Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to put this in but it has to do with sports, probably the hawks, society and social items. The sports news around central Iowa and Iowa tells of more than several high school baseball and softball teams have players test positive and the teams are pausing their seasons for about 2 weeks, canceling any practices, and quarantining that 2 weeks. Iowa's football program has way more players, support staff, and coaches involved than the maybe 20 on these high school teams.

With the US hitting 50,000 cases yesterday into today which is reported as an 82% increase over a week ago and with it reported that the 7 day rolling avg of new cases showing 45 states with increases , FORTY FIVE, it seems highly likely that at least one college team per P5 conference is going to have some Covid issues that stop play. I wish it wasnt so but if daily cases keep increasing at even 50% over each 7 days then we will have 100,000 cases per day in about 2 weeks. At even 20% increase it isnt even a month or so just barely into August that 100,000 new cases per day will be here.

And of course the real number of cases is deemed to be about 10 times the test numbers and since we really dont test too many yet, maybe 500,000 a day, then we hardly know how many players, coaches, spectators, ushers etc could stop the football games from going on.

I am not sure if this is the correct thread to put this in but it has to do with sports, probably the hawks, society and social items. The sports news around central Iowa and Iowa tells of more than several high school baseball and softball teams have players test positive and the teams are pausing their seasons for about 2 weeks, canceling any practices, and quarantining that 2 weeks. Iowa's football program has way more players, support staff, and coaches involved than the maybe 20 on these high school teams.

With the US hitting 50,000 cases yesterday into today which is reported as an 82% increase over a week ago and with it reported that the 7 day rolling avg of new cases showing 45 states with increases , FORTY FIVE, it seems highly likely that at least one college team per P5 conference is going to have some Covid issues that stop play. I wish it wasnt so but if daily cases keep increasing at even 50% over each 7 days then we will have 100,000 cases per day in about 2 weeks. At even 20% increase it isnt even a month or so just barely into August that 100,000 new cases per day will be here.

And of course the real number of cases is deemed to be about 10 times the test numbers and since we really dont test too many yet, maybe 500,000 a day, then we hardly know how many players, coaches, spectators, ushers etc could stop the football games from going on.
Our county has the policy of shutting down for 2 weeks for ANY positive tests.

Our baseball season is essentially over because of 1 test. Our superintendent doesn't know how we can reasonably have school if those are the parameters, and online schooling is tough for us because we're a very spread out, rural district, and we're never gonna keep students' attention like in-person would.

St Louis city and county are requiring masks starting Friday. I live on the border of the county.
My daughter goes to a clinic tomorrow to get tested. She live in Cape Girardeau, and goes to school at Southeast Missouri St. She cam in contact with a couple friends who were exposed. She has a stuffy nose and a sore throat.
My school district starts Summer school Monday. The only real precautions are hand washing and limiting kids exposure to groups larger than 25.
In our district only 50% of the homes have internet. So I dont see any reason that we will shut down at this point. Our county has not had many cases. and no real increase.
My younger daughter is going to college in a county that has had 5 cases.
Im on the fence anymore. We cannot just keep shutting stuff down. There is already going to be a gap with the kids because of last year. Another school shut down will put thee kids even further behind.

What is the answer? I think it is to protect the vulnerable. And the rest of us take necessary precautions (masks, washing hands, etc.).

But what do I know, this is far above my pay grade.

Our county has the policy of shutting down for 2 weeks for ANY positive tests.

Our baseball season is essentially over because of 1 test. Our superintendent doesn't know how we can reasonably have school if those are the parameters, and online schooling is tough for us because we're a very spread out, rural district, and we're never gonna keep students' attention like in-person would.

And most K-12 schools are not trained, do not have the interactive software, probably not enough tech support, etc to do really good distance learning. Some subjects can be done in Zoom or Signal etc via a lecture discussion format with audio-visual elements. Math and history can be done this way without a lot of hands on instruction. The sciences, phys ed, art, and some other more hands on subjects will suffer with distance learning UNLESS you have a lot of very good interactive software.

If you have a lot of money and time developers, graphics designers, and instructional designers can build highly interactive science computer learning programs. I know because from 1992-95, 1998-2002 and for another year later I did computer based instructional design and programming.

And most K-12 schools are not trained, do not have the interactive software, probably not enough tech support, etc to do really good distance learning. Some subjects can be done in Zoom or Signal etc via a lecture discussion format with audio-visual elements. Math and history can be done this way without a lot of hands on instruction. The sciences, phys ed, art, and some other more hands on subjects will suffer with distance learning UNLESS you have a lot of very good interactive software.

If you have a lot of money and time developers, graphics designers, and instructional designers can build highly interactive science computer learning programs. I know because from 1992-95, 1998-2002 and for another year later I did computer based instructional design and programming.

