Should the Cy-Hawk football rivalry continue?

Scheduling would help to "get over it". That game v AZ State was a late game delayed even further. I'd rather lose in the west than struggle against ISU or get bit by them. Iowa State just doesn't help. Get over it.

LOL! You will have to get over it because the Iowa V Iowa State game will be going on for lots of years to come.

It won't go away, but it should. Here is a prime example as to why: 2010...Iowa wins 35-7 and goes DOWN in the rankings. That's right, beating a supposed P5 team by that much and you drop a spot in the rankings. Unfortunately it hurts us because they are typically so bad and have no respect throughout the country. Would love to play other P5 teams that would not destroy our strength of schedule.

Counter argument, we play them early season so what do rankings matter at that point? None. We weren't even ranked when we played ISU this year. Didn't matter.

Counter argument, we play them early season so what do rankings matter at that point? None. We weren't even ranked when we played ISU this year. Didn't matter.

I guess we agree we disagree.

I did think in 2009 when Iowa played (at home) agains AZ that the interior speed of the Hawks really showed against a speed team. Was great preparation. They didn't face that kind of speed again until the Orange Bowl. Certainly that helped. I think AK State had some real speed at some skill positions.

When a team gets to bowl games, the speed is the issue.

KF didn't see Stanford coming last year though. Someone should have been assigned only to that RB.

Last edited:

I did think in 2009 when Iowa played (at home) agains AZ that the interior speed of the Hawks really showed against a speed team. Was great preparation. They didn't face that kind of speed again until the Orange Bowl. Certainly that helped. I think AK State had some real speed at some skill positions.

KF didn't see Stanford coming last year though. Someone should have been assigned only to that RB.

The RB was not the only issue. Our OL got ate up even before CJ had to throw every down. I've never really heard a good detailed break down of what happened from the Coaches. Is it one to be flushed as a one off like the Arizona State game way back when or the Minnesota game in 2014 or were we just flat from the Mich State loss and seeing the Rose Bowl as a huge step down or is Stanford really that much more talented in every facet of football than Iowa was which I seriously doubt. I personally viewed the Rose Bowl as a huge step down. Now that there are playoffs, anything short of those is much less interesting to me. One play from being there. That's how close it ended up. I would guess Alabama would have handled us the way they played Mich State but we would have at least made it.

It's a no win situation for iowa and it's a no win situation for hawkeye fans. If iowa wins nobody cares because it's expected. If they lose the cyclone fans act like they beat the Denver broncos.

As a fan who attends the game every single year it's a bizarre feeling being at either stadium. You know your team is better and you know your team is a double digit favorite but you also know it's the cyclone's biggest game of the year. So I spend most of the game hoping the hawkeyes don't screw it up somehow.

I agree it's a good thing for the state, but I would argue that it's a bad thing for the hawkeyes.

<<Someone should have been assigned only to that RB>>

Short of a hit-man, not much we could have done against him. Or put King on him and leave the rest of the D-backfield very vulnerable and still wear King out by middle of first quarter.

I hadn't ever looked it up, to tell the truth. It looks like Iowa and Iowa State have played every year since 1977. Before that though the two teams rarely played. They split a pair of games in 33 & 34.

I don't care about it now as much as I did when I was younger. On a playing level, it has that IA vs Minny or IA vs NW kind of feel. Well, I take the IA vs NW back as that feels a little more like a rivalry since Fitz took the reigns. I'll say IA vs Indiana feel.

As an Iowa State fan I've long wanted to drop the series - brings out the worst in everybody, and Iowa State needs to schedule as many automatic wins as possible. I want the Baylor schedule from the last few years.

Way to set the bar. Let's schedule all non-conference duds so in the end we can get up to 4 wins. lol. Just kidding ya.

I like the game environment that it brings, but that's it. Don't see why we can't play every two to three years, the build up and hatred would be just as strong if we played every 2-3 years.

Just the fact that Iowa won't schedule any other P5 teams with ISU and 9 game conf schedule makes me want to drop the series.

Being stuck with ISU as the only P5 OOC game for the next 10 years WILL SUCK. If Iowa's goals are to compete for playoff berths ISU needs to go. Of course Iowa has to be competitive other than once every 5 years.

Actually you make a really good point. Sometimes rivalries are better or more intense with a few years between playing. If a team knows they aren't going to get another chance for 3yrs, the fans and teams will really amp up. Every year, on the other hand, can have a tendency to water it down a bit. Well, there's always next year to get them. I know

Short of a hit-man, not much we could have done against him. Or put King on him and leave the rest of the D-backfield very vulnerable and still wear King out by middle of first quarter.

Could it have been worse?

