So let's look at McCaffrey' recruiting

Listen idiot the poster didn’t want anyone counting Davis first seasons and give him credit because of the Raveling recruits . You are a child
Lol. He deserves what he put together. Which was a .500 conference record after raveling's recruits departed. If you want to crown the many, go ahead.

You know what looks even better ? 13 wins in 13 seasons . He did it by having some guys who could actually shoot a jump shot . Your a Fran lover and we should all bow to your knowledge . You heard every word of that Gatens conversation in Bartas office didn’t you? Yeah you did. You were under his desk.
I want Fran FIRED! And I have wanted it since 2015. You're not the brightest bulb.

So your the GM who doesn’t hire Belichick because you put too much stock in results and uncontrollable variables based on his body of work with the browns and not realizing the guy is a fucking genius. Your that guy. Here is a homework assignment for your pea sized brain . Look up and compare the two winning percentages of all time between Lick and Fran and then leave the state and don’t tell anyone you are from Iowa
Says the idiot that thinks Lickliter "cleaned house" by running off his own recruits that were starting games for him. Keep preaching. The rest of us enjoy it.

Says the idiot that thinks Lickliter "cleaned house" by running off his own recruits that were starting games for him. Keep preaching. The rest of us enjoy it.
Did you see Lick’s facial expressions when he coached or were you too busy going down on Brad Stevens ? Damn right he ran them off . His face was like what the F was I thinking bringing in this drunk? And for gods sake if you are going to go down on somebody can they at least have won a championship? By the way You can’t count the 3 Horizon league titles because you know who also won 3? You guessed it smarty pants. Todd Lick

ZERO. The 3 years prior to Davis taking over: 13-15, 21-11 and 20-12 with 2 consecutive NCAA appearances. Not the same situation as Martin/McCaffery.

So you don't give credit to Davis because it matters what kind of team he inherited, but you give "credit" to Fran because it doesn't matter what kind of team he inherited? It shouldn't work both ways in your mind. At least I'm consistent with my thought. I take into account what team both inherited. Not just one of them.

So you don't give credit to Davis because it matters what kind of team he inherited, but you give "credit" to Fran because it doesn't matter what kind of team he inherited? It shouldn't work both ways in your mind. At least I'm consistent with my thought. I take into account what team both inherited. Not just one of them.

Gotta agree. It absolutely matters what you inherit from the previous regime, for better or worse. Davis inherited a team that was absolutely loaded. Fran, polar opposite. The real question is what that coach is producing 3-5+ years after they're hired. That's the only way I can think to look at it.

Also, what was the program's reputation when you were brought in? Davis and Alford had it better in that regard, following more successful stretches of basketball, so it had to be a bit easier to recruit. By the time Lick and Fran were brought in, not so much.

And it's not like Fran took forever to get us back. Be got into the NIT in year 2 which seemed like a miracle at the time. In year 3 we barely missed the tourney, and we probably get in if we don't get screwed bad against MSU. His first year was really bad, but throwing out previous records doesn't even do justice for how bad roster was.

Fran brought us out of the abyss. We have hope and excitement again (only to have it crash and burn this year). Cut him a little slack as we have done well, even in BIG, in last half-decade. Let's see if we can get a JUCO guard and re-boot nex
He took a program that was bottomed out - flat out one of the worst P5 programs in the country and made average to mediocre. You can't do that without having better then C recruiting... it's not that difficult to comprehend even for you 56...but I will say, earlier I gave it a B...and would be closer to a C+ now after reading some of the comments. I also think you're going to see players leave this year. Multiple. BE is one, not sure who the other. My question now is, what are we doing in preparation? Who is out there that we are looking at Juco or HS for immediate PG help?
You are correct.Looks bad today but will get better.Improvement not so hard .NEXT year.This year almost half over.But Fight.Show it in. 50/50 fights.

I think a lot of fans are with you in the below that Fran isn’t the guy to get us any higher. I’m not inclined to convince anyone otherwise.

I think those that still have hope in Fran really feel recruiting has picked up with Cook, Garza & Nunge, Weiskamp, and some of the others we are in on going forward. Now as we all know we will need to find better guards.

I’m somewhere in the middle. If we moved on from Fran I wouldn’t be upset, because at the very least it sends the message that we demand better. If he does stay around I will hope for an amazing turnaround next year and to start landing some better guards. Only time will tell.

I'm with you. I'm by no means calling for Fran to be fired, but if we only win 2-3 conference games this year he should definitely enter next season on the hot seat. If there's not pretty substantial progress shown next year, and we still no show semblance of defense, strike out on Carton and other top level PG's, I think it would be safe to say Fran isn't our guy.
9 years and 2 real tournament berths and 1 sort of tournament berth (a non tournament berth if we're comparing to any other former Iowa coaches). That's unacceptable.

I'm with you. I'm by no means calling for Fran to be fired, but if we only win 2-3 conference games this year he should definitely enter next season on the hot seat. If there's not pretty substantial progress shown next year, and we still no show semblance of defense, strike out on Carton and other top level PG's, I think it would be safe to say Fran isn't our guy.
9 years and 2 real tournament berths and 1 sort of tournament berth (a non tournament berth if we're comparing to any other former Iowa coaches). That's unacceptable.
Again Suggest Listen to doc and Marc's podcast.Yes I do not know if Fran and Staff can get us to next Level.But team can start TONITE fighting no? Great team to pound huh? Yo pray for surf yes?

Not at all. Davis didn't need to bring in immediate starters, he already had them and he proved that he wasn't capable of recruiting better players anyway.
Davis didn't walk into a disaster. Fran did. Or aren't you old enough to remember the difference?

I think he is going to be fired next year. I don't see them improving enough to make the tournament. They would have to improve by leaps and bounds. This is a down year in the Big 10 and they haven't won a game yet.

Fair enough.

I don’t really care to get in a big debate on it, but how do we know that Iowa would not have made a field of 64 that year? Normally in the 64 team field there are four 11 seeds. So they added play in games which added an additional 11 seed. Why are we convinced that we were the lowest 11 seed? Did the tournament commitee come out and explicitly say we were one of that last four in that year? Maybe they did and I missed it. How are we sure that in a 64 team field it wouldn’t have been Tennessee that was left out instead of us? Just questions for an inquiring mind.

Fair enough.

I don’t really care to get in a big debate on it, but how do we know that Iowa would not have made a field of 64 that year? Normally in the 64 team field there are four 11 seeds. So they added play in games which added an additional 11 seed. Why are we convinced that we were the lowest 11 seed? Did the tournament commitee come out and explicitly say we were one of that last four in that year? Maybe they did and I missed it. How are we sure that in a 64 team field it wouldn’t have been Tennessee that was left out instead of us? Just questions for an inquiring mind.

Not all play in games are for bubble teams. Don't 4 bubble teams do play in games? That means 2 would have made it previous years and 2 wouldn't have. If you don't count play in games, that means it's harder to make the tourney now.

Not at all. Davis didn't need to bring in immediate starters, he already had them and he proved that he wasn't capable of recruiting better players anyway.
Davis didn't walk into a disaster. Fran did. Or aren't you old enough to remember the difference?

Lol you don't even understand the corner you're backing yourself in.

If you believe inheriting a good team gives you an advantage, how can you not believe inheriting a bad team gives you a disadvantage?

Fair enough.

I'm fairly certain we would have been left out and that the 'home team' was the higher seed in the committees mind. Could be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that.

Lol you don't even understand the corner you're backing yourself in.
Lol......you're too stupid to recognize the different situations between what Davis walked into and what Fran walked into. Best keep that secret to yourself. You don't want to look any dumber in this.

Latest posts