Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

I stand corrected then, I thought it was based on TV market not by state lines. But either way you have to keep the UNC/Duke rivalry together in the same conference. I would love to see Duke & ole Roy to make a visit to CHA. But again, there has to be more basketball revenues to go out and get for that to make sense. It has to be enough additional revenue to make everyone happy as the non revenue sports will have additional travel expenses.

I stand corrected then, I thought it was based on TV market not by state lines. But either way you have to keep the UNC/Duke rivalry together in the same conference.

That's why I don't think either of them are going anywhere, and why I don't think there's an insane conference reshuffling meltdown where all hell breaks loose anywhere in the near future.

I would think that the ACC will do everything it can to survive. If Clemson and FSU were to move to the Big 12, I suspect they would look to the Big East for a couple more teams. If that happens, the Big East is done. If the SEC and the B1G are truly looking at raiding the ACC (which I still don't believe at this point, but it's fun to speculate,) then the ACC and Big East would probably end up making one unimpressive conference that is on the outside looking in at the power conferences.

It was reported on local radio that the SEC is coveting NC and VaTech, which means that VA and Duke could be a possibility to go to the B1G or Big 12. I think that 16 team superconferences and a playoff are inevitable at this point, but I'm not sure where programs like ISU or K State stand in that scenario.

It was reported on local radio that the SEC is coveting NC and VaTech, which means that VA and Duke could be a possibility to go to the B1G or Big 12. I think that 16 team superconferences and a playoff are inevitable at this point, but I'm not sure where programs like ISU or K State stand in that scenario.

Uhhhhh in the Big 12. How hard is that to figure out?

Why does the SEC get the cool sports schools and we're stuck with the bookish dork schools.

If the BoneG keeps expanding, they need to keep adding sketchy academic schools like UNL, not elite schools like UNC or UVa. It just makes us look worse in comparison.

Why does the SEC get the cool sports schools and we're stuck with the bookish dork schools.

If the BoneG keeps expanding, they need to keep adding sketchy academic schools like UNL, not elite schools like UNC or UVa. It just makes us look worse in comparison.

At least we have tOSU. But still, they're kind of like the rich teacher's pet that gets away with almost everything. Not sure they give the B1G any street cred.

ISU and KSU stand the same chance of getting kicked out of their leagues as WSU, Indiana and Miss. St.

It's all about expanding the footprint.

Edit: And, the SEC and Big 12 are being procative at this point, whereas the B1G and Pac-12 are being reactive.

ISU and KSU stand the same chance of getting kicked out of their leagues as WSU, Indiana and Miss. St.
True, but I can't imagine that schools like Miami and ND will get left out in the cold in lieu of KSU or Indiana.

Last edited:
True, but I can't imagine that schools like Miami and ND will get left out in the cold in lieu of KSU or Indiana.

Why not Miami getting left out? Harvard and Yale are small private universities with national championships in their past too...

If super-conferences are coming, ND will be in the B1G.

Why not Miami getting left out? Harvard and Yale are small private universities with national championships in their past too...
So, are you saying that Harvard and Yales' championships from 100 years ago carry as much weight as Miami's 5 in the past 30 years?

If so, I disagree.

If super-conferences are coming, ND will be in the B1G.
While it makes the most sense, I wouldn't pooh-pooh ND to the Big 12.

So, are you saying that Harvard and Yales' championships from 100 years ago carry as much weight as Miami's 5 in the past 30 years?

If so, I disagree.

I'm saying that Miami is a program who almost quit football in the '70's and one who since then has had more than one president who fancies Miami as a southern "Ivy League" school and cares little about football. They have a small alumni base and "fans" who could easily start following UF again just like they did until the 1980's. That is if they follow college football at all since they could just follow the Dolphins which is the single most important sports entity in Miami.

Do I think they'd get left out, no. Would I be surprised, no.

I'm saying that Miami is a program who almost quit football in the '70's and one who since then has had more than one president who fancies Miami as a southern "Ivy League" school and cares little about football. They have a small alumni base and "fans" who could easily start following UF again just like they did until the 1980's. That is if they follow college football at all since they could just follow the Dolphins which is the single most important sports entity in Miami.

Do I think they'd get left out, no. Would I be surprised, no.

I hear the B12 and GTech are casting glances at each other. This would make the Eastern group of the B12- WVU, GTech, Clemson, and FSU. The conference has the problem of 9 teams in the West. If they kept all current teams they would be looking for 3 more.

In that case, I would expect Miami would be at the top of the list. I also think Wake would be in the picture to get them into NC.

The B12 would cover the Eastern seaboard from Miami to WVU. The last school would probably be Pitt.

But in all this ISU would stick out like a sore thumb.

I hear the B12 and GTech are casting glances at each other. This would make the Eastern group of the B12- WVU, GTech, Clemson, and FSU. The conference has the problem of 9 teams in the West. If they kept all current teams they would be looking for 3 more.

In that case, I would expect Miami would be at the top of the list. I also think Wake would be in the picture to get them into NC.

The B12 would cover the Eastern seaboard from Miami to WVU. The last school would probably be Pitt.

Do you not mention NCSU because you see the SEC poaching them? Also, how does ISU stick out more than KSU? Is it not better for the Big XII to have a presence in Iowa?

You're still beating this idiot drum that Iowa State is going to get kicked out of the Big XII? Come on.

I don't think the Big 12 would ever consider kicking anyone out right now. I think the point is, teams who may consider joining might look at trips to Ames and Manhattan, KS as undesirable. I'm sure it would be much nicer for everyone in the Big 12 if they didn't have to deal with the northern schools. But they were almost dead...twice, and I believe there is no way they ever consider getting rid of anyone; even ISU.

Big 12 guy on ESPN yesterday evening talking about bringing in Notre Dame for all sports except football. But only if Notre Dame schedules big 12 football opponents.

Yes, I'm serious.

Big 12 guy on ESPN yesterday evening talking about bringing in Notre Dame for all sports except football. But only if Notre Dame schedules big 12 football opponents.

Yes, I'm serious.

People are throwing out all kinds of ridiculous crap.

People are throwing out all kinds of ridiculous crap.

Notre Dame? Possibly ridiculous. Maybe. The rest of it. If not before 2014, soon. I'll bet you on that Brother DT. They're all already jockeying to position themselves to align with the four super conferences. I think they stay at 12. No more than 14. But it's shaping up in a hurry to be 64 teams, and everyone else.
Remember, the coaches and athletic directors don't go to the meeting. It's the U presidents. They're making some interesting comments. U presidents make ridiculous comments all the time, but they are usually serious. Not much joking around in that crowd.

Notre Dame? Possibly ridiculous. Maybe. The rest of it. If not before 2014, soon. I'll bet you on that Brother DT. They're all already jockeying to position themselves to align with the four super conferences. I think they stay at 12. No more than 14. But it's shaping up in a hurry to be 64 teams, and everyone else.
Remember, the coaches and athletic directors don't go to the meeting. It's the U presidents. They're making some interesting comments. U presidents make ridiculous comments all the time, but they are usually serious. Not much joking around in that crowd.

That's stupid. I still don't think super-awful conferences are going to happen, but if they do, it's all over for college sports.

Latest posts