Should the Cy-Hawk football rivalry continue?

I'd enjoy seeing the whole OOC schedule upgraded. If all I can get is trading Iowa State for a real football school I'm good with that.

Yes. It would suck if it went away. It's a rivalry now after being one-sided for a long stretch. It's great for the state.

I guess I am on the other end of this.......It wouldn't break my heart if the series went away and I loved the long stretch where Iowa dominated. The series being competitive means nothing to me other than KF's 8-9 record against ISU is one of the few blemishes on his Iowa resume.

If we stopped the series, ISU would accuse us of being scared to play them. I'd rather lose to them than be accused of that.

Really? Unless you live in central Iowa and interact with their fan base on a regular basis that would mean nothing to me.

As an Iowa State fan I've long wanted to drop the series - brings out the worst in everybody, and Iowa State needs to schedule as many automatic wins as possible. I want the Baylor schedule from the last few years.

1st order of business...get rid of the damn FCS teams...no UNI, No IllSt, no NDSU. THEN...dump the clones. As much as they suck, at least they're a power 5 conference team

I like the game environment that it brings, but that's it. Don't see why we can't play every two to three years, the build up and hatred would be just as strong if we played every 2-3 years.

Just the fact that Iowa won't schedule any other P5 teams with ISU and 9 game conf schedule makes me want to drop the series.

Being stuck with ISU as the only P5 OOC game for the next 10 years WILL SUCK. If Iowa's goals are to compete for playoff berths ISU needs to go. Of course Iowa has to be competitive other than once every 5 years.

Iowa needs to keep Iowa St on the schedule every year, and bite the bullet and only have 6 home games once every 2 years so that it can schedule another P5 team OOC every year. Iowa only needs 1 game against a MAC level or G5 school each year.

Soon scheduling FCS schools will not be allowed. The idea was that the 9th conference game was supposed to replace the FCS game, not replace the 2nd P5 OOC game. Iowa needs to continue to schedule 2 P5 schools OOC each year as has typically done for as long as I can remember.

This again... Paint the water tower!

Seriously tho, the series has never had any benefit to Iowa. People say it is money, but we could add anyone, pay them less and make more money.
The term rivalry with a school that finishes so poorly year after year is embarrassing. Give me Wisconsin or Nebraska. But a 3-9 ISU, um no. It does not do the Hawkeyes any good whatsoever. If there is a benefit to playing them, please enlighten me.

What will determine the fate of the series is if (when?) the B12 dissolves. We could then rotate ISU & UNI (FCS schools will come back on the schedule once the TV contracts are written) every few years.

Everyone can sit here and say get rid of it, but fact is it isn't going anywhere. Just enjoy it. If you don't like it then don't watch that game but we know you will and you will be more up for it that if they were playing Miami of Ohio. There are 2 other games on the non-con schedule that could be changed if they desired long into the future since schedules are done that far out. They could schedule with K State or Missouri to play in KC for a 2 game series. But that won't happen now but they could if they desired. We hear it over and over and that is Iowa is a Developmental program and we need those first few games to get ready for the Big Ten and build confidence. Playing Iowa State did not hurt Iowa one bit last year and I will also say that game in Ames was great prep for CJ Beathard for what he would face in Madison in terms of the crowd and noise. Ames was louder than Madison for crying out loud.

I say keep it. The ISU Athletic Dept needs the extra licensing money from all the "Beat Iowa" shirt sold at Wal-Mart. Since that amounts for roughly 78% of all apparel licensing revenue for ISU (trust me, I know numbers), I'd feel bad for them if they couldn't sell those anymore.

How about we keep it but with a change. We play isu for 4 years, then take 2 years off. Giving each team a chance to schedule a home/home with another opponent.

So 4 years on, 2 years off, 4 years on, etc.

