Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

Yes, Brian joined the staff in '12. He's been the OC for three seasons.

Here is what I was thinking about from the Gazette. Numbers went down after BF's tirade. I would expect recent players to be less, but increase with time, so may not mean anything. The peak was when BF arrived, but also GD became HC. No complaints against GD? Doyle was there during low years as well.
upload_2020-6-30_10-9-40.png

It's a buzzword that no one will define on here. What it is basically advancing is an argument for cultural relativism. As applied in these situations, it is the belief that rules or laws of general applicability that are established by a dominant culture are bad if they apply to a non-dominant culture in some manner in which individuals of the non-dominant culture view as opposition to their cultural mores, standards or beliefs.

Let's use Italians and Russians in New Jersey as an example. Let's say that there's a nice restaurant in New Jersey that has a dress code that says "all gentlemen must wear a coat and tie" and an "all conversations must be reasonably quiet" rule.

Say a group of Russians wearing Adidas track suits shows up at the restaurant and protests the dress code by noting that they are wearing their finest evening wear. Cultural relativism would say that it is wrong of the restaurant to apply the dress code rule to them because the suit and tie rule is an offshoot of WASP ideals of gentlemanly behavior and that it is cultural imperialism for that rule of general applicability to be used against the Russians.

Later that night, a group of 16 Italians has 4 tables pushed together and the patriarch of the family thinks he is Tony Soprano and yells vulgarities at the top of his lungs to make sure that his second cousin at the other end of the table can hear his jokes. Pearls are clutched all around the restaurant and some Karen, after fanning herself and trying to cover little Xander's ears, asks the manager to ask them to keep it down. If the manager asks the Italian family to keep it down, the cultural relativist would say it is wrong because again, the volume rule is an attempt to enforce WASP-ish notions of gentlemanly behaviors against Italians, who may possess different notions of appropriate behavior in a restaurant.

For real world examples, look at some of the media "defenses" of Mike Vick and Adrian Peterson. Some cultural relativists rushed to their defense by saying their behaviors were acceptable when measured against their cultures. It wasn't a lot, but as time marches on, these sorts of defenses will become more and more accepted.

Vicks sentencing was out of line.

Respectfully, but completely disagree.

Why? How many get off for rape with almost nothing or people who kill DUI?

So, respectfully, why? If it's about begging the race question, I'm not stating it was, it just brings it up.

Pub Med interesting results. Relevant to O Keffe Pres post.

Using data from 400 adults, we examine how race affects perceptions of criminal punishment and subsequent reinstatement into the National Football League in the case of Michael Vick, a star professional quarterback who pled guilty to charges of operating an illegal dog-fighting ring.Results. Findings show that whites are more likely to view Vick's punishment as too soft and that he should not be reinstated, while nonwhites had the opposite views. Race remained significant after controlling for other variables believed to be related to punishment perceptions.Conclusion. Attitudes toward both criminal punishment and NFL reinstatement vary across race such that there exists important divides in how individuals perceive the system meting out punishment and subsequently reintegrating offenders back into society. These results underscore that white and nonwhites perceive the law and its administration differently.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21919273/

Someone earlier asked about what "White Privilege or Whiteness" was. Whites control the judicial system, so therefore this is an example.

Last edited:

So, respectfully, why? If it's about begging the race question, I'm not stating it was, it just brings it up.

Using data from 400 adults, we examine how race affects perceptions of criminal punishment and subsequent reinstatement into the National Football League in the case of Michael Vick, a star professional quarterback who pled guilty to charges of operating an illegal dog-fighting ring.Results. Findings show that whites are more likely to view Vick's punishment as too soft and that he should not be reinstated, while nonwhites had the opposite views. Race remained significant after controlling for other variables believed to be related to punishment perceptions.Conclusion. Attitudes toward both criminal punishment and NFL reinstatement vary across race such that there exists important divides in how individuals perceive the system meting out punishment and subsequently reintegrating offenders back into society. These results underscore that white and nonwhites perceive the law and its administration differently.

