Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

and there's no way the faculty would approve a move from formally sharing resources with the likes of Duke and Virginia to either no research consortium at all or a newly formed one with Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

While I don't think the move will happen, you happened to choose two of the worst schools in the conference. Playing devil's advocate, they'd also get access to Texas and ISU in a newly-formed sharing agreement; both of which are excellent research schools.

While I don't think the move will happen, you happened to choose two of the worst schools in the conference. Playing devil's advocate, they'd also get access to Texas and ISU in a newly-formed sharing agreement; both of which are excellent research schools.

There are about a thousand different ways to measure the quality of schools, and they all have their flaws. But every single one would put the schools in the ACC, as a group, far, far ahead of the schools that currently constitute the Big 12. In the US News and World Report rankings, 10 of the 12 current ACC schools are in the top 100, as are Pitt and Syracuse. For the Big 12, it's 3 (Texas, Iowa State, and TCU, with Iowa State and TCU in a tie for #97).

The Center for University Measurement does another set of rankings, focused much more on research. They come up with five current or future ACC schools in their top 50: Duke (#7), UNC (#17), Pitt (#27), UVA (#32), Georgia Tech (#36). The Big 12's only top 50 school is Texas (#15).

Now the ironic thing is that Florida State isn't on any of those lists. They tie for #101 on the US News ranking with Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, NC State, and others. Academically, they are a much better fit with the Big 12. But that doesn't mean their faculty or administration see themselves (or want to see themselves) that way.

This is everything I have been hearing and posting about here. I have been thinking Wake is a good fit for the B12 to help with the academic issues.

I think we are once again in "Cuban Missile Crisis" phase. Instead of waiting on Texas and Oklahoma, we're waiting on FSU and Clemson. If they go, and for the record, I'm still reluctant to believe they will, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Big 10 and everyone else; including ND does.

I think we are once again in "Cuban Missile Crisis" phase. Instead of waiting on Texas and Oklahoma, we're waiting on FSU and Clemson. If they go, and for the record, I'm still reluctant to believe they will, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, the Big 10 and everyone else; including ND does.

You would have to think the ACC would be fair game for raiding or They might try to combine with the Big East to stop the damage.

I can see Florida State going to the Big 12, but there are a lot of posters on CF who seem to think Notre Dame is also going to join the Big 12. I don't understand their thought process, and I have told them countless times it is never going to happen, but they still cling to the dream. Oh well, I guess they can talk about it all they want, it won't change anything.

From an academic standpoint, ND makes 0 sense in the Big 12. Not sure how much that matters. In addition to academic similarities to the Big 10, ND has 3 traditional rivals in conference and another huge rivalry with USC from our new "partners," the Pac 12. If ND ever feels forced to join a conference, it will be the Big 10

I think the ISU posters only want ND so they can come over here and brag and talk crap that they finally landed them over the Big 10.

I think the ISU posters only want ND so they can come over here and brag and talk crap that they finally landed them over the Big 10.

Clown fans should be careful what they wish for. They really need their conference to add teams that won't immediately push Iowa State down in the standings as soon as they get in. Teams like Wichita State or Western Illinois or that Texas school where Dan McCarney coaches. Adding FSU, Clemson, ND or any other major-conference school is going to completely screw ISU.

Clown fans should be careful what they wish for. They really need their conference to add teams that won't immediately push Iowa State down in the standings as soon as they get in. Teams like Wichita State or Western Illinois or that Texas school where Dan McCarney coaches. Adding FSU, Clemson, ND or any other major-conference school is going to completely screw ISU.

Exactly

Wichita State, Western Illinois, North Texas?

Not a chance, won't happen.

Latest posts