Shimonek Throws Down Gauntlet

From an article by Rick Brown:

"Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said he was unaware of Shimonek’s Twitter challenge. 'I like his confidence,' Ferentz said. 'I’d also say it’s a position that’s really hard for a first-year player.'"

Pedigree? Not sure why you're so sure about Rudock but I'm guessing it's not based on much. Phil Steele has Sokol starting. Sokol is the best QB.

Well since Phil Steele says so that it much be true. It's called a "prediction" by Phil Steele, nothing more, nothing less. I doubt Phil Steele has met, nor has he seem him live. Probably just watched a couple HS or JUCO tapes or mabye spring tape and he said I like this guy.

This pedigree that WOTC was probably talking about is Rudock played for one of the best HS teams in the country a top of the line QB coach and had been going to camps his whole life. Sokol played JUCO, so he is the best? I don't think so. Maybe in the end he will win the QB job but until then don't mock WOTC for forming his own opinion instead of reading jut one magazine. By the way, Phil Steele is the only person I have seen who thinks Sokol is going to win the QB starting job other than a few fans.

"Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said he was unaware of Shimonek’s Twitter challenge. 'I like his confidence,' Ferentz said. 'I’d also say it’s a position that’s really hard for a first-year player.'"

I wonder if KF is referring to all first year QBs or just the ones in his program under his tutelage?

BTW Coach - Johnny Football says hello. :D

I wonder if KF is referring to all first year QBs or just the ones in his program under his tutelage?

You mean Johnny Football who had a redshirt year before he played a college game?

I am ok with his attitude so long as if he is not the starter or is red shirted he keeps his mouth shut while the starters are out there.

Well since Phil Steele says so that it much be true. It's called a "prediction" by Phil Steele, nothing more, nothing less. I doubt Phil Steele has met, nor has he seem him live. Probably just watched a couple HS or JUCO tapes or mabye spring tape and he said I like this guy.

This pedigree that WOTC was probably talking about is Rudock played for one of the best HS teams in the country a top of the line QB coach and had been going to camps his whole life. Sokol played JUCO, so he is the best? I don't think so. Maybe in the end he will win the QB job but until then don't mock WOTC for forming his own opinion instead of reading jut one magazine. By the way, Phil Steele is the only person I have seen who thinks Sokol is going to win the QB starting job other than a few fans.

If you're going to have a strong opinion like "nobody's beating out JR" maybe you should have a shred of evidence to back up your claim. I mean really, how can someone "not see anybody beating out JR", based on what?? Sokol was better statistically in the Spring game by a wide margin but nobody can possibly beat out JR? That's ridiculous. He hasn't played a down yet and if he were that good he probably would have played last year.

He's referring to ALL first year QBs....INCLUDING Johnny Football - who wasn't a true frosh

facts and stuff are stoopid.

If you're going to have a strong opinion like "nobody's beating out JR" maybe you should have a shred of evidence to back up your claim. I mean really, how can someone "not see anybody beating out JR", based on what?? Sokol was better statistically in the Spring game by a wide margin but nobody can possibly beat out JR? That's ridiculous. He hasn't played a down yet and if he were that good he probably would have played last year.

I don't think you can read too much into the "stats" of the spring game. The QB's were shuffled between groups, situations were different, play calling different, etc.

With all that said... If place my money on Sokol (but not too much money). He looked to have a slight playmaking ability when it all breaks down.

However, Ruddock did have the better arm, by far.

And you're basing your opinion of Rudock based on what, exactly? His stellar work in mop-up duty last season?

I'm not saying Rudock won't win the job. But you can't say it's foolish to think Sokol will because we've only seen a couple HS/JUCO tapes. That's pretty much all we've seen of Rudock, too.

You mean Johnny Football who had a redshirt year before he played a college game?

