit* this is with the disclaimer that it was ESPN that ranked him that highly and got the train started.
Espn is widely known as the worst service. But what’s your point. I still see him as highly overrated at 99. Brad Davison wasn’t a top 100 kid on Espn and he would eat Cmac alive.

You do realize that the top recruit in the nation is averaging 21 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3 assists per game, right? Not enough to lead any state in any category. Yet he is the 247 #1 overall recruit.

It's almost like these guys play basketball in some other capacity then their high school team?

You do realize that the top recruit in the nation is averaging 21 points, 6.5 rebounds and 3 assists per game, right? Not enough to lead any state in any category. Yet he is the 247 #1 overall recruit.
Well, maybe he's overrated. IDK anything about him. I do know that Patrick McCaffery is not a Top 30 recruit.

Espn is widely known as the worst service. But what’s your point. I still see him as highly overrated at 99. Brad Davison wasn’t a top 100 kid on Espn and he would eat Cmac alive.

again, based on what? You're opinion... fine. But he hasn't played enough basketball in college to be deemed 1 way or the other.

So all Iowa needs is a point guard that leads the league in scoring and assists? Has anyone checked the local rec? ;)

I get your point, but woolridge isn’t the example. I’d take Pierre pierce, without all the rapiness.

So, JBo is 3rd in the Big 10 in assists this year (and he had 10 assists last night). :)

I agree totally with your post but I'm not sure I would call it a conundrum. I don't think there should be any question at this point. We will end up at the bottom of the Big Ten and really don't have a realistic chance at the tournament next year, and I fear we will be talking about this same thing next time next year.
It’s a conundrum in the fact that we know our AD isn’t going to do anything but also for me in the fact that I like Fran and appreciate what he’s done here, but this looks like a sinking ship.

How many offers did this kid have and how many offers did PMac have?

Well, maybe he's overrated. IDK anything about him. I do know that Patrick McCaffery is not a Top 30 recruit.

I always picture f'ing Booger schooling me in high school basketball recruiting. :)

I just don't honestly watch enough high school basketball to have some sort of opinion that I can definitively say something like that. I dunno how you have the time to watch it or how you watch other recruits film and stuff. But, I have found you to be a fairly trust worthy poster so I do hold your opinion higher then most, so I am not just dashing it. U typically know what's up.

Playing for their high school team is a more accurate predictor than playing AAU where defense is optional.

He's probably ranked that highly based on the camps he's gone to as much as AAU. No offense dude but Bossi is as respected in the scouting business as anybody outside of actual coaches.

Weiskamp is very good. I haven't seen him but people that know more than me rave about him.

There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the Iowa program but Joe W and P Mac are not the reasons, at all.

I always picture f'ing Booger schooling me in high school basketball recruiting. :)

I just don't honestly watch enough high school basketball to have some sort of opinion that I can definitively say something like that. I dunno how you have the time to watch it or how you watch other recruits film and stuff. But, I have found you to be a fairly trust worthy poster so I do hold your opinion higher then most, so I am not just dashing it. U typically know what's up.
Thanks. I'm not saying PMac isn't Div1 player or anything. I've just seen him play in person enough and video to know that there's no way in hell he's Top 30 in the country.

He's probably ranked that highly based on the camps he's gone to as much as AAU. No offense dude but Bossi is as respected in the scouting business as anybody outside of actual coaches.

Weiskamp is very good. I haven't seen him but people that know more than me rave about him.

There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about the Iowa program but Joe W and P Mac are not the reasons, at all.
Sigh. Please point out where I dissed Wieskamp.

Okay. All the recruiting stuff aside.

The point of the OP was does Iowa has a legitimate chance of making the tournament next season? If not, what is the point of waiting until then to move on from Fran?

Thanks. I'm not saying PMac isn't Div1 player or anything. I've just seen him play in person enough and video to know that there's no way in hell he's Top 30 in the country.

oh I didn't think you were, I just didn't know you had eyes and ears that closely to the pulse of all the top basketball players in his class to know that type of thing. I am glad that you are high on Joe tho.

So all Iowa needs is a point guard that leads the league in scoring and assists? Has anyone checked the local rec? ;)

I get your point, but woolridge isn’t the example. I’d take Pierre pierce, without all the rapiness.

Yes, he did, his senior year. Not a lot of prolific scorers in the Big 10 that year. 20 points and 6 assists a game led the league. JMO but I think AW is a perfect example. He did lead the league in shot attempts too, by 40. He was about 4th in shooting % at around 45% and 35% from 3 pt. And If I remember right he shot a lot of free throws. His first two years at Iowa 12 and 13 pts. per game 5 assists. A good solid PG just what Iowa needs.

The point of the OP was does Iowa has a legitimate chance of making the tournament next season? If not, what is the point of waiting until then to move on from Fran?

I do agree with this. If a school is at the point of possibly moving on from a coach, I would rather do it now then wait to see and have to do it after another season. Once belief is gone, it's time to move on.

In this case (at Iowa), I don't think the administration has lost faith in Fran (yet). I am not sure what they need to see to get there, but there are signs.

I think Iowa could, but there would have to be some pretty drastic improvement from current players.

Don't be dumb. You can't talk offers with PMac. The effort opposing coaches put in is probably zero and should have been.

Regardless, I'm confident it's more than Locure.
Technically, Locure has one more offer than PMac. :p
Regardless, if PMac was truly top 30, he'd have quite a few decent offers despite being Fran's kid. BTW, my opinion of him has nothing to do with offers, I was just playing around.

Aren't you a cyclone fan anyways? Pretty rich telling me not to be dumb lol

Latest posts