State Tourney: Updates

IC West won by about 12. Wieskamp was essentially triple teamed the entire night. I think this was the worst shooting night I've seen him have in all the games I've watched him play. I'd have to agree with lightning1: Joe had no help.

watched on-line. Weiskamp looks like and plays like a college-ready player. Was double & triple teamed by IC West all game - still had 29 and dunked at least twice easily thru traffic.

He'll start day 1 as a 2guard.

P McCaffery is still growing. Looks like most 6'8 Jr's do physically. Needs work w/ left around rim. Like a young Nunge - still 20 months from 1st day of college practice

Joe would have been the 2nd best player for the hawks this year. I don't remember the last guard for Iowa that could get off the floor as quick and as high as he can. He made Iowa City West look like junior high kids. I would have never guessed I would watch him go 0fer from 3 and walk away thinking higher of him than before I saw him live. It was nuts.

watched on-line. Weiskamp looks like and plays like a college-ready player. Was double & triple teamed by IC West all game - still had 29 and dunked at least twice easily thru traffic.

He'll start day 1 as a 2guard.

P McCaffery is still growing. Looks like most 6'8 Jr's do physically. Needs work w/ left around rim. Like a young Nunge - still 20 months from 1st day of college practice

McCaffery kinda blended in with everyone else. He looked good, but not great. Weiskamp was night and day better.

McCaffery kinda blended in with everyone else. He looked good, but not great. Weiskamp was night and day better.
Not strong enough to play inside. Not good enough outside shot to play on the wing. He needs to hit the buffet and the weight room his SR season.

Not strong enough to play inside. Not good enough outside shot to play on the wing. He needs to hit the buffet and the weight room his SR season.

As of now I agree. After watching Weiskamp be head and shoulders against everyone on the floor, he either deserves a better ranking, or McCaffery deserves a worse one. I get that he is a year younger, but I'm not sure Pat's ceiling is as high as Joe is now.

True. Why not join the Hawks weight regimen.

Wait... never mind.
SnapFitness maybe

As of now I agree. After watching Weiskamp be head and shoulders against everyone on the floor, he either deserves a better ranking, or McCaffery deserves a worse one. I get that he is a year younger, but I'm not sure Pat's ceiling is as high as Joe is now.
The rankings come from summer camps and AAU circuit (of course) and those people know their stuff.

Maybe Pat doesn’t stand out on the floor because he doesn’t need to on his team?

I didn’t watch so don’t know. Just asking.

My brother kind of gave same report. Off night hopefully.

Sure hope Weiskamp can provide Jokish play at the 2! How's his D?

The rankings come from summer camps and AAU circuit (of course) and those people know their stuff.

Maybe Pat doesn’t stand out on the floor because he doesn’t need to on his team?

I didn’t watch so don’t know. Just asking.

It's possible. What I said wasn't really meant to bash Patrick as much as it was to praise Joe. He's the best player on the best team in the state. That's pretty good. But Weiskamp is on an entirely different level and it was blatantly obvious.

You can watch the games with Playstation Vue. Was busy today and missed the game. Would have been a good one to watch. Wonder if the game will be on Youtube.....

JoeW could very easily be the answer for the Hawks. Hopefully he will be playing with Tyler.....

:cool:

My brother kind of gave same report. Off night hopefully.

Sure hope Weiskamp can provide Jokish play at the 2! How's his D?

Tough to tell because he was just so much more physical and athletic as everyone else. One play he jumped up to block a shot and was in the air forever, way above the rim. The guy got the shot up to the rim and Weiskamp somehow got the rebound. It's like he's on a pogo stick as high and quick as he jumps.

Another time he missed a layup and dunked it off the miss. What guard in college ever does that? You know how quick you have to land and get back up in order to dunk your own missed layup? I can't really remember how well Ricky Davis dunked, so maybe he compares, but I can't think of a single guard at Iowa who gets up like he does.

Weiskamp's ranking is 100% legit. Patrick's jump shot isn't close to Joe's.

I took a little bit of heat for saying I think Pmac is overrated, but I’m not surprised by the reports above and other things I have heard.

At his size and frame it would be one thing if he was a lights out shooter, but from almost all reports that isn’t the case, and he even has work to do on his shooting form.

The positive is he’s only a junior so he has time to fill out and continue to improve his shot. I certainly think he’s worthy of a P5 scholarship but I don’t think he’s a top 50 kid, probably not even top 100 at this point. Those are the types of kids you expect to come in and make an instant impact, and even with a full year I don’t see that being the case with Pmac. The potential is certainly intriguing so I’m excited to see how he improves going forward.

Last edited:
I took a little bit of heat for saying I think Pmac is overrated, but I’m not surprised by the reports above and other things I have heard.

At his size and frame it would be one thing if he was a lights out shooter, but from almost all reports that isn’t the case, and he even has work to do on his shooting form.

The positive is he’s only a junior so he has time to fill out and continue to improve his shot. I certainly think he’s worthy of a P5 scholarship but I don’t think he’s a top 50 kid, probably not even top 100 at this point. Those are the types of kids you expect to come in and make an instant impact, and even with a full year I don’t see that being the case with Pmac. The potential is certainly intriguing so I’m excited to see how he improves going forward.

I assume it's how agile and quick he is for his height. Seems more like a top 100 kid to me tho. Either way, when you're ranked that high, there is a lot of room to be over ranked and still really good . I think he falls in that window. It seems like most people who call him over ranked think he won't be good at all.

I'm trying to compare Weiskamp to past Hawkeyes and I'm having a hard time. I think he's probably not as good of a shooter as Jok, but as a senior in high school, he's already a better ball handler and slasher by a long ways over senior Jok. If senior Jok played against that defense last night, the only way he would have scored a single point was deep, contested jumpers. No way he could have split those triple teams and got to the rim. Weiskamp is just so much quicker and more athletic than Jok ever showed in college.

Then I think about Marble and still think Weiskamp is more athletic and better with the ball. Probably a better shooter than Marble too. I'm guessing freshman Weiskamp will be a little better than junior Marble. If he improves at a normal rate, he will be better than senior Marble as a sophomore. That's my guess. He will be the most athletic guard Iowa has had since Ricky Davis for sure. It's the next day and I still can't get over his hops and the furociousness he plays with.

Latest posts