Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

Dwayne. I'd like to thank the ISU fan that must have boned your wife or punched your grandma or kicked your dog for making you so insufferable and bitter. It's truly entertaining.

You know the message board fan I mentioned above? yea you do. I'm guessing you know him very well.

Who the eff are you?

Hey DTwill...you're a legend in your own mind but not on here, regardless of what your number of posts are. Get out of your snow globe and think a little bit.

Hey DTwill...you're a legend in your own mind but not on here, regardless of what your number of posts are. Get out of your snow globe and think a little bit.

I hereby nominate dwaynetwill for "2012 self proclaimed king of the Internet".

We'll see how this goes over with the committee.

FSU president lays out pros/cons of Big 12 move - Yahoo! Sports

''I want to assure you that any decision made about FSU athletics will be reasoned and thoughtful and based on athletics, finances and academics,'' Barron wrote. ''Allow me to provide you with some of the issues we are facing:''
Barron outlined four points made by those who support a move:
- The ACC is more of a basketball conference than a football league.
- The ACC is too North Carolina centric and the conference's TV contract gives the stronger basketball schools an advantage.
- The Big 12's powerful football schools are a better match for Florida State.
- The Big 12's impending new TV contract might make Florida State $2.9 million more per year than the ACC's new deal and Florida State needs the money.
Barron countered that the ACC shares its football and basketball revenue equally. The only revenue that is not shared equally is certain media rights for women's basketball and Olympic sports, and that is to Florida State's benefit.
He also said Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M have left the Big 12 over the past two years because the conference does not share revenue equally. The Big 12 is on the way to changing that. Its members having agreed in October to start sharing equally revenue from its most lucrative media rights deals. The Big 12 does allow its members to hold some media rights and run their own networks, such as Texas' Longhorn Network.
Barron wrote the Big 12 is at least as Texas centered as the ACC is North Carolina centered and that the Texas schools are expected to play each other. He wrote that the ''most likely scenario'' leaves Florida State playing Kansas State, Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia.
Florida State already has problems selling out its home games. Barron wrote that playing those schools would not cure that problem.
He also writes that the possible financial gains the Tallahassee-based school could make under the Big 12 TV contract might not be enough to make up for the cost of competing in that league.
Other FSU sports teams would have to make longer road trips and that could eat away any of the financial benefits of a better TV deal in the Big 12.
Barron also stated a move to the Big 12 could cost the school its rivalry game against Miami. Plus, ''It will cost between $20-$25 million to leave the ACC - we have no idea where that money could come from.''
Lastly, he added: ''The faculty are adamantly opposed to joining a league that is academically weaker ... ''

Translation: Not going to happen.

Yeah I do not understand why any school would want to leave the ACC for the Big12. Academically the 2 conferences are night and day. I know money talks but having to pay $25 million just to leave the ACC does not look like it would pay for itself.

Yeah I do not understand why any school would want to leave the ACC for the Big12. Academically the 2 conferences are night and day. I know money talks but having to pay $25 million just to leave the ACC does not look like it would pay for itself.

I've asked this before but what exactly does this do for FSU? Does the ACC have a research arm like the B1G with the CIC? Until someone can verify that a move to the Big XII would be detrimental to FSU academics I'm going to assume that a move to the Big XII is based upon money. More money get's FSU to jump...

On the topic of conference academic strength; the Big XII does not have a research conglomerate like the B1G (CIC). We don't really need one with glorified JC's like TTU and WVU in the conference BUT Iowa State is still able to partner with top tier research institutions. I personally know of engineering partnerships between ISU & Wisconsin and ISU & Illinois. I'm assuming there are others that I can't personally vouch for.

Yes, the ACC blows the Big XII out of the academic water but FSU's proximity to other ACC institutions could presumably help them get partnerships with them regardless of where their football team plays it's games.

Unless a back door deal where Slive takes NC State and Va Tech and Delaney takes Maryland and UVA and ?, and Bowlsby takes Miami, G Tech, and 2 other schools so the majority of ACC teams decided to vote to change the rules for leaving, as there would only be the BE defectors left in a stripped conference.

I've asked this before but what exactly does this do for FSU? Does the ACC have a research arm like the B1G with the CIC? Until someone can verify that a move to the Big XII would be detrimental to FSU academics I'm going to assume that a move to the Big XII is based upon money. More money get's FSU to jump...

On the topic of conference academic strength; the Big XII does not have a research conglomerate like the B1G (CIC). We don't really need one with glorified JC's like TTU and WVU in the conference BUT Iowa State is still able to partner with top tier research institutions. I personally know of engineering partnerships between ISU & Wisconsin and ISU & Illinois. I'm assuming there are others that I can't personally vouch for.

Yes, the ACC blows the Big XII out of the academic water but FSU's proximity to other ACC institutions could presumably help them get partnerships with them regardless of where their football team plays it's games.

1. You're right that faculty can collaborate with anyone they choose, regardless of athletic conference. Iowa faculty have partnerships with their counterparts at UNC, Virginia, Harvard, Cal, etc., etc. But, consortia like CIC make all of that work easier by cutting out a lot of the bureaucratic/funding red tape that can go with inter-university partnerships. They also increase the university's resources by a factor of 11: you basically get access to eleven other library systems, eleven other study abroad programs, etc., etc.

The ACC does have something like this:

ACCIAC

and there's no way the faculty would approve a move from formally sharing resources with the likes of Duke and Virginia to either no research consortium at all or a newly formed one with Oklahoma State and Kansas State.

2. The other issue with academics is the way schools in the same conference race to the bottom with admissions standards. You can enter a conference saying you're going to keep your same standards and not oversign, but the first year you lose a bunch of recruits to a rival in your conference and end up in the bottom of the league, the entire university will be under enormous pressure to lower their admissions standards.

Now, has FSU been the model for rigorous admissions for football players? No, but there's no way their faculty is going to approve something that leads them even further down that road. I do get the sense that they are trying to put the excesses of the 90s behind them.

3. Travel and revenue-- their president is spot on when he says that any extra money they make from a larger television contract is going to be given back with more travel expenses. They have a lot of teams-- 8 for men, 10 for women. As an AD, do you want to trade your basketball team's yearly road trips to Miami and Atlanta for trips to Lawrence and Ames? And what's your hit in terms of revenue when you swap your home games with Duke and North Carolina for ones with Texas Tech and Kansas State?

Latest posts