Is that the same "Johnny Football" who was third string before getting a shot? Could you imagine the fallout if KF had him third on the depth chart only to have him step up due to injuries and whatnot and wind up kicking major butt? It would make the "Why didn't this staff know what they had with Weisman?" crowd seem "tame"...

I don't think you can read too much into the "stats" of the spring game. The QB's were shuffled between groups, situations were different, play calling different, etc.

With all that said... If place my money on Sokol (but not too much money). He looked to have a slight playmaking ability when it all breaks down.

However, Ruddock did have the better arm, by far.

I seriously doubt Rudock has a stronger arm than Sokol. Sokol could throw 60 yards while rolling out in HS. Anyway, a strong arm is about the least important attribue. Sokol has great vision to find receivers and a knack to avoid the rush, which is a potent combination. btw, Sokol also broke NFL player Tim Rattay's record with 542 yds and 7 tds in a game at SCC. He was #2 in the nation in 2011 with 3700+ yds and 42 tds.

His statement was "I don't see anyone beating out JR", he didn't see it. Not that it wasn't possible but that HE didn't see it happening. But your opinion is based off Phil Steele and a spring game? Yes, your logic is more sound than his, ok. Seems to me that neither of you are using a much real "evidence" considering the facts that we know at this point. It's a scrimmage in which the QB's aren't under any pressure of actually getting hit. Besides, each QB didn't run the exact same plays with the exact same personnel against the exact same defensive line up.

Yes, spring games are going to tell you that Sokol is the best, right. Sounds like you read way, way too much into his post and you are the one acting as if Sokol is the guaranteed starter.

I seriously doubt Rudock has a stronger arm than Sokol. Sokol could throw 60 yards while rolling out in HS. Anyway, a strong arm is about the least important attribue. Sokol has great vision to find receivers and a knack to avoid the rush, which is a potent combination. btw, Sokol also broke NFL player Tim Rattay's record with 542 yds and 7 tds in a game at SCC. He was #2 in the nation in 2011 with 3700+ yds and 42 tds.

60 yd bomb? Sounds terrific! You have the link? I'd like to see this toss. :)

For the record... I said better arm... Not stronger. Maybe I should have said better passer (even though I think JR has the stronger arm). I thought (in the spring game), JR looked better passing the ball. I also said I'd out my money in Sokol for his ability to create.

And I fully admit, the spring game isn't the best gauge anyways and the competition is still wide open.

As for stats, JR had terrific high school stats, but comparing JUCO/high school stats as it could translate to their potential here wouldn't be apples to apples; and would be a waste of time.

60 yd bomb? Sounds terrific! You have the link? I'd like to see this toss. :)

For the record... I said better arm... Not stronger. Maybe I should have said better passer (even though I think JR has the stronger arm). I thought (in the spring game), JR looked better passing the ball. I also said I'd out my money in Sokol for his ability to create.

And I fully admit, the spring game isn't the best gauge anyways and the competition is still wide open.

As for stats, JR had terrific high school stats, but comparing JUCO/high school stats as it could translate to their potential here wouldn't be apples to apples; and would be a waste of time.
Here's a link from his Junior year in HS throwing it about 55 yards on a half run. He's a lot bigger and stronger now. Sokol got a lot of interest from Pac-10 schools (UCLA for example) before an injury that caused him to miss most of his Senior year (I'm not sure if people realize that).

Cody Sokol Football Highlight - YouTube

Hey EDA mame am I seeing KF's view on this correctly? Just checking. I guess some folks like QBs with confidence.

Did I get that one right?

And you're basing your opinion of Rudock based on what, exactly? His stellar work in mop-up duty last season?

I'm not saying Rudock won't win the job. But you can't say it's foolish to think Sokol will because we've only seen a couple HS/JUCO tapes. That's pretty much all we've seen of Rudock, too.

For someone as intelligent as yourself you obviously missed the point and where did I say Rudock was better? After all he is listed as the #1 QB on the depth chart and KF said if they played now he would be the starter. Nice try, TM.

Latest posts