Shimonek Throws Down Gauntlet

And if twatter was around when Drew was a senior in high school, he would of said the same thing.

Drew Tate is the guy who came in and right away was getting in practice scrums with Matt Roth. He wouldn't have messed with Twitter.

^^^^^^^^^^

That is my thought as well. Tate chased Roth down in practice after Roth was showboating on a fumble he had scooped up.

I like it........but right now its like the little yippy dog barking at the big dogs.

What big dogs? Our current QB corp could be equated to some kennel hounds who have been taken for a walk on a leash in a fenced in back yard. None have even pi$$ed on a fire hydrant yet. :)

Bleep, I'm getting old, I really need to step into the 21st century...... Come August can he just go out and do it? I like the cojones, the bravado, go out and do it and then talk about it. I get it....it is not the world we live in today. Sucks getting old.

Wow, like the moxy. I don't think I would call out college players while still in hs. It may all be in fun though. A little competitive fun. Ill tell you what though, if our qbs didn't know his name before, they do now. They will have their guards up.

Bleep, I'm getting old, I really need to step into the 21st century...... Come August can he just go out and do it? I like the cojones, the bravado, go out and do it and then talk about it. I get it....it is not the world we live in today. Sucks getting old.

I'm with you on this one...we obviously don't know if this was tongue in cheek or a set up...but coming in with confidence can be shown alot of ways...and twitter may be the last one to use for the intelligent guy. My first thought is that this guy is going to have a hard time with the playbook, if you know what I mean. Then i thought, geez, it's not like he called out guys prior to going to one practice...wait, he did. Get him a tutor now.

I'm with you on this one...we obviously don't know if this was tongue in cheek or a set up...but coming in with confidence can be shown alot of ways...and twitter may be the last one to use for the intelligent guy. My first thought is that this guy is going to have a hard time with the playbook, if you know what I mean. Then i thought, geez, it's not like he called out guys prior to going to one practice...wait, he did. Get him a tutor now.

Plenty of smart football players aren't incredibly intelligent outside of football. Having poor judgement is not the same as lacking the ability to learn a playbook.

Plenty of smart football players aren't incredibly intelligent outside of football. Having poor judgement is not the same as lacking the ability to learn a playbook.

Pretty sure Vince Young learned GD's playbook. He hasn't exactly shown himself to be someone with very much intelligence. Now at the college level his ability to make plays with his feet was all he needed. Shimonek is athletic but he's not Vince Young.

The first step to taking a starting QB position, whether you are a true freshman or a senior, is believing in yourself. It's not like the guys in front of him have a tremendous amount of experience at this level either. Is it a long shot? Of course. It isn't unheard of though. At least he's coming in with the right mindset.

Pretty sure Vince Young learned GD's playbook. He hasn't exactly shown himself to be someone with very much intelligence. Now at the college level his ability to make plays with his feet was all he needed. Shimonek is athletic but he's not Vince Young.

The first step to taking a starting QB position, whether you are a true freshman or a senior, is believing in yourself. It's not like the guys in front of him have a tremendous amount of experience at this level either. Is it a long shot? Of course. It isn't unheard of though. At least he's coming in with the right mindset.

Vince never did master the one yard out.

I'm pretty sure Vince had a few years with the playbook before he looked like a national champion QB. He also was a freakish 6'5' 230 with speed and power. Nothing against Nic at this point, but he doesn't look as mature physically. Don't get me wrong, and I'm hoping his tweet was the result of getting to know these guys some in the recruiting process, and I also hope the kid is a instant success. I guess I'm old school on this and don't think that's something you need to say publicly. I'm glad he's thinking it though.

That being said, I just don't see anyone beating out JR. I just think he's got the pedigree of someone who isn't going to lose this QB Battle.

I'm pretty sure Vince had a few years with the playbook before he looked like a national champion QB. He also was a freakish 6'5' 230 with speed and power. Nothing against Nic at this point, but he doesn't look as mature physically. Don't get me wrong, and I'm hoping his tweet was the result of getting to know these guys some in the recruiting process, and I also hope the kid is a instant success. I guess I'm old school on this and don't think that's something you need to say publicly. I'm glad he's thinking it though.

That being said, I just don't see anyone beating out JR. I just think he's got the pedigree of someone who isn't going to lose this QB Battle.

Nobody is suggesting the kid is the next Vince Young. But Young was pretty much dumb as a box of rocks outside of football, and he did just fine at Texas. And for the record, he was on campus for two years before taking over as the full-time starter in his redshirt sophomore year. Which is exactly what Rudock is doing (assuming he wins the job), and I think we can all agree that Rudock is a pretty smart kid outside of football.

Bottom line, book smarts/off-field judgement have nothing to do with football IQ. Should he have kept his mouth shut? Sure. But Drew Tate made some poor judgements, even on the field at times (see: frustration chuck against OSU). That didn't mean he couldn't handle a playbook.

Smart money's on Sokol.

Nobody is suggesting the kid is the next Vince Young. But Young was pretty much dumb as a box of rocks outside of football, and he did just fine at Texas. And for the record, he was on campus for two years before taking over as the full-time starter in his redshirt sophomore year. Which is exactly what Rudock is doing (assuming he wins the job), and I think we can all agree that Rudock is a pretty smart kid outside of football.

Bottom line, book smarts/off-field judgement have nothing to do with football IQ. Should he have kept his mouth shut? Sure. But Drew Tate made some poor judgements, even on the field at times (see: frustration chuck against OSU). That didn't mean he couldn't handle a playbook.

This was the only point I was trying to make. I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that he isn't even close to Vince Young physically. I simply meant if he has the talent and work ethic learning the system can be done. Regardless what year Vince started (I have no clue, nor the desire to look) it's pretty clear he isn't the brightest tool in the box.

Now I understand JVB is as smart as it gets, and he only had one year to learn the system. Which resulted in him struggling in ways no one could have imagined. However, Shimonek's tools fit GD's system better than Vandenberg's did. It's probably a moot point because of how difficult the transition would be, but you never know. Put me in the camp that says it's Rudock's job to lose.

Latest posts