Should Ia State switch conferences

Hawkcrush

I am a person who has learned the hard way if you run head first into a wall enough times, you need to change course. I would like to see ISU join the Big East here is why.

1. Good BBall Conference (We all know ISU is a Bball School first)
2. They do not have to compete with the Texas schools for recruiting in football ( This gives them somewhat regional advantage/difference to offer in recruiting)
3. Iowa gets the OOC opponent from the Big East ---Pittsburg--they are rising and now improving a somewhat weak football conference. Will help Hawks is ISu can go 6-6 vs 2-10 year in and out.
3. Even as little brother you still represent the State of Iowa and being a "Historically Worst" category DI team is downright embarrassing.

I want ISU to do better, as is now and will always be, this is the Hawkeye state I am not worried about recruits. IA State should learn, if it is broke, fix it! The Big 12 is a conference they will never be able to compete in---NEVER.

I am a person who has learned the hard way if you run head first into a wall enough times, you need to change course. I would like to see ISU join the Big East here is why.

2. They do not have to compete with the Texas schools for recruiting in football ( This gives them somewhat regional advantage/difference to offer in recruiting)
3. Iowa gets the OOC opponent from the Big East ---Pittsburg--they are rising and now improving a somewhat weak football conference. Will help Hawks is ISu can go 6-6 vs 2-10 year in and out.
3. Even as little brother you still represent the State of Iowa and being a "Historically Worst" category DI team is downright embarrassing.

I want ISU to do better, as is now and will always be, this is the Hawkeye state I am not worried about recruits. IA State should learn, if it is broke, fix it! The Big 12 is a conference they will never be able to compete in---NEVER.

The Big East doesn't play football. Also, Pittsburgh is in the ACC.

In a different thread I suggested Iowa State should consider finding competition a little closer to their attainable level for football. I think they should stay in the Big Twelve for most other sports.

The two best alternatives would be either the American Athletic Conference or the Mountain West Conference. Neither are a great fit geographically, the AAC being too far east and the Mountain west being too far west. The west is spread out so everyone has to travel. I think they would be a better fit for the Mountain West Eastern Division than either Wyoming or New Mexico. The east is crowded with schools, is losing population demographically, and is slowly losing interest in football. The mountain states are gaining population in many areas.

Joining an eastern conference would put Iowa State into competition with Iowa for recruiting. Joining the Mountain West would open up much of the west to recruiting. Keeping their Big Twelve ties in other sports might keep recruiting to the south active, especially if they become competitive. They did have a chance when the Big Twelve North existed and were at least competitive during that time period, with a few decent years in the mix.

In a different thread I suggested Iowa State should consider finding competition a little closer to their attainable level for football. I think they should stay in the Big Twelve for most other sports.

The two best alternatives would be either the American Athletic Conference or the Mountain West Conference. Neither are a great fit geographically, the AAC being too far east and the Mountain west being too far west. The west is spread out so everyone has to travel. I think they would be a better fit for the Mountain West Eastern Division than either Wyoming or New Mexico. The east is crowded with schools, is losing population demographically, and is slowly losing interest in football. The mountain states are gaining population in many areas.

Joining an eastern conference would put Iowa State into competition with Iowa for recruiting. Joining the Mountain West would open up much of the west to recruiting. Keeping their Big Twelve ties in other sports might keep recruiting to the south active, especially if they become competitive. They did have a chance when the Big Twelve North existed and were at least competitive during that time period, with a few decent years in the mix.

The problem with this idea is how does Moo U handle the tremendous loss of revenue?

According to the dufus' at cyfan, if only they were in the B1G, then they would be killing it week in week out.

I would suggest the IIAC Conference. They probably could compete in that division and maybe even win the conference.

Truth is, I don't care where they play (don't want them in the Big 10 though) just as so long as we don't have to play them anymore in football. Get nothing out of that game.

Last edited:
According to the dufus' at cyfan, if only they were in the B1G, then they would be killing it week in week out.

hahahahaha, that is so funny because Nebby isnt even killing it in the Big 10. The one time Nebby got to the champ game they got blitzed and ran over like 70-10. Iowa St could hardly ever beat Nebby for 60 years in the Big 8-12 yet jNW goes over and wins twice in Lincoln, and they were a hail mary away from winning 3 times in Lincoln in a row.

I do not do a lot of sweating over ISU (their fight song is the same as my high school's) and being from Des Moines I used to be modest fan but the only thing that is keeping them from being real good is many of the same limitations as Iowa when it comes to consistently good recruiting. If Baylor can do it ISU could at least be much better. The bad circle of life for them is to get and keep a top notch head coach.

Amazing they once had Johnny Majors, Earle Bruce, and then nothing .

The Big....the Big East is all Catholic schools.

*slinks away slowly*

They should stay in the Big 12. The conference is bound to gain members and split again, and they can get back too competing.

They've had a series of terrible coaching hires. They should take a page from Wisconsin and start start recruiting big linemen and slow, bruising backs, and run the ball. Also get out of that 3 - 4 d, and start blitzing like they're Mich state. That conference is so devoid of defense and so committed to uptempo spread that a throwback pro-style team could tip the scales in their favour a little more, and take them out of competition with Texas Tech and A&M for the same recruits.

Start slow, and remind their culture what it means to win. Winning is a mindset, as Hayden proved here. They don't need a proud coach, they need a good coach. There's a few on Dantonio's staff. Pick one, and have him completely change the culture, and you could do it.

Latest posts