Talk of FSU and Clemson to Big 12.

But what you do not seem to understand is the B1G treats all of its schools equally. Schools like Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue have as much say as Iowa, Ohio State, and Michigan. The Ohio State/Michigan rivalry game is a huge money maker for all of us, that gets shared equally in the conference.
So Michigan St wanted Indiana as a protected game? Gotcha. Of course, Michigan/tOSU was protected. Those teams mean much more to the confernce. Much like Texas and OU do to the Big 12 because they bring in more $. Again a heirarchy built on $$$$. Difference is schools like Wisconsin, iowa, Michigan St, Illinois, etc all understand that and accept it. The Big 12 had schools like Nebraska and aTm that always felt they were bigger than what they were.

Now the real key to stability has been media rights. Correct me if I am wrong but the Big 10 owns the schools media rights. The Big 12 took this step last summer. This is huge because it guarantees a school cannot leave.

I am still waiting to hear how Texas screws everyone else. I just don't see it. The unfair treatment makes for headlines but it has no basis. Did you know that prior to the new TV contracts, the discrepancy between Florida and Missippi St TV revenue was greater than Texas and ISU? Yet the SEC is considered equal. Why is that?

Are you truly hanging your hat on Texas won't come to Ames in November? I have yet to see one fact that shows that Texas is favored that wasn't voted on by an overwhelming majority of the schools

Last edited:
So Michigan St wanted Indiana as a protected game? Gotcha. Of course, Michigan/tOSU was protected. Those teams mean much more to the confernce. Much like Texas and OU do to the Big 12 because they bring in more $. Again a heirarchy built on $$$$.

Maybe MSU preferred the easier game against Indiana, not much left for "rivals" for them since their main rival is Michigan and they are in the same division. The same can be said for both Purdue and Indiana. The only real rivalry that got spoiled in this division set up was Iowa vs Wisconsin, and we have been through that twice already.

I am still waiting to hear how Texas screws everyone else. I just don't see it. The unfair treatment makes for headlines but it has no basis. Did you know that prior to the new TV contracts, the discrepancy between Florida and Missippi St TV revenue was greater than Texas and ISU? Yet the SEC is considered equal. Why is that?

It is called The Longhorn Network.

Are you truly hanging your hat on Texas won't come to Ames in November? I have yet to see one fact that shows that Texasis favored that wasn't voted on by an overwhelming majority of the schools

I really could care less who goes to Ames in November, you are responding to the wrong guy.

Every conference has its own culture. The B1G and B12 are very different. The profit sharing culture of the B1G would not fit the B12 schools. The free market system of the B12 wouldn't fit the B1G schools. Each works for it's own institutions and each has its benefits and shortcomings. For instance, OSU would probably do better financially in the B12 system and ISU would probably do better in the B1G system.

Maybe MSU preferred the easier game against Indiana, not much left for "rivals" for them since their main rival is Michigan and they are in the same division. The same can be said for both Purdue and Indiana. The only real rivalry that got spoiled in this division set up was Iowa vs Wisconsin, and we have been through that twice already.

It is called The Longhorn Network.

I really could care less who goes to Ames in November, you are responding to the wrong guy.

The Longhorn Network was agreed upon by all members. All members chose to retain their third tier rights. The retainage of thrid tier rights is the main reason schools like Clemson, FSU, and ND are even looking at the Big 12. Texas gives $5 million of their $15 million right back to the UT general fund. They also pay other Big 12 schools for football games and basketball games to show on their network. Each school has control over their third tier rights.

Tell me again how that is screwing the current members?

Last edited:
Every conference has its own culture. The B1G and B12 are very different. The profit sharing culture of the B1G would not fit the B12 schools. The free market system of the B12 wouldn't fit the B1G schools. Each works for it's own institutions and each has its benefits and shortcomings. For instance, OSU would probably do better financially in the B12 system and ISU would probably do better in the B1G system.
Most intelligent poster in this thread. Fact is the free market system for the Big 12 has helped every member including Texas. No one is getting screwed. Every member is bringing in more $, the confernce is more stable, and it is a structure that was agreed upon by all members.

The "Texas screws every other team int he conference" statement is a joke.

Most intelligent poster in this thread. Fact is the free market system for the Big 12 has helped every member including Texas. No one is getting screwed. Every member is bringing in more $, the confernce is more stable, and it is a structure that was agreed upon by all members.