Could it have been worse?

Honestly? Yes. Remember, they had that McCaffery punt return TD called back. I'm sure they scored on the drive, anyway, but at least we made them work an extra play or two for it...

I say keep it. The ISU Athletic Dept needs the extra licensing money from all the "Beat Iowa" shirt sold at Wal-Mart. Since that amounts for roughly 78% of all apparel licensing revenue for ISU (trust me, I know numbers), I'd feel bad for them if they couldn't sell those anymore.
When do the ISU we won the first half against Iowa shirts come out. Iowa 23 -10 against the clowns the last 33 years and 8-5 the last 13.

Seems like the football landscape is changing daily with conferences, schedules and the like. Is it time to scrub the Cy-Hawk game? Weigh in on your take.....

I don't ever see this game going away. It's to important to the state.

It's a no win situation for iowa and it's a no win situation for hawkeye fans. If iowa wins nobody cares because it's expected. If they lose the cyclone fans act like they beat the Denver broncos.

As a fan who attends the game every single year it's a bizarre feeling being at either stadium. You know your team is better and you know your team is a double digit favorite but you also know it's the cyclone's biggest game of the year. So I spend most of the game hoping the hawkeyes don't screw it up somehow.

I agree it's a good thing for the state, but I would argue that it's a bad thing for the hawkeyes.
I'm right there with you for the most part except that... When people say well "it's good for the state" I just don't buy it. It's good for Ames and ISU sure. But not for the entire state or University of Iowa. Iowa would be much better off scheduling a tougher non con game year in and year out. Now if ISU was even decent that'd be a different story but for crying out loud their fans are in such denial as to where their program is. They are a bottom feeder that's fortunate to even be in a power 5 conference at all. They are nothing more then a punching bag for the big 12 when it comes to football and if it wasn't for basketball the Big 12 would have bounced them for someone else.
When it's argued that it's good for the state what's that even mean? Is it good that ISU can prop up their profile and make more money because every other year they get to host Iowa? From the Iowa side do I like it when we beat them? Sure I do but like you described it's expected and I found myself sighing with relief when King intercepted that ball more so then being fired up. I don't like that feeling and it's been that way for most of KFs tenure (thanks coach Fry) I just don't care if ISU has an artificially propped up profile due to having a rivalry with Iowa. Where every few years they pull a rabbit out and win their "Super Bowl" It helps ISU sell hope to their fans and generate support that I could care less that they have or not. I think Iowa should do what's best for them not what's best for ISU.... The state really doesn't factor either way...

Honestly? Yes. Remember, they had that McCaffery punt return TD called back. I'm sure they scored on the drive, anyway, but at least we made them work an extra play or two for it...

You are serious? That kind of a beat down doesn't occur very often at the Power Conference level period. It was 35-0 at half time. The Hawks were never even close to looking competitive in the 1st half.

You are serious? That kind of a beat down doesn't occur very often at the Power Conference level period. It was 35-0 at half time. The Hawks were never even close to looking competitive in the 1st half.

Yes. It actually could have been worse. We were lucky it was only 35-0. And no, I wasn't serious. Seriously?

Except of course a couple days later in the semi final with MSU.

I'm right there with you for the most part except that... When people say well "it's good for the state" I just don't buy it. It's good for Ames and ISU sure. But not for the entire state or University of Iowa. Iowa would be much better off scheduling a tougher non con game year in and year out. Now if ISU was even decent that'd be a different story but for crying out loud their fans are in such denial as to where their program is. They are a bottom feeder that's fortunate to even be in a power 5 conference at all. They are nothing more then a punching bag for the big 12 when it comes to football and if it wasn't for basketball the Big 12 would have bounced them for someone else.
When it's argued that it's good for the state what's that even mean? Is it good that ISU can prop up their profile and make more money because every other year they get to host Iowa? From the Iowa side do I like it when we beat them? Sure I do but like you described it's expected and I found myself sighing with relief when King intercepted that ball more so then being fired up. I don't like that feeling and it's been that way for most of KFs tenure (thanks coach Fry) I just don't care if ISU has an artificially propped up profile due to having a rivalry with Iowa. Where every few years they pull a rabbit out and win their "Super Bowl" It helps ISU sell hope to their fans and generate support that I could care less that they have or not. I think Iowa should do what's best for them not what's best for ISU.... The state really doesn't factor either way...
Thanks for posting this because I was thinking along the same lines as what does this good for the state actually mean. IMO we should trash this trivial game and help ourselves out and play someone that will indeed help us with the who have we played lately thing. The clowns would sink into the abyss without us but who in the heck gives a poop about the clowns! Maybe the goofers would like to pick them up!

Latest posts