Sure is quiet on here...

First off, thank you for not using any exclamation points there. Secondly, yes I thought it was an incredibly slow, boring game. I enjoy watching good basketball, not just Iowa victories. This game was a product of the two systems that were going against each other.

I am telling you, Freddy cured me of my addiction to use exclamation points. Seriously, are you really going to continue bring that up considering some of the crap we see on this board on a daily basis?

Anyway, how does a slow boring game get you to nearly 80 points when you are averaging in the low 50's? If you think it was slow and boring, that is your opinion, I just happen to disagree.

Last edited:
It was nice to see Iowa actually run a little tonight. It wasn't much. But I will take what I can get.

As was said, we lived by the 3 tonight. But we also had some good post play at times tonight. We need to continue to improve on that.

I agree you can live by the three and die by the three, we have seen it far too often this year. But you most definitely can live by the three if you are getting good, clean, open looks at the three. Iowa got them tonight because of excellent ball movement and very good spacing. Not always, but you should shoot a better percetage if you are getting better looks and not forcing shots. Another thing I noticed was that Iowa did not take many shots as the shot clock was expiring tonight. At least I cannot remember too many examples. That is a refreshing change.

I am telling you, Freddy cured me of my addiction to use exclamation points. Seriously, are you really going to continue bring that up considering some of the crap we see on this board on a daily basis? Additionally, how does a slow boring game get you to nearly 80 points when you are averaging in the low 50's? If you think it was slow and boring, that is your opinion, I just happen to disagree.

I don't mean to harp on the ! issue, this was just the first post I saw where you haven't used one.

I understand that they scored 80 points, but how many times did the crowd get out of their feet tonight? CHA never really got LOUD tonight and I think that was due to the way the game was played. There were very few fast breaks again, it was basically a three ball or a big overpowering a skinny NW guy. 1-3-1 zones can make a game boring to watch.

I don't mean to harp on the ! issue, this was just the first post I saw where you haven't used one.

I understand that they scored 80 points, but how many times did the crowd get out of their feet tonight? CHA never really got LOUD tonight and I think that was due to the way the game was played. There were very few fast breaks again, it was basically a three ball or a big overpowering a skinny NW guy. 1-3-1 zones can make a game boring to watch.

I truely believe things can get turned around under Lick. I have seen progress this year and I think next year's class will add alot to this team. I guess I just have passion in what I believe and what I type, and the use of exclamation points were just a part of it. They were in no way intended to pi$$ anyone off. I made a signture and geared it to toward Freddy to be smart, but took it down, because I realized that was stupid as well. That doesn't mean I might not use an exclamation point every now and then. However, I am trying to be aware of it. Always good to be self aware.

I thought I heard the crowd get into pretty good at the start of the game and a couple times after a big basket or two. They seemed to get into it pretty good when Cougill hit the floor as you could hear the "COUG" cheer and then again when May hit the back to back threes.

Beyond that I personally think the Hawks took the crowd out of the game tonight with a dominating performance. They jumped out to a pretty good lead and held it throughout the night. NW never really challenged after the Hawks took the lead out to double digits. The cut it to 9 a few times but never got closer. Had they gotten closer I think the crowd may have gotten more "into" the game.

I thought I heard the crowd get into pretty good at the start of the game and a couple times after a big basket or two. They seemed to get into it pretty good when Cougill hit the floor as you could hear the "COUG" cheer and then again when May hit the back to back threes.

Beyond that I personally think the Hawks took the crowd out of the game tonight with a dominating performance. They jumped out to a pretty good lead and held it throughout the night. NW never really challenged after the Hawks took the lead out to double digits. The cut it to 9 a few times but never got closer. Had they gotten closer I think the crowd may have gotten more "into" the game.

Excellent point, I can't argue to much with that.

As you claim "The SYSTEM" gives more conventional teams an advantage, have you noticed Butler was in the SWEET SIXTEEN twice during the time Coack Lick was there?? I guess "THE SYSTEM" wan't work!!!
Yes Butler was in the Sweet 16 twice. Butler also made the tournament exactly twice in 6 years. The other two times Todd led Butler to the postseason resulted in 2nd round NIT exits.

