So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

Cuonzo Martin?? Seriously? That’s your idea of excellence. He’s been coaching at P5 schools for the last 6 years and only made the dance twice. He did make a sweet 16, which coincidentally is the year they squeaked by Iowa in the play in game and had a really easy second round game.

The guy can recruit talent but he’s not exactly had a ton of success, not to mention most people think he’s a slime ball and he’s never stuck with a school for more than 3 years.
I didn't say he was my "idea of excellence". I simply used him as an example of a HC that took over a program similar to Iowa and showed his recruiting and Win/Loss results. The book is out on how successful he will be in the future but his immediate results kick the shit out of "it takes 2 years" excuse. That's flat out wrong.

No it wasn't. Everyone that knows anything about recruiting, etc, knows that Brad Stevens was the motor behind Butler. Stevens is now coaching in the NBA and Lickliter is coaching.....high school? Middle school? Why do you think no other D-1 programs hired the man as a HC after we fired him? There's a damn good reason. Lickliter had a great staff at Butler and when he came to Iowa, 80% of the best coaches on that staff didn't come with him (LaVall Jordan being the notable exception).
I think he is a scout for the Celtics. Lickliter was in over his head at Iowa, but the guy does know basketball.

I didn't say he was my "idea of excellence". I simply used him as an example of a HC that took over a program similar to Iowa and showed his recruiting and Win/Loss results. The book is out on how successful he will be in the future but his immediate results kick the shit out of "it takes 2 years" excuse. That's flat out wrong.

It's not about "it takes two years". It's about how much the deck is stacked against you. It's like you think as long as you're a good coach, it makes no difference if you took over the team Davis took over, or the team Fran took over.

It's not about "it takes two years". It's about how much the deck is stacked against you. It's like you think as long as you're a good coach, it makes no difference if you took over the team Davis took over, or the team Fran took over.
The deck was stacked against martin @ Mizzou. No? You saw the previous 3 season records I posted.

The deck was stacked against martin @ Mizzou. No? You saw the previous 3 season records I posted.

Yes it was. So you're the kind of guy who assumes it's the standard because you can find an example? I don't know enough about his situation to talk on it. Maybe there was great instate talent his first year. Maybe he fell into a transfer like our football team did with Butler. I don't know. All I know is its a lot more rare to dig out of the basement in less than two years than it is to take longer.

How much credit do you give Davis for his first 2 years? Do you think it's coincidence that his best years were with someone else's players? You seriously don't think the condition of a program matters at all when a new coach takes over?

I see. Yes Cuonzo is a better recruiter than Fran. In the world of instant gratification I guess he could be your guy. I think most would like to look for a coach that can bring stability and an upward trajectory, and really build a program. I’m not saying Fran is that guy persay either.

I do see your point about great recruiters being able to turn programs quicker.

How much credit do you give Davis for his first 2 years? Do you think it's coincidence that his best years were with someone else's players? You seriously don't think the condition of a program matters at all when a new coach takes over?
ZERO. The 3 years prior to Davis taking over: 13-15, 21-11 and 20-12 with 2 consecutive NCAA appearances. Not the same situation as Martin/McCaffery.

And what D-1 offers followed that accomplishment? Did you happen to notice that Brad Stevens took Butler to 2 National Championship games? But what are NC games compared to Sweet 16s? in 6 seasons as Butler HC, Lick won 3 conference titles. Brad Stevens won 4 in 6 seasons. Lick took Butler to 2 NCAA tournaments. Brad Stevens took them to 4. Brad Stevens is the HC of the Boston Celtics. Todd Lickliter is the HC of Marian (IN).
Sorry. If you can't admit that Brad Stevens was the success behind Lickliter's Butler teams..there isn't any more reason to talk basketball with you/
So you are not going to give Lick any credit for building up a program that Stevens inherited? Who is to say that Lick wouldn’t have taken them to a title game. You for the head coach not the assistant . Was Stevens on the Marian staff when he had success? I’m not discounting Stevens . Cmon you are smarter than this. Give him some credit . Who do you blame for the 0-5 start? Sherman Dillard? Andrew Francis?

ZERO. The 3 years prior to Davis taking over: 13-15, 21-11 and 20-12 with 2 consecutive NCAA appearances. Not the same situation as Martin/McCaffery.
Starting in year 4 when it was HIS team only Tom Davis finished in the top five in the big ten 7 times and won 7 touney games in his last 10 seasons. He kept us relevant in the national landscape

So you are not going to give Lick any credit for building up a program that Stevens inherited? Who is to say that Lick wouldn’t have taken them to a title game. You for the head coach not the assistant . Was Stevens on the Marian staff when he had success? I’m not discounting Stevens . Cmon you are smarter than this. Give him some credit . Who do you blame for the 0-5 start? Sherman Dillard? Andrew Francis?
Not when I look at the career trajectories of the 2.

Starting in year 4 when it was HIS team only Tom Davis finished in the top five in the big ten 7 times and won 7 touney games in his last 10 seasons. He kept us relevant in the national landscape
He won 6 tourney games in his first 3 years, with Raveling's recruits. Hmm. 6 tourney wins in 3 years or 7 tourney wins in 10 years. Which looks better to you? Never mind.

Not when I look at the career trajectories of the 2.
So your the GM who doesn’t hire Belichick because you put too much stock in results and uncontrollable variables based on his body of work with the browns and not realizing the guy is a fucking genius. Your that guy. Here is a homework assignment for your pea sized brain . Look up and compare the two winning percentages of all time between Lick and Fran and then leave the state and don’t tell anyone you are from Iowa

He won 6 tourney games in his first 3 years, with Raveling's recruits. Hmm. 6 tourney wins in 3 years or 7 tourney wins in 10 years. Which looks better to you? Never mind.
Listen idiot the poster didn’t want anyone counting Davis first seasons and give him credit because of the Raveling recruits . You are a child

You know what looks even better ? 13 wins in 13 seasons . He did it by having some guys who could actually shoot a jump shot . Your a Fran lover and we should all bow to your knowledge . You heard every word of that Gatens conversation in Bartas office didn’t you? Yeah you did. You were under his desk.

Or how about the team Lick took over?

Latest posts