Everyone can sit here and say get rid of it, but fact is it isn't going anywhere. Just enjoy it. If you don't like it then don't watch that game but we know you will and you will be more up for it that if they were playing Miami of Ohio. There are 2 other games on the non-con schedule that could be changed if they desired long into the future since schedules are done that far out. They could schedule with K State or Missouri to play in KC for a 2 game series. But that won't happen now but they could if they desired. We hear it over and over and that is Iowa is a Developmental program and we need those first few games to get ready for the Big Ten and build confidence. Playing Iowa State did not hurt Iowa one bit last year and I will also say that game in Ames was great prep for CJ Beathard for what he would face in Madison in terms of the crowd and noise. Ames was louder than Madison for crying out loud.

Actually you are wrong. Iowa struggled in that game. Experts knew it. Led to more negative publicity. When it will hurt a lot is if Iowa goes undefeated again and don't demolish them and have more sound wins. It went away before, it can happen again.

No one cares about it outside Iowa. As a long time fan, I got more pleasure out of beating Pitt last year than struggling against ISU. ISU is like a pesky fly to Iowa that sometimes bites. No real point. Schedule OK, a decent SEC team, or USC/UCLA and it will be much more interesting.

Actually you are wrong. Iowa struggled in that game. Experts knew it. Led to more negative publicity. When it will hurt a lot is if Iowa goes undefeated again and don't demolish them and have more sound wins. It went away before, it can happen again.

No one cares about it outside Iowa. As a long time fan, I got more pleasure out of beating Pitt last year than struggling against ISU. ISU is like a pesky fly to Iowa that sometimes bites. No real point. Schedule OK, a decent SEC team, or USC/UCLA and it will be much more interesting.

If you think any pacific time zone game will be scheduled while Kirk or Gary barta are still around you are delusional. We aren't setting foot in that time zone again short of a bowl game.

And enjoy the ISU game for the next decade or two because it will remain.

Would be foolish not to continue. It is a huge money maker for both schools when in their respective city

It seems to me that I remember this angle being talked about a few years ago. If I am remembering correctly, isu makes out like a bandit on this and Iowa doesn't do much more than break even. So financially speaking, this is a loss for Iowa. Of course like you say, the home city benefits from this game greatly. The sheer amount of people that show up who don't have tickets for the game is crazy.

Last edited:
One other truth here. Iowa is almost never going to make it into a 4 team field with 1 loss no matter who we play. Imagine this we go undefeated this year but lose to say Michigan or we lose in the Big Ten title game. We make it into the 4 team field? Not likely. 8 team field yes but 4 team field no. So we have no real margin for error because we are who we are. And if we have 2 losses there is 0 chance we make it in a 4 team field. So many of you state should drop ISU and play a harder team which obviously increases odds of a lesser record. Oh but maybe we will beat a harder team more frequently than we beat ISU??? We gonna travel down to Georgia and whip them in their home stadium? Until the playoff field is expanded to 8 or 16 we need to do what we have been doing. We have a narrow path to get there.

It seems to me that I remember this angle being talked about a few years ago. If I am remembering correctly, isu makes out like a bandit on this and Iowa doesn't do much more than break even. So financially speaking, this is a loss for Iowa. Of course like you say, the home city benefits from this game greatly. The sheer amount of people that show up who don't have tickets for the game is crazy.

If you think any pacific time zone game will be scheduled while Kirk or Gary barta are still around you are delusional. We aren't setting foot in that time zone again short of a bowl game.

And enjoy the ISU game for the next decade or two because it will remain.

Scheduling would help to "get over it". That game v AZ State was a late game delayed even further. I'd rather lose in the west than struggle against ISU or get bit by them. Iowa State just doesn't help. Get over it.

It won't go away, but it should. Here is a prime example as to why: 2010...Iowa wins 35-7 and goes DOWN in the rankings. That's right, beating a supposed P5 team by that much and you drop a spot in the rankings. Unfortunately it hurts us because they are typically so bad and have no respect throughout the country. Would love to play other P5 teams that would not destroy our strength of schedule.

Latest posts