For a full encapsulated course yes. A lot can be done with YouTube, email and a discussion board. A computer and a smartphone.... Can make a proctored exam.

The dominoes will start falling soon. At least the SEC can claim another championship when they are the only conference playing football.

For a full encapsulated course yes. A lot can be done with YouTube, email and a discussion board. A computer and a smartphone.... Can make a proctored exam.
Even with creative, well-done distance learning material, kids are going to generally suffer.

My son has a learning disability but has until now managed it well with medication and lots of work. He went from almost being unable to finish kindergarten to straight As through 7th grade once we got everything figured out. If you read Kallenberger’s statement (minus the abuse), that’s a carbon copy of my son’s situation.

When we had to switch to distance learning everything went out the window. It was an absolute nose dive and I won’t do that again. I will quit my job and drive him 150 miles round trip everyday if I have to to find him in-person schooling this fall. That’s to say nothing of elementary kids. Parents aren’t qualified nor are they able to keep 1st graders sitting in front of a computer screen.

My son’s mom and I have made the decision to open enroll to somewhere with in person schooling as a personal choice, we have no elderly or vulnerable people in either of our homes, and our son is very fit and healthy. Like driving to work everyday, there is a level of risk we will assume and data shows 1) infection won’t seriously harm him if he contracts it, 2) it won’t seriously harm anyone that he has regular contact with if he contracts it, and 3) so far immunity has been demonstrated after infection. Yes, we know there are always risks but—both statistically and empirically—our son has a much higher chance of irreversible damage to his education and learning by not attending in-person school.

His mom and I are both pragmatic people, and we’ve spent many, many hours going over options and their consequences with his education. If there are no schools within a day’s drive, we’ll punt. I’ve told his mom I’ll go so far as to move with him somewhere and work sweeping floors. I don’t care. It’s that important to me.

The dominoes will start falling soon. At least the SEC can claim another championship when they are the only conference playing football.

Dabo has made it clear that come hell or high water, Clemson is playing. Let's be honest here for a minute. There are only two teams that can play with the SEC elite. They are Clemson and Ohio State. Hell, at this point I'd be fine if we just got an 8 or 16 team tournament based on a popularity contest and no season. Open it up to every team that has won a title in the past 10 years or whatever. Maybe sprinkle in Oklahoma, ND, Texas, someone like Michigan or PSU. Do we really need to watch shit like Vandy versus Middle Tennessee or Rutgers v Northwestern?

There is already going to be a gap with the kids because of last year. Another school shut down will put thee kids even further behind.

My boy is a year from starting kindergarten and has already hit the proficiency marks for most of what he needs to have down after kindergarten. We got him enrolled in the Mandarin school thankfully. If that kid got dropped in a regular kindergarten, he would be an absolute nightmare because he'd be so bored. Source: Me. By the time he is 22 and looking for a job, the massive dollar reserves held in Japan and China will give those countries tremendous power to pick over the carcasses of the West and having language skills for that region are going to be critical in finding good jobs in business. I just hope his brain can handle three languages. We shall see. I just hope he can hang with the Mandarin school because it will teach the Chinese alphabet, which is the same as the complicated Japanese alphabet and he should be able to become functionally literate in Japanese without 30 hours of homework per week.

My friends have a daughter who was in kindergarten this past school year. When The Germ hit, she finished the kindergarten curriculum in a week. She's now about halfway through the second grade curriculum. They are in discussions with a couple of home school co-ops because she'll be at a huge disadvantage if they try to throw her back into public schools. I think that's happening to a lot of people who have reasonably intelligent kids who don't park them in front of a TV or YouTube for 12 hours a day. The public school teachers are going to be in a world of absolute shit when they fully reopen.

Dabo has made it clear that come hell or high water, Clemson is playing. Let's be honest here for a minute. There are only two teams that can play with the SEC elite. They are Clemson and Ohio State. Hell, at this point I'd be fine if we just got an 8 or 16 team tournament based on a popularity contest and no season. Open it up to every team that has won a title in the past 10 years or whatever. Maybe sprinkle in Oklahoma, ND, Texas, someone like Michigan or PSU. Do we really need to watch shit like Vandy versus Middle Tennessee or Rutgers v Northwestern?
Lol. People talking even in hypotheticals about football this year cracks me up.

There isn’t even going to be basketball, let alone football.

If I were employed in sports media or event operations, unfortunately I would have been sending resumes out by now. People can only stay on payrolls for so long talking about projected start dates and the COVID situation. When football and basketball don’t happen everything’s doneski.

And to be honest, it’s really the fault of fans because we’re the ones who’ve used our wallets to turn college sports into an unsustainable financial house of cards. We’ve made it so big that it can’t survive as we know it with a disturbance like this.

