Some Insight into the fiasco

In your mind sure, but last time I checked you weren't the AD. It's his choice and his choice alone, I am sure that he will listen to players but if Gatens or his family gave him sort of ultimatium then Matt isn't the type of guy I want on our team no matter how good he is. Let's not forget nobody forced him to sign with Iowa out of HS.

This entire scenario is built on the assumption that Matt is kind of an a-hole, which is really unfair to Matt.

I agree that it is a huge leap to call it ''bullying the coach'' if players and their parents met with Barta to discuss the situation. These players have rights also,correct? They are not indentured servants of lick...still America,I believe.

Irregardless of how it all turns out, it doesnt appear as Lick has the same relationship with the players that the Captain has with his, and that is unfortunate.

In your mind sure, but last time I checked you weren't the AD. It's his choice and his choice alone, I am sure that he will listen to players but if Gatens or his family gave him sort of ultimatium then Matt isn't the type of guy I want on our team no matter how good he is. Let's not forget nobody forced him to sign with Iowa out of HS.

Do you really think Matt was the only one?

This entire scenario is built on the assumption that Matt is kind of an a-hole, which is really unfair to Matt.

I agree with this. I also think it is possible that this come up when Matt talked to Barta. I think that a meeting happened, and I think that when it hit the message boards it was construed as Matt being a jerk about it. I went to school with members of the Gatens family, and they were some of the nicest people in the school. There is nothing wrong with Barta meeting with the players and Matt telling him how he truly feels. I think we all know that Matt was not happy this year and probably pretty dang frustrated. But give the kid a break... he isn't going to give an ultimatum, but he may have said... I am thinking about transferring because I am not happy playing bb at Iowa in this situation.

If I am Barta and I hear this coming out of the mouth of a kid who bleeds black and gold... I make a change... But I do not think Matt was an a-hole in this situation. I would bet my life that if he did talk to Barta he did it tastefully and just said what was on his mind.

Just my opinion fwiw.

Exactly, if Gatens and his family just met with Barta to give them their point of view IF they said something like, this isnt working out and coach isnt our type of coach and nobody on the team is having fun, so Matt thinks its in his best interests to finish his career elsewhere, then what can Barta do? If he is SURE players are leaving and he will just have to fire Lick after next year then why wouldnt he fire him now?

So many uninformed assumptions are being made about these player meetings, it's incredible.

I start with the proposition that whether the complaints of a player or players shoudl have any bearing on a coach's status depends on what the complaints are and on what the history has been with respect to any similar complaints and the coach's compliance with any guidance on improvement.

The only facts that any of us really know at this point relate to the players who have left and comments that were made surrounding those departures. That does provide something of a baseline to recognize a potential problem, but that's only a part of the context that would affect how further player complaints or impending departures should be handled by Barta.

Without knowing those facts no one has a basis for asserting that Barta isn't responding appropriately to whatever information he may have received from the players this time around. I am concerned about how Barta will do if he does replace Lick, but that's based on what we saw when he hired Lick. At this point I have no reason to question his judgment in other program management areas, and I have no reason to think he's going to make a poor judgment about how to deal with coach/player relationship issues.

This entire scenario is built on the assumption that Matt is kind of an a-hole, which is really unfair to Matt.[/QUOTEI

Is it? Or was that your assumption?

Matt informing Barta that he was going to transfer didn't have to force Barta's hand. Barta chose to let that happen. If anything, Matt was being responsible and informing Barta early and face to face.
It would have been much worse had Barta found out these incidents through the media or by Matt's transcript papers. There is nothing a-holish about what Matt did(assuming all of this is true).

What Barta should have done was talk privately to two players and their families(we should all know which two unless your head is still in the sand), and then waited til after the tourney to talk to the rest of the team. Doing it before the tournament with all of that media lurking around was a recipe for disaster.

If Barta is being bullied by Matt Gatens to make a coaching change, then he has no business running the department.

The odds of just one player creating this are very slim. We have reports that it was 2 and quite honestly in the end I think will find out it was even more than that who threatened to leave the Iowa program.

These comments echo's the sentiments of players that have left in the past. Davis, Freeman, Petersen, Palmer, Tucker and probably Kelly though this is up for debate. I'm still of the sentiment he left Iowa because of Lick. Bet at some stage an article will arise years down the road from Kelly confirming this.

and people are making some pretty big leaps on the gatens front and I dont think that is fair to matt. he has busted his *** the last two years and has gone through the ringer.
AMEN Jon...but he wasn't, in my opinion, playing with the same zeal he did a year ago. He seemed detached this whole season.

The odds of just one player creating this are very slim. We have reports that it was 2 and quite honestly in the end I think will find out it was even more than that who threatened to leave the Iowa program.

These comments echo's the sentiments of players that have left in the past. Davis, Freeman, Petersen, Palmer, Tucker and probably Kelly though this is up for debate. I'm still of the sentiment he left Iowa because of Lick. Bet at some stage an article will arise years down the road from Kelly confirming this.

So why in the hell if that was the case would Kelly want to come back here? He left to be closer to his dad and has told several people that leaving Iowa was a big mistake and wishes that he never would have left.

Exactly, if Gatens and his family just met with Barta to give them their point of view IF they said something like, this isnt working out and coach isnt our type of coach and nobody on the team is having fun, so Matt thinks its in his best interests to finish his career elsewhere, then what can Barta do? If he is SURE players are leaving and he will just have to fire Lick after next year then why wouldnt he fire him now?

+1

There is a difference between letting the AD know you may be leaving and issuing the AD an ultimatum of "its me or the coach". The AD is responsible for releasing players from their scholarship so if Gatens was thinking about transferring he would have to meet with Barta eventually to ask for that release.

What has even the Lick defenders said "If there are more transfers after this season he has to go." Which would you rather have the transfers then a new coach or Barta having at least one player ask for his release and reacting to it to try and keep the team intact by changing coaches which you all said should happen if there were more transfers.

So why in the hell if that was the case would Kelly want to come back here? He left to be closer to his dad and has told several people that leaving Iowa was a big mistake and wishes that he never would have left.

He doesn't want to come back here and he is on record saying that many times now.

He really missed Iowa City and his friends on the team. I don't think it had anything to do with missing Lick by any means. But that's just my opinion.

Matt informing Barta that he was going to transfer didn't have to force Barta's hand. Barta chose to let that happen. If anything, Matt was being responsible and informing Barta early and face to face.

It would have been much worse had Barta found out these incidents through the media or by Matt's transcript papers. There is nothing a-holish about what Matt did(assuming all of this is true).

What Barta should have done was talk privately to two players and their families(we should all know which two unless your head is still in the sand), and then waited til after the tourney to talk to the rest of the team. Doing it before the tournament with all of that media lurking around was a recipe for disaster.

Seroiusly, WTF are you talking about? Unless your last name is Gatens or Barta you have nothing but rank speculation to go on, and yet you and others are throwing this stuff around as though it was established fact.

I can understand doing the "what if" thing, that's what we do as fans--but it's wrong to state things as facts when you have no basis for doing so.

Latest posts