Some Insight into the fiasco

Seroiusly, WTF are you talking about? Unless your last name is Gatens or Barta you have nothing but rank speculation to go on, and yet you and others are throwing this stuff around as though it was established fact.

I can understand doing the "what if" thing, that's what we do as fans--but it's wrong to state things as facts when you have no basis for doing so.

You didn't notice where I said "assuming all of this is true"?

What I was saying is that even if Gatens did go to Barta, that doesn't make him look like an a-hole. I'm not saying anyone did as fact(although I am on record saying that I believe something similar did happen). I just don't think it makes Gatens look bad in any light regardless.

Barta just needs to end sll of the rumors out there. either fire the man, or come out and say this is our guy, so the program can move forward from here. Being silent and letting all the media, message boards, and now espn speculating, cannot be good at this time.

Barta just needs to end sll of the rumors out there. either fire the man, or come out and say this is our guy, so the program can move forward from here. Being silent and letting all the media, message boards, and now espn speculating, cannot be good at this time.

The season is less than 24 hours from being done, besides the Big 10 Tourny is still going on. Can they at least have a conversation before we hang him?

I get the feeling people were seriously hoping Lickliter would quit before the game yesterday. I'm not a supporter of him staying on as coach, but for goodness sake can we at least give these folks the time to take care of the details that need to be hashed out.

It's not as simple as changing your underwear in the morning.

How would firing Lick demonstrate balls? Is having balls bowing to pressure? Having Balls is sticking to your plan when everyone else is against it.

What, do you think he is afraid to fire Lick because then Lick won't like him anymore? Is that why he doesn't have balls? If you ask me, Barta is showing tremendous sack by standing up for his guy when no one else will. I don't nessecarily agree with it, but I respect it.

Balls or stupidity to stay with a plan you now realize is flawed? Go into the light Ghost.....

This entire scenario is built on the assumption that Matt is kind of an a-hole, which is really unfair to Matt.

How does this story assume Matt is an a-hole? Because he wants to be in a program where his coach actually communicates with his players? Because he wants to have fun in his college career? Because he wants to win? I mean if there's someone that I would defer to on the qualifications of being an a-hole it would be you, but I think you're the one making assumptions.

Or maybe this whole supposed conversation between Barta and the Gatens family never took place and people are bloviating based on a lie. Just throwing that out there.

If one person should never be bigger than the program does that apply to Lick as well? He seems to be the one person most responsible for the condition the program is in.

I by no means was trying to make Gatens look like a bad dude. The reality is that Barta heard chatter about discontent(like I'm sure he has the last couple years) and decided to be proactive and gauge the pulse of the players in a more direct manner. Gatens wasn't the only one displeased with how things have gone, can't blame someone for questioning if there is a better place for them, especially when they are far from happy.

Unless Barta catches a lunker, the next coach will have Iowa ties for sure!

One person should never be bigger than a program.

Agreed. But a wise manager will "ignore an incident, attack a pattern". If Gatens unhappiness is part of a larger pattern - and Barta knows MUCH more of the details around prior defections than we ever will - then it could be the proverbial last straw.

Also, the source matters. This isn't Bain or Beutjer we're talking about. If a kid the quality of Gatens is expressing concern, you've got real issues.

If Barta is being bullied by Matt Gatens to make a coaching change, then he has no business running the department.

Regardless of any Gatens "bullying" I'm not sure Gary Barta has any business running this department to begin with.

Agreed. But a wise manager will "ignore an incident, attack a pattern". If Gatens unhappiness is part of a larger pattern - and Barta knows MUCH more of the details around prior defections than we ever will - then it could be the proverbial last straw.

Also, the source matters. This isn't Bain or Beutjer we're talking about. If a kid the quality of Gatens is expressing concern, you've got real issues.

I agree, this isn't about Gatens or Fuller going to Barta, this is about some serious internal issues with the coach and his players and it isn't like these two are the first ones to voice their displeasure with the internal issues of the program. This is about the others that left also because they didn't like the program and the direction it was headed as well.

I was in a similar position in hs.

New coach shows up my junior year. Screwed our team over and alienated all the captains and star players. I ended up quitting and the people who stayed had zero fun the rest of the season. We went to our AD and he took the coaches side.

No one knows better than the players if a coach is incompetent.

I'm proud of Barta for listening to the only people that really matter.

The players.

Latest posts