Should the Cy-Hawk football rivalry continue?

Thanks for posting this because I was thinking along the same lines as what does this good for the state actually mean. IMO we should trash this trivial game and help ourselves out and play someone that will indeed help us with the who have we played lately thing. The clowns would sink into the abyss without us but who in the heck gives a poop about the clowns! Maybe the goofers would like to pick them up!
Yeah cause to me when people say it's better for the state that's being said by the local media right? Because the only tangible beneficiary from it is ISU every other year getting a no doubt a bout it sell out where they can price gouge Iowa fans and their own. If that's "better for the state" then that's pretty one sided. And the intangibles are just irrelevant as far as the state getting fired up for a rivalry that doesn't matter outside the state lines at all... Like I said if ISU was even a mediocre to decent team that'd be one thing but they are less then nothing in the college football world and it'd take something pretty drastic to change that. So when it comes to the local media people saying it's better what they mean is it's better for them... Of course it gives them stuff to yap and write about and that's their #1 priority over everything else. College football has changed and now that there is a playoff that has to be goal #1 for coaches. That starts with scheduling. Iowa was really borderline as to being able to get in last yr if they'd have beaten MSU due to the narrative of a weak schedule... So for coaches I think the priorities has to be setting a schedule condusive to giving you a chance at the playoffs. Then winning the division/conference. If your not doing that your selling the players and fan base short. Iowa is thankfully in a position where those are realistic and obtainable. So scheduling matters big time...

this is brought up every year it seems like. It would kill ISU football (good). Iowa doesn't need this game, ISU needs it BADLY. Sadly it'll never happen. Football will be outlawed before this series dies.

this is brought up every year it seems like. It would kill ISU football (good). Iowa doesn't need this game, ISU needs it BADLY. Sadly it'll never happen. Football will be outlawed before this series dies.
Well then the clowns need to win 7 games in the 12 to make it worth our while! We all know that won't happen! Come on clowns get with it!

Clowns lose close, they are a good team. Clowns win, a very good team.
Iowa wins, we gain no respect nationally. Iowa loses, we are garbage.
Not much to gain on our side.

When it's argued that it's good for the state what's that even mean? Is it good that ISU can prop up their profile and make more money because every other year they get to host Iowa? From the Iowa side do I like it when we beat them? Sure I do but like you described it's expected and I found myself sighing with relief when King intercepted that ball more so then being fired up. I don't like that feeling and it's been that way for most of KFs tenure (thanks coach Fry) I just don't care if ISU has an artificially propped up profile due to having a rivalry with Iowa. Where every few years they pull a rabbit out and win their "Super Bowl" It helps ISU sell hope to their fans and generate support that I could care less that they have or not. I think Iowa should do what's best for them not what's best for ISU.... The state really doesn't factor either way...

When I say "its good for the state" I mean that it is the most intense week/weekend for sports in the state of Iowa, plus either Iowa City or Ames is completely packed with more fans than any other game, and the interest is as high as it will ever get. Its literally the super bowl in the state of Iowa for better or worse (i would argue for worse).

I still dont think it should be a yearly rivalry, but that's what I mean by "good for the state". Try finding a single person in the state of Iowa who doesn't know that game is on and isn't rooting for one or the other team.

When I say "its good for the state" I mean that it is the most intense week/weekend for sports in the state of Iowa, plus either Iowa City or Ames is completely packed with more fans than any other game, and the interest is as high as it will ever get. Its literally the super bowl in the state of Iowa for better or worse (i would argue for worse).

I still dont think it should be a yearly rivalry, but that's what I mean by "good for the state". Try finding a single person in the state of Iowa who doesn't know that game is on and isn't rooting for one or the other team.
I get what your saying. I just think that's media driven and the intensity of it is extremely one sided. I would argue there's never been a more intense fired up crowd in Kinnick then the Pitt night game when everyone knew Greenwood was going to lead the team out and then the game going the way it did... And the MN game was pretty awesome. Late in the season at night with the perfect season still on the line.. The ISU game is a blip on the radar compared to either of those. When one team has aspirations of playoffs and or new yrs day bowls and the others is possibly just being bowl eligible year in and year out that just don't fly. Even when Iowa has a 'down year' it's significantly better then ISU could even strive to be. So yeah it's ISUs 'Super Bowl' but I'd argue beating MN Wisky and now Neb are all bigger games to me and most Iowa fans. And it's not that Iowa's 'scared to lose' to ISU it's that beating them just don't matter...

I get what your saying. I just think that's media driven and the intensity of it is extremely one sided. I would argue there's never been a more intense fired up crowd in Kinnick then the Pitt night game when everyone knew Greenwood was going to lead the team out and then the game going the way it did... And the MN game was pretty awesome. Late in the season at night with the perfect season still on the line.. The ISU game is a blip on the radar compared to either of those. When one team has aspirations of playoffs and or new yrs day bowls and the others is possibly just being bowl eligible year in and year out that just don't fly. Even when Iowa has a 'down year' it's significantly better then ISU could even strive to be. So yeah it's ISUs 'Super Bowl' but I'd argue beating MN Wisky and now Neb are all bigger games to me and most Iowa fans. And it's not that Iowa's 'scared to lose' to ISU it's that beating them just don't matter...