The "Texas screws every other team int he conference" statement is a joke.

It's true. "You can't rape the willing", as they say.

TCU's AD says that ACC schools are trying to get into the Big 12. It's not secret at this point, but many people have denied it publically.

TCU AD: ‘schools like FSU, Clemson, Miami trying to get in’ Big 12 | CollegeFootballTalk

Texas made the decision to keep the Big 12 alive because they got what they wanted. I don't disagree that all of the schools in the Big 12 are better off for it today than they were two years ago. Now we will see if anyone can save the ACC, or if they will raid the Big East to survive. Reports have come out today stating that Air Force or BYU will be the 14th member of the Big East.

TCU's AD says that ACC schools are trying to get into the Big 12. It's not secret at this point, but many people have denied it publically.

TCU AD: ‘schools like FSU, Clemson, Miami trying to get in’ Big 12 | CollegeFootballTalk

He forgot GT. Collusion in college football is beautiful. Watch that conference implode and the teams that get left out agree to about 50 million total to go back to the BE.

My prediction Pitt, Miami, GT, FSU, Clemson, and Wake to B12. Maryland, UVA, Duke, UNC to B1G. NC State and Va Tech to SEC.

Buyout won't be an issue, because the supermajority will vote to disband.

Anyway, Boston and Syracuse belong in that city league with Cinci, Louisville, Memphis, Georgetown, etc.

Last edited:
"My prediction Pitt, Miami, GT, FSU, Clemson, and Wake to B12. Maryland, UVA, Duke, UNC to B1G. NC State and Va Tech to SEC."

So if your prediction comes true, that means 3 conferences with 16 teams. Where does the PAC 12 go for 4 more teams?

I agree Dwayne. I have seen SEC rumors and obviously a lot of Big 12 rumors, but little to nothing on the B1G. If I were putting together a list out of pure speculation, Duke probably wouldn't make the top 20. But anything is possible I guess.

"My prediction Pitt, Miami, GT, FSU, Clemson, and Wake to B12. Maryland, UVA, Duke, UNC to B1G. NC State and Va Tech to SEC."

So if your prediction comes true, that means 3 conferences with 16 teams. Where does the PAC 12 go for 4 more teams?

I have no idea. BYU is the only team in the area with a major conference fan base and the P12 has been pretty set against picking up a religious school.

The thing is the P12 has huge television markets. So, they don't really need to pick up a whale. They really should just look to get into the CTZ.

I just keep wondering if Scott strike a deal with Bowlsby to broker a deal to get some B12 West teams to move to the P12. The B12 could replace such teams with ND and BYU.

But then again, with a stripped ACC, a 12 team P12 champ might still be guaranteed a spot in the top four based on conference SOS.

I'm sure the Big 12, especially after an ACC raid, would love to ship the Kansas schools and ISU off to the P12. In order for that deal to work, I'm sure Scott would need a Texas team so they could expand their footprint in a meaningful way. I know this is all crazy talk, but it's fun to follow and speculate on in the off season.

I know this is all crazy talk, but it's fun to follow and speculate on in the off season.

I'm sure the Big 12, especially after an ACC raid, would love to ship the Kansas schools and ISU off to the P12. In order for that deal to work, I'm sure Scott would need a Texas team so they could expand their footprint in a meaningful way. I know this is all crazy talk, but it's fun to follow and speculate on in the off season.

I know this is all crazy talk, but it's fun to follow and speculate on in the off season.

I think it would be tougher to unload KSU than KU & ISU. KSU isn't AAU and the Pac seems to care about that unless your name is OU/OSU?

I think it would be tougher to unload KSU than KU & ISU. KSU isn't AAU and the Pac seems to care about that unless your name is OU/OSU?

Plus, there's no way the Pac12 will take any of those teams. CAAR is again with the idiot talk of the BigXII "sending teams west" (but not kicking them out, somehow).

This is true, but we both know the Big12 wouldn't really ship anyone off anyway. If I had to guess, I would say that the Big 12 will move to 12, unless ND decides they want in. ACC ends up -2 and everyone else stays the same.

Plus, there's no way the Pac12 will take any of those teams. CAAR is again with the idiot talk of the BigXII "sending teams west" (but not kicking them out, somehow).

Clearly it's all kooky offseason talk but I think ISU and KU would make that move in a heartbeat.

Latest posts