Quiet portal

Hawkfnntn

Well for it being the last day of being able to get in the portal it sure is quiet. I haven't seen any Iowa RBs, Lbs or anyone else in there recently. (I don't count the walk on qb who cares) If today ends without anyone from else from Iowa leaving I gotta say that'll surprise me.

It'll also surprise me if a few more QBs from around the country don't get in. There's only been a few recently and none really move the needle. If I had to guess I'd say that Sullivan from Northwestern is probably our leader in the clubhouse for a QB we'd target but he sure feels like a fall back of sorts. (not that beggars can be choosers) I'd be curious who all else might be interested in him too though. We can't be the only school looking for one.

Until we see how long of a leash Kirk will give Lester, don’t expect QB’s and receivers to rush to Iowa City. Some fear very little will change until Kirk retires. With the new Pac Ten teams now on board it will be interesting to see if Kirk can maintain his 8 + win seasons.

I personally think that after this next season those win averages will likely start to drop especially if Lester is given a short leash. I am hoping Captain Control Freak just chills out and lets Lester do his own thing. Not likely but all we can do is hope.

Until we see how long of a leash Kirk will give Lester, don’t expect QB’s and receivers to rush to Iowa City. Some fear very little will change until Kirk retires. With the new Pac Ten teams now on board it will be interesting to see if Kirk can maintain his 8 + win seasons.

I personally think that after this next season those win averages will likely start to drop especially if Lester is given a short leash. I am hoping Captain Control Freak just chills out and lets Lester do his own thing. Not likely but all we can do is hope.
Yeah me either... What's odd is the lack of guys that are in it now though. For some reason the pendulum has swung the other way where guys don't want to hop in not knowing if they'll have a place to go I suppose. For 5 highly rated QBs to all be sticking at OSU is odd. Some other programs have crowded QB rooms too and only 1 can play.

I'm pretty surprised Jaz Patterson didn't get in the portal. Along with another RB. We have no less then 4 or 5 capable RBs that probably deserve significant reps. But I bet Williams and Johnson get the lions share of the snaps all yr again. I thought Moulton showed he's deserving of a role. And I bet with all the motion and different things Lester wants to do he'd fit in well with it. Just seems like Patterson is the odd man out kinda. But I think that speaks to him not knowing if he could find a better D1 spot to go to closer to home. I'm not complaining though I'm old enough to remember 2004....

LB room same thing we have 3 to 5 guys deserving of reps that won't really get any for 2 reasons. One being the obvious Jackson and Higgins came back and 2 Iowa pretty much only plays 2 Lbs 75% of the snaps or more now. It's tough to take Castro off the field as good as he is to begin with but just with the nature of how college football is played we aren't going to put a 3rd LB out there much as a base D.
I still remember AJ Edds out there trying to defend slot WRs and what a shit show that was at times. We sure don't do it anymore.

Yeah me either... What's odd is the lack of guys that are in it now though. For some reason the pendulum has swung the other way where guys don't want to hop in not knowing if they'll have a place to go I suppose. For 5 highly rated QBs to all be sticking at OSU is odd. Some other programs have crowded QB rooms too and only 1 can play.

I'm pretty surprised Jaz Patterson didn't get in the portal. Along with another RB. We have no less then 4 or 5 capable RBs that probably deserve significant reps. But I bet Williams and Johnson get the lions share of the snaps all yr again. I thought Moulton showed he's deserving of a role. And I bet with all the motion and different things Lester wants to do he'd fit in well with it. Just seems like Patterson is the odd man out kinda. But I think that speaks to him not knowing if he could find a better D1 spot to go to closer to home. I'm not complaining though I'm old enough to remember 2004....

LB room same thing we have 3 to 5 guys deserving of reps that won't really get any for 2 reasons. One being the obvious Jackson and Higgins came back and 2 Iowa pretty much only plays 2 Lbs 75% of the snaps or more now. It's tough to take Castro off the field as good as he is to begin with but just with the nature of how college football is played we aren't going to put a 3rd LB out there much as a base D.
I still remember AJ Edds out there trying to defend slot WRs and what a shit show that was at times. We sure don't do it anymore.

That’s the good and bad with having a great defense. Not enough openings for really good players to play so some end up moving on.

It really is too bad our offense hasn’t been just an average big ten team. Just being average would have given us a legit chance to win the last two Big Ten Championship games we played in.

There’s that old saying that Kirk apparently doesn’t believe in “No guts, no glory!”

I understand it though. I’ve worked with people in my twenty-nine year career before I retired last year, that got comfortable and didn’t want to try to get promotions. Yes it’s risky as if you get promoted then much more is expected and if you don’t measure up then those above you open the trap door and let you go. Fortunately for me I was very fortunate to survive my several promotions.

I guess that’s why I am sometimes short with Kirk. In someways I see him happy to maintain what he has done and not take risk. It’s what I saw in my profession with thousands of employees below me.

Kirk has done a very fine job and has been a good coach. However his conservative safe offensive play calling has limited him from becoming one of the greatest football coaches in college football history.

That’s the good and bad with having a great defense. Not enough openings for really good players to play so some end up moving on.

It really is too bad our offense hasn’t been just an average big ten team. Just being average would have given us a legit chance to win the last two Big Ten Championship games we played in.