Someone earlier asked about what "White Privilege or Whiteness" was. Whites control the judicial system, so therefore this is an example.

Look, I just think it is asinine for the Feds to regulate dog fighting, but at the same time, Vick avoided a RICO charge, which is massive whammy that the Feds could have easily dropped on him and that puts you in a totally different ballpark under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Vick had the best counsel money could buy. He could have gone to trial and he would have been assured of having black representation on the jury. It just takes one not-guilty on that 12 person federal jury and you're off the hook. The problem is the Feds ain't bringing that case unless they are 99% confident they will get a conviction and if you try a case rather than taking a plea, you're fucked if you lose. Doesn't matter what color you are.

We did not write a story. If we had, I could have decided whether or not to add in previous Tweets/comments. I tweeted the FB statement and UI’s response. I did the same thing here.

James Daniels, Mike Daniels, Jaleel Johnson, Amani Hooker and a number of players who alleged mistreatment at Iowa have Tweets praising Iowa, even Doyle, from the past. I didn’t RT those, either. Speaking from experience, it happens in abusive relationships. People compliment their abusers. That doesn’t automatically discredit them when they speak out about alleged abuse.

I agree with everything you said accept for the choosing of which part of a story should and should not be published. That's where my contention is... If there's more to the story to be published then it needs to be a part of it... if available. Cherry picking headlines and stories pushes an angle that may or may not be true. It's that simple. You mentioned on the podcast about the various layers there are to AK's story (and I agree there are), but discrediting someone works on both sides of the aisle. AK made it available...

In my line of work, you better have it right or you can potentially face civil litigation. Like it or not, that's the world we live in... many people are looking for ways to line their pockets. I'm all for dealing with abusers and protecting those that are abused... Unfortunately, perception seems to have more weight then actual facts in this day and age. Nobody wants to wait for the full story...

Look, I just think it is asinine for the Feds to regulate dog fighting, but at the same time, Vick avoided a RICO charge, which is massive whammy that the Feds could have easily dropped on him and that puts you in a totally different ballpark under the Federal Sentencing Guidelines. Vick had the best counsel money could buy. He could have gone to trial and he would have been assured of having black representation on the jury. It just takes one not-guilty on that 12 person federal jury and you're off the hook. The problem is the Feds ain't bringing that case unless they are 99% confident they will get a conviction and if you try a case rather than taking a plea, you're fucked if you lose. Doesn't matter what color you are.

Decent synopsis but doesn't change how it's seen by the race not in power.

Any chance Wadleys mom will do an interview?

Why his Mother? Wadley needs to be interviewed and be asked about all the inconsistencies with his statement. Akrum has alot of explaining to do IMO. Sports Illustrated did article on this and his comment on the Pinstripe Bowl didn't match what KF said. That's just one example.

I think I also remember something on Wadley's family wanted his Brother to come to Iowa or they tried to get him to Iowa.

Akrum's stance on Iowa right now don't add up for me!

I'm struggling with Wadley's story, maybe because I'm partial to KF but I'm not 100%. I'm sure there are some truths to his stories, just like I'm sure there are some truths to DJK's stories but I'm getting the impression that these 2 just want to burn down the program. All the rest of them seemed reasonable and I'm glad they spoke up so Iowa can make changes and move forward. If you talk to enough former football players you are eventually going to come across someone who has hate and spite for the program, black or white, that will make the types of statements wishing they would have never came to Iowa. We can't expect each and every single kid that goes to Iowa have a positive experience, I'm sure there are many that walked away angry because of various reasons (playing time, disagreements with coaches, ect).

But I will say this about KF, this all happened under his watch and for that he should be held accountable but I'm not so sure I'd go as far to demand he gets fired. I feel deep down KF is a good person, I don't know him personally but this is the impression I get and I think he will embrace the changes and become a better person.