How does anyone get excited for playing Minnesota?????????????? Boy that game sure adds to our resume too!

I'd prefer not to play them. Our SOS would improve by swapping them for a MAC team or even a MEAC team.

Wow some people have short memories and high hopes. We are going undefeated every year now because we did it once! I can tell you right now we won't be undefeated at the end of this regular season. Isn't going to happen. How some forget the years prior to this and wanting to run Ferentz off. About 1/4 of those on here will be calling for his head when we lose our first game this season.

How does anyone get excited for playing Minnesota?????????????? Boy that game sure adds to our resume too!
Because they stand in the way of a west title and going to the championship game! The clown game doesn't mean a thing unless you count on going undefeated every year.

Because they stand in the way of a west title and going to the championship game! The clown game doesn't mean a thing unless you count on going undefeated every year.

You must really get psyched for when we play Purdue then. Division rival and all. I didn't quite get into that game or the Minnesota game as much as playing ISU. And if you were honest with yourself you know the ISU game means something to you. You pay closer attention to that game than most just like every other poster on this thread.

Well it was a night game late in the year against a conference foe in a bordering state that we recruit against a lot. Being a conference foe in and of itself makes it a bigger deal to me. Adding to it when the game was played and the stakes that were on the line just made it a great atmosphere. When ISU comes to town it's big sure. But it wasn't as big as any of those 3 games I'd mentioned. I'm a die hard that pays attention to all the games so I'm a bad example of what I think your getting at. But yes there are casual fans that don't know who the left tackle is let alone the 4th string QB like most of us on here do. And they probably care more about the ISU game then Purdue. But are they who Iowa should be pandering to? Is that not what the tug of war here is over? To me the goals have since changed for schools now that the playoffs are here. Coaches should be positioning themselves for the opportunity to get in. As a fan of the team that's what I expect. Now every year that's not going to be realistic only 4 teams will every year I get that. But if your not TRYING to when it should be your main goal then why suit up? That is why Iowa raised all that money for the new facility right? It's why they are trying to upgrade the north end zone next right? Every little upgrade they do is to help accomplish the largest goal there is right? So why wouldn't you do that with scheduling? Pacifying a segment of the fan bases that to me really aren't relevant because once you make the change they'll still be along for the ride just seems crazy. Are those fans that wish to continue the ISU series really going to quit being Iowa fans if they drop it? Do what's best for the overall program it's only getting more and more cut throat out there. Iowa is in a great position now. Let's not settle for mediocrity. Control what you can.

Last edited:
You must really get psyched for when we play Purdue then. Division rival and all. I didn't quite get into that game or the Minnesota game as much as playing ISU. And if you were honest with yourself you know the ISU game means something to you. You pay closer attention to that game than most just like every other poster on this thread.
Thank you for telling me the clown game means something to me! I've never been an advocate for this meaningless shoved down our throat game! I dread it every year and never enjoy it! It means nothing and I mean nothing to me! It's time we move on and quit passifing those clowns and help our own cause!

Thank you for telling me the clown game means something to me! I've never been an advocate for this meaningless shoved down our throat game! I dread it every year and never enjoy it! It means nothing and I mean nothing to me! It's time we move on and quit passifing those clowns and help our own cause!

Just like Hillary never intended to send or receive classified info on her own personal server!!! C'mon. You watch the game admit it. You watch on TV or you go in person if you are a season ticket holder. Or maybe you are a scalper and profit off the sale of your tickets and watch on TV looking at your cash profits. You do one of the three.

Just like Hillary never intended to send or receive classified info on her own personal server!!! C'mon. You watch the game admit it. You watch on TV or you go in person if you are a season ticket holder. Or maybe you are a scalper and profit off the sale of your tickets and watch on TV looking at your cash profits. You do one of the three.
Yes I watch it. I watch all the Hawks games but that doesn't change my stance on the game. Just because I watch it doesn't mean I absolutely love the clown game. What the heck does Hillary have to do with it? Clown go back to cyclown with the other can't wait for the super bowl. Big game day for the clowns!

When I lived in Minnesota the people up there would get all pumped up for the Iowa game. They acted just like cyfans. I used to get up for the game just to shut them up. That was 25 years ago. No idea if they're still that insecure. Nobody is as insecure as the clowns. If they win they rush over to HN to find out if they're accepted as legit (they're not). If Iowa wins and fans go to cyfan they get banned.

You know who it's good for? It's good for the chick or dudes who don't really care about football in general but went to Iowa or IA State and for one game a year cares. These are the people who don't know who the heck is on the schedule of either team the next week. It's a game for the mother of one of these chicks or dudes.

To all the people who like or are a fan of college football it is really insignificant. Yea, there's a little hype, but there would be JUST AS MUCH or even a little more if you had another decent P5 conference team come into town who doesn't get scheduled very often, such as an Arizona or an Arkansas. There would be just as much excitement for Iowa fans and the stadium would gets filled just as much.

Latest posts