Last edited:
Lol. People talking even in hypotheticals about football this year cracks me up.

There isn’t even going to be basketball, let alone football.

If I were employed in sports media or

event operations, unfortunately I would have been sending resumes out by now. People can only stay on payrolls for so long talking about projected start dates and the COVID situation. When football and basketball don’t happen everything’s doneski.

And to be honest, it’s really the fault of fans because we’re the ones who’ve used our wallets to turn college sports into an unsustainable financial house of cards. We’ve made it so big that it can’t survive as we know it with a disturbance like this.

Totally agree. There's a 0% chance there is a regular college football season, even without fans. The SEC powers and Clemson will absolutely do whatever to try to play at least a handful of games, though. I don't see any way the PAC 10 is gonna even try. They really need a "shit or get off the pot" conference call between all the commissioners and ADs to figure out who is really serious and try to come up with a workable shortened schedule for teams that are willing to roll the dice, which I suspect won't be many.

Even with creative, well-done distance learning material, kids are going to generally suffer.

My son has a learning disability but has until now managed it well with medication and lots of work. He went from almost being unable to finish kindergarten to straight As through 7th grade once we got everything figured out. If you read Kallenberger’s statement (minus the abuse), that’s a carbon copy of my son’s situation.

When we had to switch to distance learning everything went out the window. It was an absolute nose dive and I won’t do that again. I will quit my job and drive him 150 miles round trip everyday if I have to to find him in-person schooling this fall. That’s to say nothing of elementary kids. Parents aren’t qualified nor are they able to keep 1st graders sitting in front of a computer screen.

My son’s mom and I have made the decision to open enroll to somewhere with in person schooling as a personal choice, we have no elderly or vulnerable people in either of our homes, and our son is very fit and healthy. Like driving to work everyday, there is a level of risk we will assume and data shows 1) infection won’t seriously harm him if he contracts it, 2) it won’t seriously harm anyone that he has regular contact with if he contracts it, and 3) so far immunity has been demonstrated after infection. Yes, we know there are always risks but—both statistically and empirically—our son has a much higher chance of irreversible damage to his education and learning by not attending in-person school.

His mom and I are both pragmatic people, and we’ve spent many, many hours going over options and their consequences with his education. If there are no schools within a day’s drive, we’ll punt. I’ve told his mom I’ll go so far as to move with him somewhere and work sweeping floors. I don’t care. It’s that important to me.

I disagree, but it is dependent on the LD. I was really into impact evaluations and was a bit of a pioneer on online learning. I always had good results in traditional classrooms to the point I could not think it could get better and with online it did.

Why? Students felt more safe asking questions online than with peers physically present. Bullying is practically non existent and if there is it is more readily reported. As a teacher I found it easier to figure out what a student does or doesn't understand. Also depending on the class the student can participate on their own time to a degree.

No system is perfect though, but online can be excellent. I've seen students really blossom online and not because the parents are doing it for them..

Not saying this as a cheap shot, but it's true. Life is never perfect. The best situation for your son was in a supportive 2 parent family. That didn't happen, but we make the best of what we can.

Last edited:
I just want to express my opinion on this one thread you have started. It’s hard to know where you draw line on this. Some points seem like they could be in a different thread. As this thread gets more and more pages added it’s likely that some will lose interest in looking at page 20 or 25 or 30.

Also Rob shouldn’t you be held to the same standard? You just posted a podcast discussing how one player hopes to help things out. That would be a SOCIAL topic and by your own set of rules should be posted here. Isn’t IOWA CULTURE and SOCIAL pretty similar?

I understand where you are coming from though. New Thread after new thread after new thread on the same subject also gets old. I am not sure what the solution is but I can see this getting old also.

“Let me try to remember which page did I last read on so I know where to try to pick back up on. I think it was page 22 but I am not sure.” What a pain in the ass that’s gonna be.

Last edited:
Former Hawkeye basketball player Jarryd Cole was on a podcast for my former church talking race recently if anybody wants the perspective of a former player. It's obviously a church podcast so there is going to be some pretty heavy Jesus talk if you're not down for that. Doesn't talk about Iowa specifically, more big picture, but he's a guy who I think Iowa fans remember fondly who I think does a very good job talking about this in a nuanced way.

https://www.buzzsprout.com/940456/4202759-racial-justice-listening

Totally agree. There's a 0% chance there is a regular college football season, even without fans. The SEC powers and Clemson will absolutely do whatever to try to play at least a handful of games, though. I don't see any way the PAC 10 is gonna even try. They really need a "shit or get off the pot" conference call between all the commissioners and ADs to figure out who is really serious and try to come up with a workable shortened schedule for teams that are willing to roll the dice, which I suspect won't be many.

The Big 12, at least most of it, will absolutely be playing as well.