Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs....

There’s a reason why illegal money and cheating has crept into college sports. You can’t have a billion dollar corporation making 100% of its money off of kids who don’t get paid other than a scholarship and expect it to stay clean. If you think it can be then your head’s in the sand.

People who think like that also think you can get crack and meth off the streets by making laws tougher. It’s a farcical argument with no regard for reality.

The one and done rule is 99% of the problem. We’re not talking about the Jordan Bohannons of the world, we’re talking about the players who would be skipping college anyway. Let players skip college altogether if they want. We live in a free market economy, if you’re 18 and have a skill other people want to pay you shitloads of money to do, why shouldn’t you be able to? Because ArvadaHawk wants to be nostalgic and control what kids do when they graduate high school? Would you tell a gifted guitarist that he either has to go to college or wait two years to go on tour because you want to watch him play the bar scene for free, because by god, that's the way it should be?

Society moves on, and this isn’t 1959 anymore, man. With the amount of money being made off their likenesses there’s no reason a kid shouldn’t be able to be able to market himself. Remove the one and done rule and allow players to make money off their autograph/name/likeness, and you won’t have near the shit sandwich you do now. But you won’t be in favor of that because you’d feel like you were watching junior league ball since the best players would skip it. Your opinion is totally selfish, by the way. You want to see kids forced to play ball in the NCAA for your own enjoyment, not because of some righteous or moral reason. Be honest.

Did you feel college basketball suffered when Bryant and James went pro?

and if you think kids aren't getting compensated, then you've got your head in the sand. Tuition, books, room & board, a free chance to reach a professional league to become an instant millionaire. Athletes have access to far superior medical treatment (beyond treating injuries), health diets, and on, and on, and on.

Hey, don't go to college on a scholarship and just try out for a pro team, right after high school, until you make one.

and if you think kids aren't getting compensated, then you've got your head in the sand. Tuition, books, room & board, a free chance to reach a professional league to become an instant millionaire. Athletes have access to far superior medical treatment (beyond treating injuries), health diets, and on, and on, and on.

Hey, don't go to college on a scholarship and just try out for a pro team, right after high school, until you make one.
“A free chance to reach a professional team?”

LOL, that is fucking hilarious.

You still haven’t given a reason why kids can’t make money on autographs/likeness/jerseys, etc.

Except for ArvadaHawk wants them to.

1. You can’t do that. The NBA doesn’t let you, because of a rule put in effect due to the NCAA complaining.

2. There are plenty of high schoolers who would play NBA ball out of high school if they could. Do you even know what the one and done rule is? Because if you don’t you don’t have much business debating this topic

Do you think those players would go play a single year of college ball if they didn’t have to? .

1. You can’t do that. The NBA doesn’t let you, because of a rule put in effect due to the NCAA complaining.

2. There are plenty of high schoolers who would play NBA ball out of high school if they could. Do you even know what the one and done rule is? Because if you don’t you don’t have much business debating this topic

Do you think those players would go play a single year of college ball if they didn’t have to? .
They can play pro ball over seas. They can go the prep academy route too, can't they? If my kid was the kind of talent that could jump right to the NBA out of high school, I'd tell him to play pro league over seas for a year, rather than going to college for free. Because lets face it, 1 year of college doesn't get you much in the way of compensation.

They can play pro ball over seas. They can go the prep academy route too, can't they? If my kid was the kind of talent that could jump right to the NBA out of high school, I'd tell him to play pro league over seas for a year, rather than going to college for free. Because lets face it, 1 year of college doesn't get you much in the way of compensation.
They shouldn’t have to go overseas. If I’m a prodigal computer scientist coming out of high school and Google wanted to pay me $500K to come work for them there’s no way anyone would say the kid shouldn’t be able to.

Blue Chips. Turns out it was a documentary.

I have the blue chips covered

Bring the salsa

71OyjAMACKL._SY355_.jpg

:cool:

teretzowa, the real reasons the NBA stopped allowing high school kids to jump to the NBA is because the NBA teams were losing fortunes on horrible picks and contracts (remember, these HS kids were walking into 3 yr $20 mil contracts) on kids that looked good in HS but didn't pan out. And, most of those kids were getting ripped off by sharks hangers on. They were ending up broke and with substance abuse habits. So, the reality is that everyone realized they were too young. But thank you for pointing out another benefit these kids get when receiving about a quarter million in benefits by going to school for free...the ability to mature athletically and emotionally so that they can better deal with life in the bright lights.