So, the question becomes what is the percentage of time that TL has taken a team to the NCAA tournament? The answer is 22 percent of the time overall, 33 percent of the time at Butler, and 0 percent of the time at Iowa. A system that has worked 22 percent of the time is not a system that I would call successful.

I actually avoid these boards when we lose games, for the most part. I get it, I know theres those people who are hard to please. But you should be able to distinguish between people being fair weather, and people being honest about what the product is. (Iowa basketball being the product)
Being honest and being negative about every little thing are two seperate things. There should not be any reason for someone to make fun of or call players names either. I understand that people are not happy and that some people are half glass empty type of people. The calling for a coach to be fired for the 15 millionth time after a loss is old. I probably should avoid these parts after a loss to, might keep me sane.

Cincy, you may as well take the next couple of years off of watching IA bball...this coach and "system" are going nowhere. Or maybe, just enjoy watching these kids play their butts off and compete as best they can. This is a good group of Hawkeyes playing right now, it's a shame you're missing it. I guess there's always the "Bearcats" though, huh?

I don't miss the games, I watch them regularly. Now that I've moved back to Iowa (and the weather in the three weeks that I have been here has made me wonder if I am crazy), I am planning on becoming a season ticket holder for both basketball and football. I support the Hawkeyes and would love to see these kids succeed. I feel that they have a better chance at succeeding with a new coach and a different system.

Something akin to the tried and true Stanford motion offense would be a possible fit for this team. How about using a full-court press to cause some more turnovers to make up for the lack of offensive rebounding and size mismatches caused by the type of player required by this system? Though they lack a true center, the role players making up the core of this team could fit a triangle style O similar to what the bulls ran during their title years. Not comparing Iowa's talent to the bulls, just saying that there are other proven systems that produce high percentage shots with similar personnel makeup.

In Cincy I had no dog in the fight so watched whatever BBall game was on with equal interest.

On a final note, unless you are Gary Barta, I don't know if you can say that Todd Lickliter will be here for next year. I imagine that a balance sheet of this year's attendance figures and projected attendance figures throughout the remaining years of Todd's contract with their associated revenue losses would have to be compared to the cost of a buyout of his contract at the very least, booster and season ticket holder support, student body support and the recruits currently committed to the Iowa program, and how defection in their ranks would effect the future coach's ability to win basketball games.

I never post after losses...why pile on?
But on a victory nite like this, I enjoy calling my brother and hashing out a win..maybe call my dad and make sure they stayed up to watch it...

As for the game...great shooting nite for the Hawks...best of the season as we scored the most points in a big ten game in the lick era...and against the fricking Cats! We own NW in IC...39-2 now...I like it. Karma is a *****...eat it Fitz! I do not dislike NW bb really,but I hate NW fb..and their assasin coach...so this was particularly sweet. NW message board game story headline? ''Death of a Dream''...sweeetttt!...I mean that could have been the headline after that fateful fall day last november in Kinnick also as the assassin's muggers took out our qb and our dream. ok...rant over.

Carmody is saying in his postgame that his players did nothing they worked on all week on defense...mainly kept going under screens and giving Gatens,Bawinkel and co. open looks...he was ******.

Now, I have to contrast NW's defense, which I thought would give us fits with that zone trap,with in your jersey defense played by Minny,PU,Michigan and OSU...we could hardly get a shot off in those games,but tonite,we had wide open looks all nite...guess that is why NW aint going to the Big Dance again...or ever.

Eric May took Drew Crawford right out of his game on the offensive end. These guys are mirror images of each other really..neither handles the ball great yet,but are athletic and shooters...but Eric is better on defense...he is playing great on that end.

Great game Hawks...thanks for the payback on NW for football...nice job tonite coach!

Yes Butler was in the Sweet 16 twice. Butler also made the tournament exactly twice in 6 years. The other two times Todd led Butler to the postseason resulted in 2nd round NIT exits.

So, the question becomes what is the percentage of time that TL has taken a team to the NCAA tournament? The answer is 22 percent of the time overall, 33 percent of the time at Butler, and 0 percent of the time at Iowa. A system that has worked 22 percent of the time is not a system that I would call successful.

