Some Insight into the fiasco

I agree 1 player isn't bigger than the program. But, that isn't the case here by a long shot. Here are just a few:

1) 9 transfers in 3 years

2) 10K empty seats

3) Season ticket holders not renewing

4) I'm confident in saying Barta has received heat from boosters

5) Many fans letting him know their dissatisfaction with the program

6) Negative comments by ex-players

The list can go on and on. One player may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but to say one player caused this is completely false.

I agree 1 player isn't bigger than the program. But, that isn't the case here by a long shot. Here are just a few:

1) 9 transfers in 3 years

2) 10K empty seats

3) Season ticket holders not renewing

4) I'm confident in saying Barta has received heat from boosters

5) Many fans letting him know their dissatisfaction with the program

6) Negative comments by ex-players

The list can go on and on. One player may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but to say one player caused this is completely false.

This is completely true you can't logically say that the prospect of Matt leaving if Lick isn't fired is why Barta is considering firing Lickliter.

i'll pitch in what I can towards the "Ditch Lick Hire Pearl" fund, anyone else wanna start a trust and donate to the worthy cause?

For the past 3 months, Lickliter supporters have repeatedly said that he should have another year AS LONG AS NO ONE TRANSFERS.

Now when the AD speaks with players and upperclassmen talk to him (and their parents) about how they are dissatisfied with the program and tell him they are thinking about transferring because of the state of the program, some of you are accusing the players and parents of running the program?

Would you have preferred that the players and parents said nothing and 2 months from now just have transferred? What then? Would it still be the players fault or the parents fault? Would it have been their fault for not speaking up sooner? Or would you have preferred that the players just transfer and Lickliter AGAIN start all over from scratch and then people could say, "Oh they are just young," and Iowa loses 20 plus games again next year?

Why not put all of this directly where it belongs...on Lickliter's shoulders. It is obvious that he is not communicating with his players; some are not happy. Yet some of you would rather call the players prima donnas because they speak feelings about playing on the worst team Iowa has ever seen. Again, should they just transfer if they aren't happy? or just suck it up and play on the worst team Iowa has ever seen? Which is it?

Obviously, there are big problems within the team now isn't there...so let's blame the players and parents because they also want something better. You like me don't know the inner workings of the team or how Lickliter communicates with the team. It sounds like some players were very upset at how Tucker was treated. Whose fault is that. Could that have been handled better by the coach with the players?

It is reported that Lickliter demands absolute loyalty. These players are not dogs. They are men with feelings and it appears that Lickliter has real problems with communication does it not.

Lickliter dug this hole...so HE is the only one to blame. Apparently the players have had enough of him so it is either talk with the AD or transfer.

SO what do you lickliter supporters want to do. All these months you said he could have another year IF no one transferred. Well players want to transfer, and there is dissension on the team apparently.

Do you want to lose upperclassmen again next year and start all over again because that is what it looks like we would have, another fresh start, and another 20 game losing season. So are Lickliter supporters backing out on their earlier thoughts of giving the man another year because some players made their thoughts known that they want to transfer OR should they just have kept their mouths shut and transferred? Which would have been better for the program?

Just curious....

I was in a similar position in hs.

New coach shows up my junior year. Screwed our team over and alienated all the captains and star players. I ended up quitting and the people who stayed had zero fun the rest of the season. We went to our AD and he took the coaches side.

No one knows better than the players if a coach is incompetent.

I'm proud of Barta for listening to the only people that really matter.

The players.

LOL!

Latest posts