Side note curiosity: When you type, are you actually yelling at your computer, too?

teretzowa, the real reasons the NBA stopped allowing high school kids to jump to the NBA is because the NBA teams were losing fortunes on horrible picks and contracts (remember, these HS kids were walking into 3 yr $20 mil contracts) on kids that looked good in HS but didn't pan out. And, most of those kids were getting ripped off by sharks hangers on. They were ending up broke and with substance abuse habits. So, the reality is that everyone realized they were too young. But thank you for pointing out another benefit these kids get when receiving about a quarter million in benefits by going to school for free...the ability to mature athletically and emotionally so that they can better deal with life in the bright lights.

Side note curiosity: When you type, are you actually yelling at your computer, too?
So you’re admitting that you think you know what’s best for people and they can’t make choices for themselves? All because you’re some crusty old codger hanging onto 1965?

Your side note, no. I don’t yell at anything. But apparently you’re upset that you don’t have a point outside of your own mind.

They shouldn’t have to go overseas. If I’m a prodigal computer scientist coming out of high school and Google wanted to pay me $500K to come work for them there’s no way anyone would say the kid shouldn’t be able to.
I know they shouldn't have to. I'm simply saying that at least they get paid as professionals. I'm certainly not advocating for the one and done rule. It's no different than the NFL. Or any number of other careers. A lot of jobs require a college degree. Few if any kids have those at the age of 18.

Should be interesting to see if any program gets the death penalty.

Somewhere, SMU is smiling.

There's a reason they call him Slick Rick. He nothing more than a mobster who knows how to coach basketball. He even flaunts it with the greasy slicked back hair, pinky rings, and track suits. I guarantee you he's got a little snub nose .38 in his night stand and a paper sack with some cash in it in case he needs to disappear for a while.

He's probably out right now in his Caddy checking for helicopters on his way to get groceries for spaghetti dinner.

Tell me this guy has never put a hit out or buried someone in Jersey...

1200px-Rick_Pitino%2C_2013_Final_Four.jpg

Poor guy. Al day, he's been watchin' helicopters and tomato sauce...

So, you're saying a league can't impose its own standards?

Except these NBA players never emotionally mature to handle their instant fortunes. 70 or 80% end up broke within 5 years out of the league? Whole lot of good that 1-4 years of college did them. Before you try and say that college education was the reason the other 20 to 30% didn't end up broke...don't bother. There's no way to determine what factors led to them getting out with money. The only thing we can determine is that college didn't seem to help the ones that didn't.

Except these NBA players never emotionally mature to handle their instant fortunes. 70 or 80% end up broke within 5 years out of the league? Whole lot of good that 1-4 years of college did them. Before you try and say that college education was the reason the other 20 to 30% didn't end up broke...don't bother. There's no way to determine what factors led to them getting out with money. The only thing we can determine is that college didn't seem to help the ones that didn't.

Hey, I am only providing the historical perspective. I don't know if your % are accurate, but it seems unlikely that many NBA players are idiots with their money. if you're % are accurate, then there is a whole slew of other problems there. But my overall point is that kids that go to college get a chance (for free at at a very high value) to prepare themselves for life. How about the scholarship kid that never really plays but graduates and steps into a job near or at 6 figures because Billy Booster wants the name recognition vs the kids that have to pay their way (at a very high cost/debt) that don't have a celebrity to parlay into a high salary position? It is myopic to focus only on the kids that make it to a professional league. And, those who did make it to the league had the chance to learn finances, accounting, law, etc for free to help them manage instant wealth.

Hey, I am only providing the historical perspective. I don't know if your % are accurate, but it seems unlikely that many NBA players are idiots with their money. if you're % are accurate, then there is a whole slew of other problems there. But my overall point is that kids that go to college get a chance (for free at at a very high value) to prepare themselves for life. How about the scholarship kid that never really plays but graduates and steps into a job near or at 6 figures because Billy Booster wants the name recognition vs the kids that have to pay their way (at a very high cost/debt) that don't have a celebrity to parlay into a high salary position? It is myopic to focus only on the kids that make it to a professional league. And, those who did make it to the league had the chance to learn finances, accounting, law, etc for free to help them manage instant wealth.
My memory was off by %. I looked up the articles and it was 78% of NFL players and 60% of NBA players. That was in 2009. hard to guess what they are right now but the rest of our population seems to be getting a lot dumber, so why should the NBA be any different?

And don't get me wrong. I absolutely see tremendous value in an education. I'm speaking specifically of the players that only attend college for 1 season because they are forced to by rule. I'm smart enough to know that an education is a life long value that everyone should embrace. But very few of these college basketball players choose finance or accounting as their majors. Look up the UNC AFAM scandal, to get an idea about what degree paths these players are directed to, by the very people that are supposed to be educating them. Most of these athletes end up in Sports Management, African American Studies, Communications or some other study that lets them grease through and keep them eligible. 99% of the time it's a sham curriculum taylored to fit athletes that aren't academically capable of doing real college course work.