I'm getting the impression the Wadley's are trying to get a pay day out of the university, maybe working to get a settle out of court (hush) payment. Why did he stick around for 4 years. He sure looks content holding that trophy. He got a lot of PT and accolades is last two seasons. Yes, they were on him to gain weight and it was uncomfortable for him to drink all the Gatorade and energy drinks, but any Div I program would have him try to gain weight and push him. Now we'll see if the investigation shows anything else but to me right now it looks like his mom is just butt-hurt he didn't get his pay day in the NFL and now trying to fleece the U after this Floyd blow up and now taking advantage of questionable bullying in the football program.

The mother's trying to get paid and using Akrum as a puppet, IMO.

Last edited:

People getting off for rape or other disgusting charges is completely irrelevant to Vick's sentencing.

I strongly believe an 18 month sentence was justified and fair for running a large, illegal dog fighting ring where countless dogs were tortured and murdered.

I'm getting the impression the Wadley's are trying to get a pay day out of the university, maybe working to get a settle out of court payment. Why did he stick around for 4 years. He sure looks content holding that trophy. He got a lot of PT and accolades is last two seasons. Yes, they were on him to gain weight and it was uncomfortable for him to drink all the Gatorade and energy drinks, but any Div I program would have him try to gain weight and push him. Now we'll see if the investigation shows anything else but to me right now it looks like his mom is just butt-hurt he didn't get his pay day in the NFL and now trying to fleece the U after this Floyd blow up and now taking advantage of questionable bullying in the football program.

The mother's trying to get paid and using Akrum as a puppet, IMO.

My feelings exactly. There were no indications he was unhappy over the 4 years he was here. He got a lot of playing time his junior and senior seasons. Wanting a player to gain or lose weight is called sports. It happens all of the time in football and wrestling in particular. I think the Wadley's will have a difficult time proving their case when everything from the past contradicts what they're saying now.

I agree with everything you said accept for the choosing of which part of a story should and should not be published. That's where my contention is... If there's more to the story to be published then it needs to be a part of it... if available. Cherry picking headlines and stories pushes an angle that may or may not be true. It's that simple. You mentioned on the podcast about the various layers there are to AK's story (and I agree there are), but discrediting someone works on both sides of the aisle. AK made it available...

In my line of work, you better have it right or you can potentially face civil litigation. Like it or not, that's the world we live in... many people are looking for ways to line their pockets. I'm all for dealing with abusers and protecting those that are abused... Unfortunately, perception seems to have more weight then actual facts in this day and age. Nobody wants to wait for the full story...

Back to the Wadley's or whatever his mother's last name is.

My feelings exactly. There were no indications he was unhappy over the 4 years he was here. He got a lot of playing time his junior and senior seasons. Wanting a player to gain or lose weight is called sports. It happens all of the time in football and wrestling in particular. I think the Wadley's will have a difficult time proving their case when everything from the past contradicts what they're saying now.

Isn't it damn obvious. Geeeeezus!!

Last edited:

And if true, the real damning info that could go against them if is they actually lobbied the U to offer his younger brother. If he was that miserable and if there were actual racist issues, they would have ran the other way, UNLESS they need a pay day route for the younger brother.

Stories develop over time. More information comes out over time. I don't remember a time when media waited until the story was completed before reporting it. And sometimes, as is the case here, there's he-said, he said. You report both sides of what is being said.

People getting off for rape or other disgusting charges is completely irrelevant to Vick's sentencing.

I strongly believe an 18 month sentence was justified and fair for running a large, illegal dog fighting ring where countless dogs were tortured and murdered.

Your opinion is as good as any and I don't disagree.doesnt mean the minority sees it that way.

Why his Mother? Wadley needs to be interviewed and be asked about all the inconsistencies with his statement. Akrum has alot of explaining to do IMO. Sports Illustrated did article on this and his comment on the Pinstripe Bowl didn't match what KF said. That's just one example.

I think I also remember something on Wadley's family wanted his Brother to come to Iowa or they tried to get him to Iowa.

Akrum's stance on Iowa right now don't add up for me!
She's been blasting stuff out there a lot and doesn't seem to have a problem speaking for him. Since he doesn't want to himself maybe she will... I dunno I'm with you he and her both have put out lots of recent tweets directly contradicting how they seem to feel now. It'd be nice to hear them clarify and explain some more.

Latest posts