Even as optimistic as I am about the future of the program, I really do not see the Hawks in the NCAA next year. Maybe the NIT but that is even a bit of wishful thinking. I am hopeful we start to see NCAA tournament berths in year 5 under Coach Lick (if he gets a 5th year). So if he begins to take Iowa to the tournament in year 5 he would need to get the Hawks to the tournament in year 5 and year 6 to get to 33%. Unfortunately that would almost equal the preceding 8 years.

Previous coach has led teams to the NCAA tournament 27% of the time - 4 out of 15 years.

The sad part is prior to his arrival Iowa had been there 9 times in 13 years under Mr. Davis and 2 out of 3 under Coach Raveling and 5 out of 8 under Coach Olson. That's 66.6% of the time over 24 years.

Sure glad that we needed to go to the "next level".

look, I will admit it is harder for BCS teams to get there in the 2000's if you will. Before 2004 no Big ten team with a winning conference record ever missed the Big dance...Iowa was 9-7 that year in the league and missed it. Then they were 9-7 again in 07 and missed even the NIT...back in the 90's very few mid-majors made the tourny...so winning BCS league teams always made it,including Iowa at 10-8 several times...the landscape changed and it got harder for Iowa...and it remains harder...If Iowa had gone 10-8 this year in the league we would not have made it anyway..the salad days of the BCS bb teams is over...now you have to earn it.

Let's call a spade a spade...this was a great win given the state of our program right now. Was it a game changer as far as Lickliter and this program are concerned...absolutely not.

This game changed absolutely nothing...except that it might have gotten a few more fans in the seats for the remaining home games...they will still be very poorly attended games according to Iowa standards.

Lickliter will still get another year to pull something resembling decent Big Ten basketball off...and no one really knows what will happen next year.

Did the Hawks really do anything impressive tonight...ummm...not really. If you thought something was overly impressive...you let me know what it was. The defense was pretty decent against an awful offensive team...but I'm not going to start saying that we're anything more than one of the three worst teams in the Big Ten.

Let's not forget that we just beat Northwestern at home when they were missing their 2 best players...Thompson and Coble. Is there anything impressive about that...anything at all.

I'm not trying to be a hater...but let's not pretend as though this was anything more than it was.

I'm not a Lickliter hater...but I am a guy that always wanted Alford to stick around and I'm a little bitter about him leaving when it seemed like...had he been fully committed to the program his last few years and had he stuck around we would be right in the hunt in an exciting Big Ten race this year.

By the way...#19 UNM 76 @ #25 UNLV 66.

Actually ,Mike Thompson had 20 pts tonite for the Cats...they are missing Coble and Jeff Ryan,tho.

Ok...so I'm an idiot. But I just went to ESPN.com to confirm and was reminded of something that really pisses me off - and something that will be a good diversion from me being an idiot.

If you click on teams under either college football or basketball it lists teams by conference. The conferences are lined up alphabetically. When you get to the letter B the conferences are lined up like this:

Big 12
Big East
Big Sky
Big South
Big Ten
Big West

Why is the Big 12 listed using numbers and thus making it the highest listed "Big" conference...and the Big 10 is listed using letters knocking it down a peg or four?

I'm not saying this is a conspiracy...but Obama did do play by play for a game between ACC and Big East teams...hmmm? Back and to the left...back and to the left...back and to the left.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBABFpAkJMM"]YouTube- JFK -- excerpt ("back and to the left")[/ame]

Did the Hawks really do anything impressive tonight...ummm...not really. If you thought something was overly impressive...you let me know what it was.

we crushed a team ranked 120+ spots ahead of us in the rpi, effectively ending their ncaa tourney hopes.

eric may completely shut down the consensus big ten freshman of the year.

we shot 50% from three against the best three-point defending team in the league (29% is what they give up, on average).

we had 18 assists on 23 field goals.

we scored the most points we have in a conference game in the year despite clanging ten free throws in the final minutes.

i'm all for objectivity and realism, but i don't understand deliberately ignoring positive developments. and no amount of new mexico lobos scores will change the fact that steve alford won one tournament game in eight seasons at iowa. if that's all lick can do in eight years, then he should get the boot as well. but after the last ten years, we don't exactly have much to lose, do we?

Latest posts