There’s that old saying that Kirk apparently doesn’t believe in “No guts, no glory!”

I understand it though. I’ve worked with people in my twenty-nine year career before I retired last year, that got comfortable and didn’t want to try to get promotions. Yes it’s risky as if you get promoted then much more is expected and if you don’t measure up then those above you open the trap door and let you go. Fortunately for me I was very fortunate to survive my several promotions.

I guess that’s why I am sometimes short with Kirk. In someways I see him happy to maintain what he has done and not take risk. It’s what I saw in my profession with thousands of employees below me.

Kirk has done a very fine job and has been a good coach. However his conservative safe offensive play calling has limited him from becoming one of the greatest football coaches in college football history.
I just enjoy the not so subtle flex that is. Well done. But yeah that's KF he'd rather run it 3 times and punt then risk getting a first down by throwing into coverage it seems like. Let alone scoring a TD. He only seems to make drastic moves once backed into a corner. Be it 3rd and long late in the game down 2 possessions will he finally try something different etc.

So, as of right now, we are going into the season at QB with a starter who has shown great play 3 seasons ago, but has been injury plagued ever since, a guy who played a quarter of mop up duty last season, a redshirt freshman, and a true freshman? That's the room? Yikes.....

So, as of right now, we are going into the season at QB with a starter who has shown great play 3 seasons ago, but has been injury plagued ever since, a guy who played a quarter of mop up duty last season, a redshirt freshman, and a true freshman? That's the room? Yikes.....

The real question is what happens when our defense starts to falter. Yikes.

By my count I think there's just 3 guys Cade, Marco and incoming freshman James Resar. That's it that's all. No PWOs with Pohlosky leaving too. It'll be fascinating to see what plays out. If for no other reason they need to add an arm for practice this summer. Iowa is sure putting a lot of eggs in Cades basket that's for sure.

I listened to Chad Leistikow's podcast last night and he had the Swarm Collective head guy, Brad Heinrich on. Heinrich basically said that although there is not a lot to choose from there are some viable candidates in the portal and he expects Iowa to sign a transfer QB. It may not happen next week but it will happen.

The real question is what happens when our defense starts to falter. Yikes.
That's the thing we'll be playing some better offenses and maintaining what they'd been is a big ask. Even with most of the core guys back this yr it'll be tough to replicate. They ask so damn much of Phil Parker it's unreal.

Brad Hendricks said they WILL be bringing in a QB. He is involved in that heavily. Per HawkCentral podcast

By my count I think there's just 3 guys Cade, Marco and incoming freshman James Resar. That's it that's all. No PWOs with Pohlosky leaving too. It'll be fascinating to see what plays out. If for no other reason they need to add an arm for practice this summer. Iowa is sure putting a lot of eggs in Cades basket that's for sure.
You are right. May transferred so there is a hole in that class. Hell, they might need two QB portal guys. Feels like Nebraska time......

You are right. May transferred so there is a hole in that class. Hell, they might need two QB portal guys. Feels like Nebraska time......
A few more names are in portal somehow. OUs General Booty is in and Rutgers Gavin Wimsett I see. There's some other names in there all better then Hill but are any of them realistic for us to get or would we want? They'll have to just take someone anyone I would think. There's not a ton of urgency now but sooner the better.

A few more names are in portal somehow. OUs General Booty is in and Rutgers Gavin Wimsett I see. There's some other names in there all better then Hill but are any of them realistic for us to get or would we want? They'll have to just take someone anyone I would think. There's not a ton of urgency now but sooner the better.
When you already have a last name that is slang for hot ass, you don't tack on General for the first name. Bad parents......

When you already have a last name that is slang for hot ass, you don't tack on General for the first name. Bad parents......
General Booty hits Brown across the middle on a tight pass. Maybe it's a good thing Eddie P is retiring. If he comes to Iowa he and Dolph would get the giggles.

Wimsett could be interesting...I felt super confident in that game once Rutgers got into "have to throw" mode, it was clear Wimsett wasn't going to beat you in the drop-back game. But could he be effective in a run-heavy RPO offense? Maybe worth a shot, but I am sure he doesn't want to come here as a likely backup.

Wimsett could be interesting...I felt super confident in that game once Rutgers got into "have to throw" mode, it was clear Wimsett wasn't going to beat you in the drop-back game. But could he be effective in a run-heavy RPO offense? Maybe worth a shot, but I am sure he doesn't want to come here as a likely backup.
I agree Wimsett could be interesting. Brad Heinrichs brought his name up on the podcast. I don't know how picky he can be though based on last year's results. He is probably either going to have to come into a backup job at a P5 school or go to a Group of 5 school if he wants to start. Also, not sure why he is transferring? Was he beat out spring practice?

Yeah no idea where he's from or what he's looking for etc. I wasn't too impressed playing against him either. I'm not sure if having him and Lainez two guys who can run but neither pass would be a great combo either for us. But how picky can we be? We damn near need to say yes to the first interested kid that's taken a snap before.

Does our coaching staff not recognize the need for portal talent at quarterback, WR and offensive line?
Or
Is the necessary talent unwilling to come to the Iowa program?

Latest posts