Sources: College hoops corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs....

I just don't envision a future of John Calipari and Rick Pitino being hauled off in handcuffs.
There's a reason they call him Slick Rick. He nothing more than a mobster who knows how to coach basketball. He even flaunts it with the greasy slicked back hair, pinky rings, and track suits. I guarantee you he's got a little snub nose .38 in his night stand and a paper sack with some cash in it in case he needs to disappear for a while.

He's probably out right now in his Caddy checking for helicopters on his way to get groceries for spaghetti dinner.

Tell me this guy has never put a hit out or buried someone in Jersey...

1200px-Rick_Pitino%2C_2013_Final_Four.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try again. The contract extensions are not sound business. There was no sound reason to do them. That implies stupidity or something else. My guess is something else under the table.

you may be a touch biased though. Both major recent extensions absolutely are absurd and I don't agree with them either. That said, you are pretty clear on your feelings that there are lots of nefarious underpinnings at Iowa.

There's a reason they call him Slick Rick. He nothing more than a mobster who knows how to coach basketball. He even flaunts it with the greasy slicked back hair, pinky rings, and track suits. I guarantee you he's got a little snub nose .38 in his night stand and a paper sack with some cash in it in case he needs to disappear for a while.

He's probably out right now in his Caddy checking for helicopters on his way to get groceries for spaghetti dinner.

Tell me this guy has never put a hit out or buried someone in Jersey...

1200px-Rick_Pitino%2C_2013_Final_Four.jpg

True story, last week I was driving home from work and looked at the dude next to me driving and it was none other than Richard Pitino.

My two cents...

(1) There's no way we paid for this batch of players.

(2) Will we get to thank half of next years teams who were ineligible for the tournament field for Fran getting an extra year added on to his contract for making the tournament?

(3) The search for Fran's replacement is going to be that much harder when any up and coming coaches (or coaches with any upside) are being plucked left and right once schools start dumping coaches while trying to save face and future sanctions.

So reading the article.......if the indictments drop before the tourney selection and Iowa is not one of the schools named....they have a shot at the tourney right?

I crack myself up.

The investigation is ongoing. The NCAA won't be able to leave it alone. It's intertwined. The ongoing Fed investigation won't allow the NCAA to leave it. Pitino hasn't been indicted as it hasn't come down yet. Like I said, the Feds won't do a partial job. if indicted, you are screwed. Wait and see.

Sitting under protective order right now are the fruits of 330 days of monitoring activity by the feds, which one assistant US Attorney noted Thursday was “a voluminous amount of material.” That includes wiretaps from 4,000 intercepted calls and thousands of documents and bank records obtained from raids and confiscated computers, including those from notorious NBA agent Andy Miller.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” said a source who has been briefed on the details of the case. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”
The NCAA certainly can and WILL leave it alone. They ignore blatant violations by Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc each and every year!!!!!

So reading the article.......if the indictments drop before the tourney selection and Iowa is not part of the schools impacted....they have a shot at the tourney right?

I crack myself up.

Which goes back to my previous post about Fran getting an extra year added on to this contract as a result. How much luckier can we get.

Honest question though is whether or not we'd avoid the play in game in that scenario.

The NCAA certainly can and WILL leave it alone. They ignore blatant violations by Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc each and every year!!!!!

Nope, the cat will be out of the bag. Kind of like when Universities could come in and remove rape evidence in dorms. Those days are gone.

My two cents...

(1) There's no way we paid for this batch of players.

(2) Will we get to thank half of next years teams who were ineligible for the tournament field for Fran getting an extra year added on to his contract for making the tournament?

(3) The search for Fran's replacement is going to be that much harder when any up and coming coaches (or coaches with any upside) are being plucked left and right once schools start dumping coaches while trying to save face and future sanctions.
1) It wouldn't shock me to find out that not only did we pay for them, but Gutless Gary Barta negotiated the terms!
2) Doesn't matter what drops. Not a single team will miss the tourney this year.
3) Anyone that thinks this "FBI bombshell" will effect any of the P5 programs going forward, is way, way, way higher than anyone in the Mile high city.

In the NCAA's defense that might have something to do with the fact that nobody wants to see IUPUI playing Incarnate Word for the NCAA championship. I'm pretty sure that the big boys learn there lesson when the NCAA drops the hammer on the perennial bottom feeders to right all that is wrong in sports and punish the cheaters of the world.

1) It wouldn't shock me to find out that not only did we pay for them, but Gutless Gary Barta negotiated the terms!
2) Doesn't matter what drops. Not a single team will miss the tourney this year.
3) Anyone that thinks this "FBI bombshell" will effect any of the P5 programs going forward, is way, way, way higher than anyone in the Mile high city.

Well played on all three...Do you think that Gutless Gary learned the art of contract negotiating through such shady transactions. No wonder he's got ice in his veins when it's contract signing season. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow this whole corruption case finds Barta as the ring leader.

Well played on all three...Do you think that Gutless Gary learned the art of contract negotiating through such shady transactions. No wonder he's got ice in his veins when it's contract signing season. I wouldn't be surprised if somehow this whole corruption case finds Barta as the ring leader.
He's not smart enough. He's the mark these agents look to take advantage of. Ask KF's agent and see if he doesn't smile in spite of himself.

He's not smart enough. He's the mark these agents look to take advantage of. Ask KF's agent and see if he doesn't smile in spite of himself.

It's nothing but a ploy. The money he's costing Iowa with these extensions and buyouts is nothing compared to what he's making behind the shadows.

you may be a touch biased though. Both major recent extensions absolutely are absurd and I don't agree with them either. That said, you are pretty clear on your feelings that there are lots of nefarious underpinnings at Iowa.
I know for a fact there is corruption at Iowa. But it's usually in the construction contracts/good old boy network. Of which Gutless is certainly a part of.