State Tourney: Updates

Is the 60 of 171 from 3 accurate? I thought he was a better shooter than that.
He's usually got 2 defenders on him from the NBA 3pt line on in. It's a different story during AAU season, where I've seen him shoot at a much higher %. I'm not worried about him hitting 3 pt shots in D-1, when open.

It does make you wonder what Patrick's numbers would be if he played on a team like Muscatine. Where he ahd to be everything for them to have a chance to win.
Well, West does lose a lot this year, so we're probably gonna see Pat in a different role next year.

Think of the shots he has to shoot. You saw the defense he played against last night. His only shots were highly contested ones. I've heard he's automatic when open. That could very well be an exaggeration and the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Put him on that Iowa City West team and he's a 40% shooter, easily.

I didn't get to see the state tournament games but I've seen a lot of these guys play:

Weiskamp - High on him. He'll be skilled enough to start next year but I'm not sure if he will assuming Tyler stays. If Tyler goes, Joe will be the 3 and Nunge the 4 but if Tyler stays I could see Fran keeping Nunge at the starting 3. It's not his normal position but I do think it worked a little better towards the end of the year on D and having Nunge's length at the top of the zone.

PMac- I was really high on him as younger player. He's got good handles for a 6'8" guy but I still worry about the strength. Some guys just aren't born with the frame to easily add weight and Patrick just doesn't seem to have that type of frame and I'm sure the cancer didn't help. I think he can be a decent player but I'm starting to cool off on him being a game changer which I thought he might be when I first saw him play a couple years back.

Foster- He's about the opposite of Patrick. I saw him a year ago and wasn't that impressed. Had him this year and he had 3 dunks in the first couple minutes of the game and then hit a couple 3s. Crossing my fingers that this kid will be a Hawk some day but not counting on it.

It does make you wonder what Patrick's numbers would be if he played on a team like Muscatine. Where he ahd to be everything for them to have a chance to win.

I'm not sure Patrick has the game to deal with an entire defense getting thrown at him. I said earlier, I don't think last year's Jok could have scored much last night. I remember Raef LaFrentz getting shut down in the state tournament by the entire team collapsing on him every time he touched the ball. And that guy was a stud in college. What Weiskamp did last night (and every night from the sounds of it) is truly amazing.

I didn't get to see the state tournament games but I've seen a lot of these guys play:

Weiskamp - High on him. He'll be skilled enough to start next year but I'm not sure if he will assuming Tyler stays. If Tyler goes, Joe will be the 3 and Nunge the 4 but if Tyler stays I could see Fran keeping Nunge at the starting 3. It's not his normal position but I do think it worked a little better towards the end of the year on D and having Nunge's length at the top of the zone.

PMac- I was really high on him as younger player. He's got good handles for a 6'8" guy but I still worry about the strength. Some guys just aren't born with the frame to easily add weight and Patrick just doesn't seem to have that type of frame and I'm sure the cancer didn't help. I think he can be a decent player but I'm starting to cool off on him being a game changer which I thought he might be when I first saw him play a couple years back.

Foster- He's about the opposite of Patrick. I saw him a year ago and wasn't that impressed. Had him this year and he had 3 dunks in the first couple minutes of the game and then hit a couple 3s. Crossing my fingers that this kid will be a Hawk some day but not counting on it.
It's all about mental attitude with Foster. He's broken out of some of his typical passive mentality this year. Still has a ways to go. If he can be that alpha aggressive type the next two years, the sky's the limit.

I think Weiskamp will be a pretty significant upgrade over Moss.

It's all about mental attitude with Foster. He's broken out of some of his typical passive mentality this year. Still has a ways to go. If he can be that alpha aggressive type the next two years, the sky's the limit.

That's my take too. He has the physical ability to be a legit top 10 player. His mental game is still lacking. By mental I mean strictly aggression. Not that he's a dumb player.

I'm not sure Patrick has the game to deal with an entire defense getting thrown at him. I said earlier, I don't think last year's Jok could have scored much last night. I remember Raef LaFrentz getting shut down in the state tournament by the entire team collapsing on him every time he touched the ball. And that guy was a stud in college. What Weiskamp did last night (and every night from the sounds of it) is truly amazing.
I've been watching Weiskamp do that for 2 years now and it is amazing. That's why when I look at recruiting rankings, I usually laugh more often than not. At least outside of the top 25. I just looked at the ESPN rankings and they have Joe at #71. 247 has him at #50. Now, I hate to disparage any of the other players in the top 50 because most of them I have never seen play in person but if Joe isn't in the top 25-50 range, I'll kiss someone's ass!

I think Weiskamp will be a pretty significant upgrade over Moss.

I like Joe and I know Moss is terribly inconsistent but Moss does have 2 years experience of starting in the B1G.
I kind of like the idea of having Weiskamp come off the bench to help balance and provide more scoring off the bench. I'd like to see Weiskamp and Dailey play along side Connor so he's got a couple balanced guys that can dribble drive a bit as well as hit the 3 point shot. Granted I'm not saying 5 in 5 out but something like this as it relates to a rotation:

JBo
Moss
Nunge
Cook
Garza

Connor
Dailey
Weiskamp
Baer
Kriener

Joe's high school stats (not including last night's game, most likely.
FG - 255 of 459 for 55.6%
3 pt FG - 60 of 171 for 35%
FT - 204 of 242 for 84.3%
774 total points for 33.7 ppg
36 assists
29 steals
30 blocks
54 turnovers
93 ORB and 217 DRBs for a total of 310 rebounds or 13.5 rebounds per game.
I wouldn't even consider Joe's assist/turnover ratio as he basically had nobody to pass to. He easily outscored the rest of his team combined.

Only 774 total points. I would have thought he'd be over 1,000 with what I've heard about him for years. Really thought 1,500 range or higher. Turnovers don't bug me as he's been X2 and X3 teamed.

My gaaaawd, you would think his teammates would be able to get open for some short shots or layups if he was being double or triple teamed. How is it that Joe wasn't finding open guys for bunny shots. Was it a coaching Fo Fo on the part of the Muscatine staff not exploiting the triple teams. I don't get it.

He was passing to open teammates for layups. You are assuming that they made said layups. I'd say that the rest of the team shot around 40% on shots inside 4 feet. The Muscatine kids hustled and played hard but they wouldn't see the floor for any other team in the tournament; heck, most of them wouldn't see the floor for any other team in their conference.

I've been watching Weiskamp do that for 2 years now and it is amazing. That's why when I look at recruiting rankings, I usually laugh more often than not. At least outside of the top 25. I just looked at the ESPN rankings and they have Joe at #71. 247 has him at #50. Now, I hate to disparage any of the other players in the top 50 because most of them I have never seen play in person but if Joe isn't in the top 25-50 range, I'll kiss someone's ass!

I was blown away by his athleticism. He's probably the most athletic white guy I've ever seen in person.

I like Joe and I know Moss is terribly inconsistent but Moss does have 2 years experience of starting in the B1G.
I kind of like the idea of having Weiskamp come off the bench to help balance and provide more scoring off the bench. I'd like to see Weiskamp and Dailey play along side Connor so he's got a couple balanced guys that can dribble drive a bit as well as hit the 3 point shot. Granted I'm not saying 5 in 5 out but something like this as it relates to a rotation:

JBo
Moss
Nunge
Cook
Garza

Connor
Dailey
Weiskamp
Baer
Kriener

I'm serious when I say he will be the second best player on the team if Cook comes back. He may end up being the most impactfull player even if Cook does come back. Moss and Nunge will both to make huge leaps to keep him out of the starting lineup. If that happens, it's really good news for the team.

He was passing to open teammates for layups. You are assuming that they made said layups. I'd say that the rest of the team shot around 40% on shots inside 4 feet. The Muscatine kids hustled and played hard but they wouldn't see the floor for any other team in the tournament; heck, most of them wouldn't see the floor for any other team in their conference.

Kudos for Joe sticking with playing with Muscatine. Many other players may have moved to a larger or more competitive school since a legit D1 talent. For instance, many may not have know or forgot, Uthoff really went to HS in Marengo Iowa then later moved to Cedar Rapids and transferred schools. I think it was due to his basketball talent as far as what I've heard, but not totally sure of the family dynamics.

Lol. I was yelling "Bust that!" at my laptop, every time he was standing there wide open. It was painful.

Unfortunately that's how he played all season. The kid can play defense very well. He's got a high motor. He plays elite soccer with a KC club in the summer. But, he's an athlete who is playing basketball and not a basketball player.

They entire game exemplified how Muscatine played all season. The other 4 on the floor (no matter who coach played) were not skilled. The sad part is the one kid who would have helped immensely didn't even go out this year - was caught at a drinking party and the school rules are that he has to sit out some games and the kid didn't want to sit so he didn't go out at all.

Latest posts