Sounds like the NW game off

I can't recall the last time a game was cancelled or postponed due to the virus. Came out of the blue.
We’re hot, they’re not. Works for them.
Sounds on Twitter like it's a combo of injuries and COVID. Don't have the minimum players.

I'm not in favor of forfeits for stuff like that, all it would do is encourage teams and players to not report injuries which isn't good. Either make it up, or if the scheduling doesn't allow scratch the game as no contest.

Forfeit should be in effect IMO, Iowa shouldn't have to inconvenience their season because NW can't field a team. This is also on a big night for the program with the Street stuff. Total bullshit and bad move by NW.

Sounds on Twitter like it's a combo of injuries and COVID. Don't have the minimum players.

I'm not in favor of forfeits for stuff like that, all it would do is encourage teams and players to not report injuries which isn't good. Either make it up, or if the scheduling doesn't allow scratch the game as no contest.

I agree with rescheduling the games.

This allows NW to be healthy when they reschedule. Iowa lost to Wisconsin and EIU at less than full strength and the game will be scheduled and force Iowa to play an extra game when they should’ve had time off for rest, prep etc

IMO, this is bullshit.

Not focusing on COVID, if a team had a lot of injuries, can they postpone a game in a league? Do they have to forfeit where they would take a loss or does it just not count. Not sure how it works.

Not focusing on COVID, if a team had a lot of injuries, can they postpone a game in a league? Do they have to forfeit where they would take a loss or does it just not count. Not sure how it works.
I'm not sure of the answer. But I thought that there was some sort of rule that if you couldn't field a team of 7 (?) or so players, the game would be postponed.

The NCAA rule used to state that if you couldn't field enough players it was a forfeit. They changed it during COVID to say that it gets rescheduled, and if not rescheduled it gets declared a no-contest. There is no distinction between covid, sickness other than covid, or injury.

The new rule only states that if a team can't field enough eligible players (no mention of reason) it's a reschdule or no-contest).

I'm not sure of the answer. But I thought that there was some sort of rule that if you couldn't field a team of 7 (?) or so players, the game would be postponed.
That is correct. If teams can't agree on a reschedule date or both teams agree on not rescheduling, it's a no-contest.

This has happened I swear every god damn year since the 2015 Indiana game got cancelled with the falling beam. Every year I say I got "Game get's postponed" on my Iowa basketball bingo card open and it never lets me down.

Last season it was Iowa's game AT TOSU - which Iowa had to make up and it put them at a huge disadvantage where they had like 4 games in a 10 days. However, Iowa responded by going on a huge run during this time.

I would be interested to know the percentage of injury and COVID. If they got 5 guys banged up and one kid who miraculously decided to take a COVID test when no one is requiring testing now, that seems like gaming the system. But, if they have 4-5 kids down and really sick with COVID or the flu or whatever, I can see the wisdom of not punishing the team for making the responsible health decision and spreading to another team.

That all said, if it can't be made up, it should be a forfeit. The opponent should not be punished when it was ready to play.

No it goes here. NW needs to forfeit period. This aint no 2020 anymore. Good lordy.
Extreme bs. NW playing the covid card to not get beatdown by the Hawks.
Dont want covid...um...stop testing then.
I'm giving you a chance to not get banned. It's up to you if you want to play by the rules or not. I could not care less either way.

If you want to debate COVID it either goes in OT, or you can join HR and see the ridiculously derailed and argumentative thread they have going on over there. No one is preventing you from posting anything, only where it's posted. If you want to debate and argue with like-minded people on the issue you're more than welcome. Start a thread there (and see how many people join you).

Last warning.

I would be interested to know the percentage of injury and COVID. If they got 5 guys banged up and one kid who miraculously decided to take a COVID test when no one is requiring testing now, that seems like gaming the system. But, if they have 4-5 kids down and really sick with COVID or the flu or whatever, I can see the wisdom of not punishing the team for making the responsible health decision and spreading to another team.

That all said, if it can't be made up, it should be a forfeit. The opponent should not be punished when it was ready to play.
Leistikow said he talked to Fran and he wasn't mad or bent out of shape about it, and that they're going to reschedule.

I think people are making it a bigger deal than it is, but that's just my opinion.

Latest posts