Shimonek Throws Down Gauntlet

For someone as intelligent as yourself you obviously missed the point and where did I say Rudock was better? After all he is listed as the #1 QB on the depth chart and KF said if they played now he would be the starter. Nice try, TM.

Which does nothing but confirm that KF is still the head coach. Rudock has been here the longest, and unless he played like absolute garbage in the spring, he was always going to be listed at the top going into fall camp.

Which does nothing but confirm that KF is still the head coach. Rudock has been here the longest, and unless he played like absolute garbage in the spring, he was always going to be listed at the top going into fall camp.

OK, if that's your opinion then fine I can't argue an opinion. For me until Sokol starts over Rudock I am sticking to my opinion.

i also have no reason as to why i think this, but i also think rudock will be starting. again, no reason behind it

i also have no reason as to why i think this, but i also think rudock will be starting. again, no reason behind it

I think Rudock starts but splits snaps with Sokol until one pulls ahead of the other. If this happens in fall camp then that person will start and play most of the first few games. Sokol I think has more of what GD wants in a QB but Rudock is more of what KF wants in a QB. Ability to extend plays with his feet vs. pocket passer.

I don't get how anyone can have a strong opinion on who should be starting at QB at this point. We have little to no evidence of who is better at this point.

I think Rudock starts but splits snaps with Sokol until one pulls ahead of the other. If this happens in fall camp then that person will start and play most of the first few games. Sokol I think has more of what GD wants in a QB but Rudock is more of what KF wants in a QB. Ability to extend plays with his feet vs. pocket passer.

That's part of the problem. The idea that just mixing the GD and KF philosphies will automatically work. I don't think that's true. Just because two different philosphies might work by themselves doesn't mean they will work mixed together. imo, KF ought to let GD take over the offense, especially as it relates to the QB and the passing game.

I know it's a high school all-star game, but still. . .

Mildred's Shimonek leads North to 39-29 win in THSCA All-Star Game » Sports » Corsicana Daily Sun, Corsicana, Texas

The kid from Mildred had just staged one of those hold-your-breath, game-on-the-line drives. You know the kind — Elway, Manning, Staubach drives. Those guys made last minute drives famous.

Shimonek was just saying farewell, just waving good-bye to a high school career at Mildred no one in this part of Texas will soon forget.

It was the perfect wave.

By the time it was over, Shimonek had completed 8-of-9 passes for 172 yards and had thrown for a TD (a beauty on a 69-yard pass to Whitehouse’s Dylan Cantrell that lifted the North to an 18-14 lead in the third) and he had run for a TD.

He was brilliant on the final drive — going 3-for-3 in the air for 76 yards before slipping into the end zone with a 9-yard TD run that would have made Peyton Manning proud.

It was an audible.

“It was just a read. The play was going to the running back, but I saw the end pinch in and knew that play wouldn’t work,’’ Shimonek said. “He (the running back) went left and I kept the ball and went to the right. I don’ think I scored because of my speed. It was more because of deception. I don’t think they knew I had the ball. The running back on the play asked me, ‘how did you find that hole?’ ’’

With just 2:12 left in the game, Shimonek’s missing-ball-trick sealed the win.

Whomever makes the fewest mistakes in practice is the starter - period.

Iowa's non con is not well-suited to get back-up reps, so the only way that guy gets passed is if the team starts the season 1-3 or an injury.

This kid is a true freshman. He is going to redshirt, it's already been decided by Kirk. There is no way Kirk plays a true freshman at QB. NO WAY. Regardless of talent level. It's just the way Kirk works. Every beat writer that covers this team has said this.

This kid is a true freshman. He is going to redshirt, it's already been decided by Kirk. There is no way Kirk plays a true freshman at QB. NO WAY. Regardless of talent level. It's just the way Kirk works. Every beat writer that covers this team has said this.

It works this way at nearly every school. I would bet that 90% or more of BCS schools QB's RS.

It isn't like Shimonek is some 5* blue chipper....

If we hadnt of redshirted shimonek we would've went undefeated. Kirfer you are terrible. You cannot see talent and are trying to lose when you are not complacent.

Drew Tate played as a true freshman why not this guy? Iowa has more depth and skill at qb this year however so he will have to work his tail off to make his way up the depth chart in the same way.

Drew Tate played as a true freshman why not this guy? Iowa has more depth and skill at qb this year however so he will have to work his tail off to make his way up the depth chart in the same way.

He had 11 attempts for 55 yards as a Freshman. Not exactly a starter.

Tate was more or less forced to play due to lack of depth. I'm sure Kirk would have loved to have a 5th year of Tate. I would have.

I would like to know of a high level d1 QB that started as a true frosh. Johnny Manziel didn't, Andrew luck didn't...they either redshirt or they back someone else up (like drew tate did). Shimonek looks to have skills but it is very unlikely anyone would start as a true frosh because of the intricacies of offenses and developing a rapport with the team and receivers.

I would like to know of a high level d1 QB that started as a true frosh. Johnny Manziel didn't, Andrew luck didn't...they either redshirt or they back someone else up (like drew tate did). Shimonek looks to have skills but it is very unlikely anyone would start as a true frosh because of the intricacies of offenses and developing a rapport with the team and receivers.

Chad Henne and Tate Forcier come to mind. I know there have been many, many more....but those are two that I know of.

Chad Henne and Tate Forcier come to mind. I know there have been many, many more....but those are two that I know of.

The guy who just transferred to Illinois, Wes Lunt (?), started as a true freshman at Okie State before getting injured.

**Edit - Actually, there are quite a few more:
Terrelle Pryor
Matt Barkley
Robert Griffin
Kevin Kolb
Tyrod Taylor
Jimmy Clausen
Zach Mettenberger
Teddy Bridgewater
Brady Quinn
Matt Stafford
Josh Freeman

Last edited:
The guy who just transferred to Illinois, Wes Lunt (?), started as a true freshman at Okie State before getting injured.

**Edit - Actually, there are quite a few more:
Terrelle Pryor
Matt Barkley
Robert Griffin
Kevin Kolb
Tyrod Taylor
Jimmy Clausen
Zach Mettenberger
Teddy Bridgewater
Brady Quinn
Matt Stafford
Josh Freeman

I see you list dates back at least 7 or 8 years......and you list 11 kids who didn't RS. How many incoming FR QB's ended up RS over that same time period?

The absolute norm is to RS income Qb's, and it isn't even close.

Latest posts