So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

He is a good player but we need better players. we need Cook to be coming off the bench to spell kids . We need Cook to be our best 6th -8th player . Not the best . He is our best player and that’s why we are 0-5 .
If Cook was our 6th to 8th man we’d be a top 10 team in the country which would be nice.

Probably higher. I would guess Duke and Kentucky have better 8 men than Cook.
Actually Kentucky is playing Cal’s son tonight because they don’t have a lot of depth. The only teams in the country I can think of that Cook would be the 6th best player are Michigan State and Duke.

I see a lot of this discussion circling back to not having a good point guard who can allow other players to perform in a role they are best suited to play.

The puzzle remains why Fran cannot recruit a PG. Tom Kakert makes a couple interesting points about this in a recent podcast. With the time Fran spent in the East you would think he would have been able to draw a PG from that region which is usually bountiful with talent. The other point he makes is some PG candidates likely look at the opportunity at Iowa and see a coach's son as the competition and wonder what kind of challenge that might present.

You clearly miss my take.
I don’t agree that just because Lick had MAC level players that all of the sudden Iowa is a MAC level school. You are saying that Lick permanently lowered your expectations. I disagree.

Yes Iowa isn’t Duke or Kansas or Kentucky, but there is no reason they can’t be 2nd tier. They did an AP poll history a couple years ago and Iowa was #23. No reason to think that shouldn’t be the norm more often than not.

You admit that Fran is Iowa average. I think I am giving him credit for rebuild, because the more I think about it, the more he becomes below average. But I guess that’s ok because he’s better than Lick.

Lick didn't permanently lower my expectations. I just blame the first 2 years on Lick. I think the last 6 years, Fran has been average. The difference between you and I is I judge Fran on 6 years. You judge him on 8. If he's here for 16 years, the first 2 years will be such a small portion of his tenure that they won't factor in as much as they do now. Right now, they are 25% of his time here.

Lick didn't permanently lower my expectations. I just blame the first 2 years on Lick. I think the last 6 years, Fran has been average. The difference between you and I is I judge Fran on 6 years. You judge him on 8. If he's here for 16 years, the first 2 years will be such a small portion of his tenure that they won't factor in as much as they do now. Right now, they are 25% of his time here.
If only there was a letter grade we could assign to average........ nah. New schools, I think he gets a purple.

I actually am giving him a pass on the first two years, and since has been average, although this year is trending towards disaster. We agree that he is average, but one of us just knows how grades work.

If only there was a letter grade we could assign to average........ nah. New schools, I think he gets a purple.

I actually am giving him a pass on the first two years, and since has been average, although this year is trending towards disaster. We agree that he is average, but one of us just knows how grades work.

He's done a better than average job to make us average. Do you really not get that?

He's done a better than average job to make us average. Do you really not get that?
So you always hold him to the Lick standard. Got it. 20 years of average is ok as long as he got it back to average.

Good coaches don’t stop at average. You know who does? Average coaches. Sadly Fran peaked at average and has now regressed to bad again.

So since you say you give him a pass for the first 2 years, I assume you aren't one of the people on here who say "he's been to 3 NCAA tournaments in 8 years"? Because if you hold all 8 years against him, you aren't giving him a pass on the first 2 years?

So since you say you give him a pass for the first 2 years, I assume you aren't one of the people on here who say "he's been to 3 NCAA tournaments in 8 years"? Because if you hold all 8 years against him, you aren't giving him a pass on the first 2 years?
Nope. Really 2 in 6 but still. As the 23rd best program historically, they should be in 75% of the time and in the discussion most years.

Frans best season is the football equivalent to being 8-4 and going to the Alamo Bowl.

So you always hold him to the Lick standard. Got it. 20 years of average is ok as long as he got it back to average.

Good coaches don’t stop at average. You know who does? Average coaches. Sadly Fran peaked at average and has now regressed to bad again.

Not always. But demanding the "next level" the minute after you just jumped 3 levels is a bad look. It gives the impression that you will never be pleased.

Not always. But demanding the "next level" the minute after you just jumped 3 levels is a bad look. It gives the impression that you will never be pleased.
Umm. It’s year 8 and his team looks like they don’t know what sport they are playing half the time.

Or it gives the impression that you hold people accountable and being content with average is a losing mentality

Nope. Really 2 in 6 but still. As the 23rd best program historically, they should be in 75% of the time and in the discussion most years.

Frans best season is the football equivalent to being 8-4 and going to the Alamo Bowl.

This is an honest question because I really don't know. Are top 25 programs really in the NCAA tournament 75% of the time? And just for the record, they have been in the discussion the last 5 years before this one. That is every year since the 2 years you give him as a pass.

Also if you aren't going to count the play in games as getting in, that means it's harder to make the tournament now than it used to be. Because for all we will ever know, we would have been one of the teams that still got in if there were no play in games. You are eliminating the bottom at large bids that would have made the field of 64 by not counting those games.

Or it gives the impression that you hold people accountable and being content with average is a losing mentality

So just fire coaches one after another to get to the elusive "next level" that every other program in the country wants to be at? There would be 50 power 5 coaches fired every year with that mindset.

Umm. It’s year 8 and his team looks like they don’t know what sport they are playing half the time.

Yea it's called a down year. Every program has them. If they continue to look like this the rest of the year, then the down year is too down to be acceptable.

Oh wait, down years can't happen in year 8. Year 7 or 9 is ok for a down year. But not in year frickin 8.

So just fire coaches one after another to get to the elusive "next level" that every other program in the country wants to be at? There would be 50 power 5 coaches fired every year with that mindset.
What should be the average tenure of an average coach? 20 years?

Oh wait, down years can't happen in year 8. Year 7 or 9 is ok for a down year. But not in year frickin 8.
Last year was the “rebuilding” year. It made sense very young team and Jok. This year should have been a step up or at least sideways but instead it has been 3 steps back.

Latest posts