Should the Cy-Hawk football rivalry continue?

Golden

Seems like the football landscape is changing daily with conferences, schedules and the like. Is it time to scrub the Cy-Hawk game? Weigh in on your take.....

I have added my two cents worth to this discussion before and will do it again. I dont think the hawks get much out of this game and could get more playing home and home games with SEC, ACC, and other Power 5 teams. If the hawks lose to a poor ISU team which Iowa tends to do too much it really hurts power rankings and if the hawks beat a poor ISU team it doesnt really help or mean much. ISU fields a pretty good team once every 10-15 years so it is a lose-lose situation for Iowa.

I as a fan would be much more excited to see us play other strong teams at Kinnick and on the road. I can still remember the first time in the 1960s-70s I saw Penn St, USC, UCLA, Syracuse, Oregon St and other teams in Kinnick. It was very cool even if Iowa was outmanned most of the time back then. Then when Fry and the Hawks started beating these teams in the early 80's it was a sign of the turnaround.

And a better OOC schedule I think leads to more exposure and better recruiting.

I vote no. I hate the game. It gives Iowa nothing. It gives ISU everything they want/need (exposure, motivation, hope, etc.). It's a trap game for Iowa, like anytime a school plays it's little brother. I don't care who replaces them, just get them the hell off the schedule.

Yes. It would suck if it went away. It's a rivalry now after being one-sided for a long stretch. It's great for the state.

Agree 100%. Great game to attend at both sites. Both sides very into it. Loud games in Ames a great prep for Big Ten schedule.

I vote no. I hate the game. It gives Iowa nothing. It gives ISU everything they want/need (exposure, motivation, hope, etc.). It's a trap game for Iowa, like anytime a school plays it's little brother. I don't care who replaces them, just get them the hell off the schedule.

Run away! They might beat us. Did you run away from confrontation from your little brother?

Run away! They might beat us. Did you run away from confrontation from your little brother?

If they were good, I say play them. They're not, so I say no. Has nothing to do with losing, etc. It has to do with gaining nothing from the game.

I don't see the point. They are not good at all. However, there is some advantage to ISU playing Iowa early in the season before injuries decimate them. A weak team can often put together a decent team at 3/4 of the position, bt not a full team and for sure not deep. They also care more about it (I blame KF mostly).

However, going back to the 70s with tough schedules, those were losing teams, but oh beating PSU and UCLA (I think) and having Nebby down...such fun. I seem to remember an article about Evy as AD tried to make himself the last winning coach with the scheduling he set up (tough teams). Probably not true, but I do remember the discussion.

If we stopped the series, ISU would accuse us of being scared to play them. I'd rather lose to them than be accused of that.

Drop it, drop it now....nothing to gain, no one cares outside of the state. Play ND again.....that was a rivalry until the late 60s', play Mizzou....that would be a good rivalry. Get a perennial Top 10 program on the schedule. We beat Moo U. well we were supposed to, lose we listen to their obnoxious fans all year.

I couldn't care less about the cy-Hawk series overall but I'd like to keep the football game. I only wish Kirk would eat some raw meat and decide to put a hurting on them the way Hayden Fry did.

Reactions: trj
Keep it, but only under the condition they're in a P5 conference; which may not be the case in the not too distance future.

I'm in the keep it camp although I wouldn't be 100% opposed to it becoming an every other year game or a play 2 years and skip the third year sort of format. Exposure and money is really what this discussion is all about right? By trying to play at least 7 home games a year to maximize revenue, Iowa State seems to occupy the spot that would be reserved for a power 5 home and home series. However, with the new and highly lucrative Big 10 TV contract, maybe Iowa can start scheduling another Power 5 home and home series and having that 7th home game won't be an absolute necessity every year. That way, you can keep a good in state rivalry game AND have another out of conference game of interest most every year.

I've reached the conclusion that it should not be an annual game. ISU should rotate on to the schedule occasionally, no differently than what Iowa has done with Pitt or Syracuse. Here is my reasoning. The season is twelve games with nine games being within the conference starting in 2016. If ISU is an annual opponent that limits the schedule to two open dates each year. The AD's scheduling options are reduced. You can end up with a home schedule that is not attractive for ticket sales.

I have read where there is some interest in playing some Big Ten games during the second and third weekends of the season. In that case I do not want to play ISU before a conference game or after a conference game. Conference games are far too important to be impacted by an opponent that possibly had an open date or FCS game.

Reactions: trj
If they were good, I say play them. They're not, so I say no. Has nothing to do with losing, etc. It has to do with gaining nothing from the game.

So why not eliminate the other 2 non-interesting games first, for example Miami of Ohio and North Dakota State this year? You have to admit you get more up for an Iowa / Iowa State game that garbage games like those other two and I would say the same for Iowa v Purdue but they are in the Big Ten so no tossing them overboard.

I couldn't care less about the cy-Hawk series overall but I'd like to keep the football game. I only wish Kirk would eat some raw meat and decide to put a hurting on them the way Hayden Fry did.

That's right when given the opportunity bury them and this year should be an opportunity to do that! That's why I loved the long fake field goal before the half last year. That would have been a n*t punch to Rhodes if converted and as we found out at the NFL Combine our PK had some wheels! Even though not successful it had to leave Rhodes wondering what in the heck is that Kirk over there calling that?!?!?!?!

Drop it, drop it now....nothing to gain, no one cares outside of the state. Play ND again.....that was a rivalry until the late 60s', play Mizzou....that would be a good rivalry. Get a perennial Top 10 program on the schedule. We beat Moo U. well we were supposed to, lose we listen to their obnoxious fans all year.

No way is ND signing up with Iowa as they can pretty much have their pick and this isn't the 1940s. And Mizzou backed out of playing Iowa not that long ago.

Yes, keep the series. It is an exciting matchup that is a big money maker for both schools. Message board dorks like to say they have no excitement for it, but clearly the general populace enjoys it.

For those who want to drop it for other P5 games, the games we end up with are no more interesting than ISU. Pitt/Ariz/Syracuse are less enticing to the fanbase than ISU games. At least ISU games sellout.

I would be interested in moving the series to 2 out of 4 years.

While I agree it's kind of a no win situation for Iowa, it has become a fun, nail biting series. It's good for the state and it is certainly good for ISU. I know no one cares outside the state of Iowa, but for 1 week EVERYBODY in Iowa cares about the same game.

Latest posts