State Tourney: Updates

Weiskamp is a stud. And McCaffery had 17 points and 9 boards last night and actually plays on a team with more than one good player. Both will be excellent college players.

Joe would have been the 2nd best player for the hawks this year. I don't remember the last guard for Iowa that could get off the floor as quick and as high as he can. He made Iowa City West look like junior high kids. I would have never guessed I would watch him go 0fer from 3 and walk away thinking higher of him than before I saw him live. It was nuts.

You think he's already better than Jordan and Luka? Joe is going to go down as one of the all time greats I think. I went to the game last night and he's special.

I assume it's how agile and quick he is for his height. Seems more like a top 100 kid to me tho. Either way, when you're ranked that high, there is a lot of room to be over ranked and still really good . I think he falls in that window. It seems like most people who call him over ranked think he won't be good at all.
I think he certainly has the potential to be a good college player, but he has a very long way to go. I read that Pat is already 18 years old, so realistically he could be in Joe’s class. If he were to play at Iowa next year, I do think he would struggle mightily.

The good news is when Pat comes in the following year we should have a really nice core in place, to the point where we won’t need him to make a huge impact.

You think he's already better than Jordan and Luka? Joe is going to go down as one of the all time greats I think. I went to the game last night and he's special.

With Luka it's hard to say because they are completely different players. I went with the assumption that Bohannon is the second best player , then compared Weiskamp to him. As far as strengths helping the team and weaknesses not hurting the team goes, I think Weiskamp is the better player. I don't think he even has a weakness. Imagine Garza's effort in a big time athletes body. That's Weiskamp.

I think he certainly has the potential to be a good college player, but he has a very long way to go. I read that Pat is already 18 years old, so realistically he could be in Joe’s class. If he were to play at Iowa next year, I do think he would struggle mightily.

The good news is when Pat comes in the following year we should have a really nice core in place, to the point where we won’t need him to make a huge impact.

Probably best case is follow the same career path as Uthoff. Which is a good ceiling, but top 30 players are normally more about instant impact.

I'm trying to compare Weiskamp to past Hawkeyes and I'm having a hard time. I think he's probably not as good of a shooter as Jok, but as a senior in high school, he's already a better ball handler and slasher by a long ways over senior Jok. If senior Jok played against that defense last night, the only way he would have scored a single point was deep, contested jumpers. No way he could have split those triple teams and got to the rim. Weiskamp is just so much quicker and more athletic than Jok ever showed in college.

Then I think about Marble and still think Weiskamp is more athletic and better with the ball. Probably a better shooter than Marble too. I'm guessing freshman Weiskamp will be a little better than junior Marble. If he improves at a normal rate, he will be better than senior Marble as a sophomore. That's my guess. He will be the most athletic guard Iowa has had since Ricky Davis for sure. It's the next day and I still can't get over his hops and the furociousness he plays with.
I would say Marble was a better passer and Jok probably more of an elite shooter, but Joe will end up the better player.

My current player comparison to Joe would be Sam Hauser at Marquette. Interestingly enough, Joe plays AAU with his brother Joey. Sam is listed at 6’7/225 and averaged 15/6 for MU this year. I doubt he’s actually 225. He’s shooting the 3 ball at over 50% right now. Sam isn’t an amazing athlete but he’s solid in that regard and he uses his size and strength to create his own.

Two other comparable players would be Charles Matthews at Michigan and Kevin Heurter at Maryland.

I remember when I said PMac was overrated. That didn't go over so well.
I was right there with you, and we took some heat. When you add everything up with him there is no way he’s a top 50 guy, and to me probably not even a top 100 kid at this point.

He does have a lot of potential so hopefully he gets there.

I just read up on what that Foster kid at Osky did last night. Kid is big and athletic as a sophomore and hitting 4 out of 5 3 pointers in the biggest game he's ever been in. Not sure of our odds of getting him but he's showing why we should be throwing the kitchen sink at him to try. He'll be an absolute stud in a couple years and he might not be done growing

I remember when I said PMac was overrated. That didn't go over so well.

I don't know that I would go as far as to say full overrated. He is an effective scorer and has good size. Next year will tell alot. If his body and coordination continue to develop at normal pace then he is in good shape to warrant the ranking. If he was a senior right this minute though ya he is probably only top 100.

