Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs....

This isn't about the NCAA.

Actually this is 100% about the NCAA, not the FBI or criminal charges. Do you know what the FBI is charging the Adidas rep with? Wire Fraud. That's the only "crime" he's really committed, and what's even funnier is the FBI is listing the university as the "victim".

Most of the NCAA violations are not crimes according to our laws. Its not a crime to pay a kid to go to a college...its just a massive NCAA violation. Why do you think Pitino hasn't been arrested or indicted by the FBI? Because he didn't commit any crimes...he just committed massive NCAA violations.

Actually this is 100% about the NCAA, not the FBI or criminal charges. Do you know what the FBI is charging the Adidas rep with? Wire Fraud. That's the only "crime" he's really committed, and what's even funnier is the FBI is listing the university as the "victim".

Most of the NCAA violations are not crimes according to our laws. Its not a crime to pay a kid to go to a college...its just a massive NCAA violation. Why do you think Pitino hasn't been arrested or indicted by the FBI? Because he didn't commit any crimes...he just committed massive NCAA violations.

isn't there crimes against untaxed cash or is that not a thing?

isn't there crimes against untaxed cash or is that not a thing?

Sure if the FBI really wanted to go after the families of the kids who received cash payments from Adidas and didn't report the income on their taxes. There have also been bribery charges since the payments were intended to benefit a publicly funded institution. Bribes aren't completely illegal in the US, they're only illegal if the company receives public funding

The investigation is ongoing. The NCAA won't be able to leave it alone. It's intertwined. The ongoing Fed investigation won't allow the NCAA to leave it. Pitino hasn't been indicted as it hasn't come down yet. Like I said, the Feds won't do a partial job. if indicted, you are screwed. Wait and see.

Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

The investigation is ongoing. The NCAA won't be able to leave it alone. It's intertwined. The ongoing Fed investigation won't allow the NCAA to leave it. Pitino hasn't been indicted as it hasn't come down yet. Like I said, the Feds won't do a partial job. if indicted, you are screwed. Wait and see.

Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”

Well the FBI charges are on shaky ground, so we'll see. They definitely uncovered some massive corruption, but labeling what exactly was criminal about it has been heavily contended..but so far upheld in court. For example, the FBI is listing the universities as the victim even though that university made money off those players playing for the school. Its really strange.

I just don't envision a future of John Calipari and Rick Pitino being hauled off in handcuffs. I think its going to come down to the FBI releasing all their discovery and then it will be up to the NCAA to level sanctions...which I just don't see them doing very harshly besides lowering banners and slapping probations. The NCAA basketball tournament is the NCAA's primary source of income. They're not going to jeopardize that.

Well the FBI charges are on shaky ground, so we'll see. They definitely uncovered some massive corruption, but labeling what exactly was criminal about it has been heavily contended..but so far upheld in court. For example, the FBI is listing the universities as the victim even though that university made money off those players playing for the school. Its really strange.

I just don't envision a future of John Calipari and Rick Pitino being hauled off in handcuffs. I think its going to come down to the FBI releasing all their discovery and then it will be up to the NCAA to level sanctions...which I just don't see them doing very harshly besides lowering banners and slapping probations. The NCAA basketball tournament is the NCAA's primary source of income. They're not going to jeopardize that.

Kind of a nice distraction from this season. Iowa does have a chance to pick up 3 wins yet.

Kind of a nice distraction from this season. Iowa does have a chance to pick up 3 wins yet.

I agree. I'd love to see all the major programs go down, and Hoiberg as well. I think it would be hilarious. But after the UNC decision, it has become painfully obvious that the NCAA isn't interested in negatively impacting their basketball revenue at all.

I'll believe it when I see it. All of these Hall Of Fame coaches will have their program's big money boosters contact their Senators and their Congressmen. The info will never be released and the crooked ass NCAA can go right on enabling their cash cow programs to make them millions.
If the NCAA would look the other way on North Carolina......they'll look the other way on anything.

Did you have to go and ruin it for all of us by describing what is most likely to happen? Damn.....

I think colleges sports in general need to be cleaned out so as to avoid becoming a defacto pro league. But you watch, this will be turned into a push to start allowing pay to players. The "You've got poor kids that can't afford to fly home or go on a date...." crowd is going to try and flip this.

I think colleges sports in general need to be cleaned out so as to avoid becoming a defacto pro league. But you watch, this will be turned into a push to start allowing pay to players. The "You've got poor kids that can't afford to fly home or go on a date...." crowd is going to try and flip this.
There’s a reason why illegal money and cheating has crept into college sports. You can’t have a billion dollar corporation making 100% of its money off of kids who don’t get paid other than a scholarship and expect it to stay clean. If you think it can be then your head’s in the sand.

People who think like that also think you can get crack and meth off the streets by making laws tougher. It’s a farcical argument with no regard for reality.

The one and done rule is 99% of the problem. We’re not talking about the Jordan Bohannons of the world, we’re talking about the players who would be skipping college anyway. Let players skip college altogether if they want. We live in a free market economy, if you’re 18 and have a skill other people want to pay you shitloads of money to do, why shouldn’t you be able to? Because ArvadaHawk wants to be nostalgic and control what kids do when they graduate high school? Would you tell a gifted guitarist that he either has to go to college or wait two years to go on tour because you want to watch him play the bar scene for free, because by god, that's the way it should be?

Society moves on, and this isn’t 1959 anymore, man. With the amount of money being made off their likenesses there’s no reason a kid shouldn’t be able to be able to market himself. Remove the one and done rule and allow players to make money off their autograph/name/likeness, and you won’t have near the shit sandwich you do now. But you won’t be in favor of that because you’d feel like you were watching junior league ball since the best players would skip it. Your opinion is totally selfish, by the way. You want to see kids forced to play ball in the NCAA for your own enjoyment, not because of some righteous or moral reason. Be honest.

Did you feel college basketball suffered when Bryant and James went pro?

Last edited: