Sounds like the NW game off

I’m not making it a big deal at all, just pointing out that it’s our current climate we live in. Cancelling games used to be never a thing, now it’s fairly common. Iowa didn’t push a football game for 9/11. They didn’t push a game for a teammate dieing in a tragic accident. Fast forward to 2023 and it’s two times in the last 2 years well after Covid protocols have been lessened. You think 5 times since 2014 isn’t a lot, I think it’s a lot. It’s all about your prospective. Imo it at least merits a bingo card spot ;) - mark your bingo card, Iowa moves a schedule game date.

Also, Oregon didn't play their first-round game in The Dance

Definite advantage against the Hawks

And it showed, but I am not certain we would have won otherwise

Last edited:
January 31st
February 7th

Those are the makeup dates that have been thrown around. It also helps that Evanston isn't that far away from Iowa City.

That would be hilarious if after all this drama the game got snowed out anyway.
Northwestern would have been in town tonight, well before the snow started.

Only time I ever remember a game being postponed due to weather once the visiting team was in town was Indiana in 1979. Of course I-80 being closed from the Quad Cities to Des Moines may have had something to do with that. They did get the game in the next day.

Still wouldn't make it any less hilarious.

Northwestern would have been in town tonight, well before the snow started.

Only time I ever remember a game being postponed due to weather once the visiting team was in town was Indiana in 1979. Of course I-80 being closed from the Quad Cities to Des Moines may have had something to do with that. They did get the game in the next day.

Still wouldn't make it any less hilarious.
Nowadays I could see them calling it off to prevent people from traveling to the game if it got bad enough. Kind of like how now they call school off before it even snows. They never used to do that.

Whenever I see that line (Chink in the armor) used I cringe. Remember that NBA point guard, Jeremy Lin I think his name was? He had a bad game and some ESPN dummy titled an article using that phrase. Seemed like an intentional racist pun, but whether intentional or just stupid, I think the dude got canned pretty publicly.
Well, I think the writer getting fired is a little extreme, but that is where we are now in the world. People applying their own definitions to situations and acting. Messed up.

chink1
/CHiNGk/

noun
noun: chink; plural noun: chinks
  1. a narrow opening or crack, typically one that admits light.

Its not going to snow much in east central Iowa. Supposed to get all the snow up here in MN.
I think you have been getting your fair share already! I have two daughters that live in twin cities area and they both reported about 15" from that last big event. We need the snow cover in Iowa, so share a little, ok??

Whatever happened to those gray teamers? Throw them out there if you have to.
I thought they should have enough walk ons for sure to fill in. It should be their problem to get a team out there. Not Iowas to worry about rescheduling. Either field a team or forfeit. This isn't an act of god or weather or something like that. It's all them.

It sucks the game is postponed since Iowa is playing really well right now (and NW is not). But on the positive side, I admire Fran for taking the high road and being flexible with NW. I don't many other of the d-bag coaches in this league would be this accommodating.

Plus, Iowa may be OK with this because postponing may increase the chance that Patrick is back at 100% when it's rescheduled.

I remember an incident in 1986 in Madison involving the Minnesota basketball team. Because the next game was an easy commute to Northwestern they stayed in Madison the night after the game.

Bad idea. Three players were arrested for sexual assault, with law enforcement literally storming their plane and pulling them off. With a quick turnaround they ended up forfeiting the Northwestern game.

It didn't end there. The incident in Madison was on a Thursday night. By Monday head coach Jim Dutcher had resigned, another player left or was dismissed from the team, and two more were declared academically ineligible for the spring semester.

They were down to six scholarship players and were considering canceling the remainder of their season. It wasn't until Tuesday or Wednesday of that week that they announced they would carry on with six scholarship players, a couple walk ons, and a couple football players.

If Minnesota had gone on to pull the plug on their season it would have screwed Iowa. Back then TV didn't control college sports the way it does now, and to minimize missed class time teams played mostly Thursday-Saturday. On travel weeks you would alternate opponents with your closest geographic rival. For Iowa that was the Gophers. Had they forfeited the rest of the season every team Iowa played would be better rested because they wouldnt have Minnesota that week

I thought they should have enough walk ons for sure to fill in. It should be their problem to get a team out there. Not Iowas to worry about rescheduling. Either field a team or forfeit. This isn't an act of god or weather or something like that. It's all them.

Yea, when you think about it, when did we shift from the game is cancelled/postponed because we actually don't have enough roster players to start, to the game is cancelled/postponed because we don't have enough "good" players to play. WTF?

A team should have to deal with the hand it is dealt.

Now, if for some rare instance that pretty much ALL of NW players (Scholly and walk-on) are out, OK. That's a unique situation. But, are most of their players out this game.

Does the rule say a team must have at least 7 scholly players available?

It sucks the game is postponed since Iowa is playing really well right now (and NW is not). But on the positive side, I admire Fran for taking the high road and being flexible with NW. I don't many other of the d-bag coaches in this league would be this accommodating.

Plus, Iowa may be OK with this because postponing may increase the chance that Patrick is back at 100% when it's rescheduled.

I was thinking it might not be a bad situation. I was thinking that Murray I know played two complete games up til the Maryland game. He was getting a ton of minutes and a few of those guys could use a game off. I bet Fran was thinking that as well. Plus, more time for Patrick if needed.

Yea, when you think about it, when did we shift from the game is cancelled/postponed because we actually don't have enough roster players to start, to the game is cancelled/postponed because we don't have enough "good" players to play. WTF?

A team should have to deal with the hand it is dealt.

Now, if for some rare instance that pretty much ALL of NW players (Scholly and walk-on) are out, OK. That's a unique situation. But, are most of their players out this game.

Does the rule say a team must have at least 7 scholly players available?
That's what it feels like to me too... I guess I don't blame Collins and the gamesmanship of it. Others would try and do the same. I blame the conference. Warren the lame duck he is sure doesn't give a shit. Is there a certain date that he's stepping aside or is he already out and working for the Bears?

Fran is taking the high road on it and just going with the flow being willing to reschedule it. I wish I knew what he really thinks about it though.

Yes 7 is the magic #

Well, I think the writer getting fired is a little extreme, but that is where we are now in the world. People applying their own definitions to situations and acting. Messed up.

chink1
/CHiNGk/

noun
noun: chink; plural noun: chinks
  1. a narrow opening or crack, typically one that admits light.
I don't remember all the details as its been a few years, but I seem to recall that he was a big national story because there were so few Asian players in the NBA, and never a PG. In the context of how much publicity that was getting, and in the context of the article, it seemed like a purposeful pun. If the writer knowingly used a racist pun, I am fine with him getting fired. That is not cool. If he was just tragically aloof and it was totally unintentional, I can see a case for some grace if there was a sincere apology.

Forfeit should be in effect IMO, Iowa shouldn't have to inconvenience their season because NW can't field a team. This is also on a big night for the program with the Street stuff. Total bullshit and bad move by NW.
I agree, it should be a forfeit situation. With these ridiculous days of COVID, if a team doesn't want to play a game all they have to do is scream COVID. With Hippa Laws as such, there is no way to prove, nor disprove such a claim. I mean, sorry you have a bunch of dudes with a compromised immune system, but the consequences must be forfeiture in this case.

I agree, it should be a forfeit situation. With these ridiculous days of COVID, if a team doesn't want to play a game all they have to do is scream COVID. With Hippa Laws as such, there is no way to prove, nor disprove such a claim. I mean, sorry you have a bunch of dudes with a compromised immune system, but the consequences must be forfeiture in this case.
Fully agree. OR, a reschedule occurs and the return trip to Evanston gets canceled outright. Your move, kittie kats.

I like the idea of simply rescheduling the home game as a replacement for the previously scheduled game at Evanston. No need to mess with the schedule or squeeze a game into the existing schedule.