Joe on the other hand is every bit of his ranking and probably even a little under rated. The kid has alot of Kirk Heinrick in his game. I believe Joe plays day 1 at the 2 or 3 spot. He has the skills. If things come together right he has what we need to make this offense top 10 in the nation.

As far as team defense goes. He has the body and foot speed to be a better than average college defender, but is still not fast or agile enough to D up the opposing team's small PG. Bigger guards he can probably handle. He will need a little time to learn Iowa's defense, but if he understands help defense then he could be a huge defensive plus at the 3 spot. There are to many unknowns to predict how he will help defensively mainly being can our coaching staff even freaking teach it. All in all though the offense is pretty much a guarantee.

I just read up on what that Foster kid at Osky did last night. Kid is big and athletic as a sophomore and hitting 4 out of 5 3 pointers in the biggest game he's ever been in. Not sure of our odds of getting him but he's showing why we should be throwing the kitchen sink at him to try. He'll be an absolute stud in a couple years and he might not be done growing

Foster might end up being the kid you through a Range Rover at, or at least that's how it seems you land 1 and dones.

I was right there with you, and we took some heat. When you add everything up with him there is no way he’s a top 50 guy, and to me probably not even a top 100 kid at this point.

He does have a lot of potential so hopefully he gets there.
Exactly. We're not saying he isn't a D-1 prospect or anything. He's just not anywhere near Top 30 like most sites have him ranked.

IC West won by about 12. Wieskamp was essentially triple teamed the entire night. I think this was the worst shooting night I've seen him have in all the games I've watched him play. I'd have to agree with lightning1: Joe had no help.

My gaaaawd, you would think his teammates would be able to get open for some short shots or layups if he was being double or triple teamed. How is it that Joe wasn't finding open guys for bunny shots. Was it a coaching Fo Fo on the part of the Muscatine staff not exploiting the triple teams. I don't get it.

Not strong enough to play inside. Not good enough outside shot to play on the wing. He needs to hit the buffet and the weight room his SR season.

I think he was projected to be better than Connor in basketball as well. Maybe that is due to people putting his height into perspective, I dunno. They play different positions.

I think he was projected to be better than Connor in basketball as well. Maybe that is due to people putting his height into perspective, I dunno. They play different positions.
He's got a high skill set. He's already 6'8 or 6'9 and he's got really long arms. If he had Uthoff's jump shot, I'd be thrilled to death. Since he doesn't have a jump shot/3 pt shot, he's gonna need to get a lot stronger to play inside the 3 pt line. As he is, he's closer to Baer with a better handle.

He's got a high skill set. He's already 6'8 or 6'9 and he's got really long arms. If he had Uthoff's jump shot, I'd be thrilled to death. Since he doesn't have a jump shot/3 pt shot, he's gonna need to get a lot stronger to play inside the 3 pt line. As he is, he's closer to Baer with a better handle.

Do you know how his defense is?

My gaaaawd, you would think his teammates would be able to get open for some short shots or layups if he was being double or triple teamed. How is it that Joe wasn't finding open guys for bunny shots. Was it a coaching Fo Fo on the part of the Muscatine staff not exploiting the triple teams. I don't get it.
That's the funny part. His teammates had open bunny shots. They didn't shoot them. I've never seen a high school team not defend the other team's PG and win. Muscatine's PG could have dribbled up to the FT line and shot all day long, uncontested. I think I only saw him take 1 shot from the FT line in the 2nd half, wide open and he missed. That was all he attempted in the second half, at least.

Do you know how his defense is?
He can get some blocks here and there, but overall his defense isn't very polished. He just needs to watch his pop's championship defense video a few more times.
In all seriousness though, anytime PMac gets into the lane against these small high school kids, he should be knocking down 10 footers left and right, but he either doesn't seem able to do it or is just too passive. Not sure.

That's the funny part. His teammates had open bunny shots. They didn't shoot them. I've never seen a high school team not defend the other team's PG and win. Muscatine's PG could have dribbled up to the FT line and shot all day long, uncontested. I think I only saw him take 1 shot from the FT line in the 2nd half, wide open and he missed. That was all he attempted in the second half, at least.

Wuut! That's messed up. That kid should be shooting that shot at a 60% clip by the end of the season. Not guard the PG or stop the ball? Weird.

Latest posts