Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

I'll bet ya a friendly 10 bucks. It might take a couple of years, but I'm not going anywhere. BTW, I actually pay my bets if I should happen to lose. No, I'm not the manager of a used car lot, I'm Golfer, and I'm from Cedar Rapids. If it don't start to happen by the fall of 2013, I'll pay ya.

You're still beating this idiot drum that Iowa State is going to get kicked out of the Big XII? Come on.

I never said ISU would get kicked out, just that they don't fit real well and the West has nine teams.

To answer the other person, NC State is going to the SEC along with Va Tech. That is a done deal I am hearing.

The only way Iowa State, a founding member of the Big6/8/12, is not in the Big 12 is if they leave on their own or the Big 12 disbands. Neither is happening any time soon.

05-22-2012 08:07 PMGolfer
Too lazy to read 18 pages. Did someone say ISU was getting kicked out of the Big 12?

I think it was a misunderstanding. Not sure anyone would believe ISU would get kicked out.

The VA Tech and NC State to the SEC thing is interesting. How good are your sources CAAR?

I'll bet ya a friendly 10 bucks. It might take a couple of years, but I'm not going anywhere. BTW, I actually pay my bets if I should happen to lose. No, I'm not the manager of a used car lot, I'm Golfer, and I'm from Cedar Rapids. If it don't start to happen by the fall of 2013, I'll pay ya.

At least some on here will follow through on their lost bets...I'm still waiting for $20 from Cyclones17!

05-22-2012 08:30 PMISUFB
Still think that Clemson and FSU isn't going to heppen Dwayne?

Remember when Texas and co to the PAC 12 was a done deal? This is all just talk right now. It seems more likely than it did a week ago, but things can change in a hurry

I had heard the Texas to the PAC thing was a done deal. Of course the third tier TV rights thing killed that. The ACC contract is such a dog, it is still better for the ACC teams to jump to the B12 even with the cash discrepancy with the third tier rights.

If you have a conference that lets a school like Texas walk all over the other members then they are a perfect landing spot for Notre Dame. Notre Dame coming to the B1G will never happen as B1G would force them to play by our rules.

That conference would be a better fit for ND. They aren't really a research institution and they would want to be able to keep their third tier rights, which is what their national network is going to have to turn into because, as the ratings indicate, they really aren't network worthy anymore. By the next TV contract it will be obvious that they can make more money going with the B12 contract and then having a side deal for an ND network. That ABC contract might also be why ND couldn't switch in all sports now.

And yes, the B1G would not allow this.

That conference would be a better fit for ND. They aren't really a research institution and they would want to be able to keep their third tier rights, which is what their national network is going to have to turn into because, as the ratings indicate, they really aren't network worthy anymore. By the next TV contract it will be obvious that they can make more money going with the B12 contract and then having a side deal for an ND network. That ABC contract might also be why ND couldn't switch in all sports now.

I agree. I thought that the rivalries with Michigan, MSU, and Purdue were really important to ND, but from what I've read, they aren't has sacred as I thought. The ND rumor is really starting to pick up steam, and the FSU and Clemson deal seems to be close to reality. But we all know how quickly thinigs can change. Would Big 12 teams make as much money as the B1G teams if ND, FSU, Clemson, and whoever else were added to the conference?

According to Chip Brown, Georgia Tech is also showing interest in the Big 12.

Last edited:
You really think that more success in the last 5-10 years makes them a better overall school? So according to you, a conference would rather have Iowa over Michigan since they had been better over the last 5 years?

It just simply isn't the case. In no scenario possible does a TCU + WVU come close to the national pull of a Nebraska + Colorado + A&M + Missouri.

You really want to make an argument that national audiences will tune into a TCU vs ISU game over a Nebraska vs ISU game? If you think it is even close, there really is no point in trying to talk to you reasonable about anything.
TCU and WV have more national pull that Colorado and Mizzou.

According to Chip Brown, Georgia Tech is also showing interest in the Big 12.

According to Chip Brown, the Big 12 will be buying a controlling interest in Facebook.

According to Chip Brown, the Big 12 is hosting the Olympic Games in 2020.

According to Chip Brown, ESPN will now be known as LongHornNetwork2.

According to Chip Brown, DeLoss Dodds will name Mitt Romney as his running mate.

The Big12/SEC is going to lose this battle big time.

We just got a check for 24.6 million from the Big 10. If this is the end game for college football, we're going to be happy to trade Florida State and Clemson for Boston College and Maryland. The BTN if it combined with a Pac10 and East Coast network would be an absolute monster with a huge majority of the countries population in its footprint.

I'm sure the fine folks of Birmingham, Jackson and Little Rock will pay just as many bills, right ISU?
BC and Maryland are in professional sports country, people in the NE just don't care about college sports. Heck, lowly ISU outdrew both of those schools last year in football and basketball. Look at TV value and you will find that a college like BC doesn't rank very high even though they are in a large metro area

BC and Maryland are in professional sports country, people in the NE just don't care about college sports. Heck, lowly ISU outdrew both of those schools last year in football and basketball. Look at TV value and you will find that a college like BC doesn't rank very high even though they are in a large metro area

Cable subscriptions, dude.

05-22-2012 08:30 PMISUFB
Still think that Clemson and FSU isn't going to heppen Dwayne?

Remember when Texas and co to the PAC 12 was a done deal? This is all just talk right now. It seems more likely than it did a week ago, but things can change in a hurry
Big difference is...Texas was shopping around for the best deal and the PAC 12 did not have a better deal. The Big 12 has a much better deal for FSU than the ACC. FSU can move to the Big 12 tomorrow and make more money and that doesn't include their third tier rights.

While many Big 12 fans bitched about Texas and their third tier rights deal, it just might be the thing that strengthens the conference. It makes it much more attractive to schools like ND, FSU, etc that stand to make a good amount from their third tier rights.

I love how people think Texas walks all over their confernece brethren. Fact is Texas's TV money is just a small piece of their revenue pie. Much like Florida and tOSU. Those schools are light years ahead in revenue because of donations. It has very little to do with TV money. The revenue difference between Texas and ISU is similar to Florida and Vanderbilt or tOSU and NW. Every conference has their monster. Every conference has their favorites. Every conference has disparity in revenue.

Big 10 fans like to claim equal treatment but when divisions were created, it showed who mattered most. tOSU and Michigan were protected first and foremost. The criteria was created to ensure Michigan and tOSU were in separate divisions. Then their rivalry was protected first. Bottom feeders like iowa, Purdue, Indiana, and MSU had protected rivalries forced upon them so the big dogs had their real rivalries protected

Cable subscriptions, dude.
Like I said, no one in the NE cares about college football.

Teams like Penn St and tOSU already deliver the NE or they deliver it as much as BC. Thing is large metropoiltan areas are transplant populations. People that move to NYC/Boston from Alabama will follow the SEC. They don't care about BC.