Round of 32 Thread

Same thing happening to Marshall, lots of energy expended the other night.
Many open 3s short tonight. Oh and 11 turnovers

Xavier and their coach kind of melt down the last three or four minutes.

Another #1 bites the dust.

What gives?? Especially w/ end of game 'gags'...
1) Incorrect Seeding?
2) Youth being served? (Mich St. 4 sophs/ 1 Fr start)
3) Power 5 just can't respect these teams 'til its too late
4) Neutral arena's where crowd backs underdogs?
5) Egos (Coaches & players of Power 5)?

Don't recall seeing a region where a #5,7,9,11 will meet in Sweet 16

What gives?? Especially w/ end of game 'gags'...
1) Incorrect Seeding?
2) Youth being served? (Mich St. 4 sophs/ 1 Fr start)
3) Power 5 just can't respect these teams 'til its too late
4) Neutral arena's where crowd backs underdogs?
5) Egos (Coaches & players of Power 5)?

Don't recall seeing a region where a #5,7,9,11 will meet in Sweet 16
There's so much randomness today it's hard to keep track of it. Nevada played 85 minutes of basketball this weekend and probably didn't lead for more than two of those minutes. Yet they're going to the Sweet Sixteen. I think that with all the at large bids and conference tournaments that it's almost impossible to simulate the pressure of finality in your season during regular season games or practices. Especially in the power five conferences. Increased transfers have also leveled the playing field. The days of players barely getting off John Wooden's bench in four years and then going on to ten year NBA careers are long gone. Those players are moving on to places where they will play.

Loyola Chicago's two wins remind me of the 1963 championship team. Huge tournament upset. Won in overtime on a last second tip in overtime.....

I had them winning the first round, not the second.....

:cool:

Me too. I have Villanova to win all in my 2nd bracket. I have Purdue in my first. STILL IN IT!!

Haas's elbow deal sucks though, probably a deal breaker eventually for them. I liked their height, outside shooting, the motion O they run and ball movement. They were the whole package on offense, IMO.

True, but Boeheim may have the most punchable mug in college coaching as well as the most annoying whine.

Do you believe that when Iowa knoked off the 'cuse in the 1980 regional semifinal Boeheim was the coach then.

I remember watching that game and also the win against Hawkeye Whitney and North Carolina State.....

And of course Georgetown and Sleepy Floyd.....

I remember watching that game and also the win against Hawkeye Whitney and North Carolina State.....

And of course Georgetown and Sleepy Floyd.....

I still have most of those clippings. I was Fourteen. Thurl Bailey, Sidney Lowe, and Dereck Whittenburg, the nucleus of NC State's NC of 1983, were freshmen on that team and all played in the 1980 Iowa game.

Steve Krafciscin fouled out of the Syracuse game with 5:41 left, according to my clipping, on a questionable block/charge call. Iowa's already short bench got even shorter the rest of the way. But man could Lester and Arnold handle that ball late in games (pre shot clock era).

Georgetown was a well played game by both teams, one where it was a shame one team had to lose. The Hoyas came up one point short. Better days were soon ahead for that program.

I have yet to run into a hawk fan old enough remember who does not believe we would have won it all with a healthy Lester. We made it to the final four with a 60% Lester. Lute told him not to take it to the hole, not to challenge anyone at the rim.

Of course he gets nudged from behind on a breakaway taking it to the rim. This was 1980. For a long time Roger Burkman was as about as popular in Iowa City as the Ayatollah.

Me too. I have Villanova to win all in my 2nd bracket. I have Purdue in my first. STILL IN IT!!

Haas's elbow deal sucks though, probably a deal breaker eventually for them. I liked their height, outside shooting, the motion O they run and ball movement. They were the whole package on offense, IMO.

I am not still in it...........Up until Sunday, I was in the 99th percentile in the ESPN challenge. But, had Michigan State to win. Not that I love Michigan State, but I thought they had a lot better team than what I saw against Syracuse. My goodness they sucked.

I still have most of those clippings. I was Fourteen. Thurl Bailey, Sidney Lowe, and Dereck Whittenburg, the nucleus of NC State's NC of 1983, were freshmen on that team and all played in the 1980 Iowa game.

Steve Krafciscin fouled out of the Syracuse game with 5:41 left, according to my clipping, on a questionable block/charge call. Iowa's already short bench got even shorter the rest of the way. But man could Lester and Arnold handle that ball late in games (pre shot clock era).

Georgetown was a well played game by both teams, one where it was a shame one team had to lose. The Hoyas came up one point short. Better days were soon ahead for that program.

I have yet to run into a hawk fan old enough remember who does not believe we would have won it all with a healthy Lester. We made it to the final four with a 60% Lester. Lute told him not to take it to the hole, not to challenge anyone at the rim.

Of course, he gets nudged from behind on a breakaway taking it to the rim. This was 1980. For a long time Roger Burkman was as about as popular in Iowa City as the Ayatollah.

Burkman is still despised by all who witnessed his nasty play.....

My sister, who lives in the Philadelphia area, sent me the Philadelphia Inquirer sports pages for the games. After beating Georgetown, the headline was: BEST TEAM IN THE EAST:...IOWA.....!

Still have the papers......

The game would have been ours if Lester hadn't been slammed to the floor.....

The brackets are at the bottom of this page. We look pretty good in the East bracket.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_NCAA_Division_I_Basketball_Tournament

My sister, who lives in the Philadelphia area, sent me the Philadelphia Inquirer sports pages for the games. After beating Georgetown, the headline was: BEST TEAM IN THE EAST:...IOWA.....!

The brackets are at the bottom of this page. We look pretty good in the East bracket.....

Do you remember how loaded the 1987 West regional was? We had to beat a veteran Oklahoma team just to get to UNLV. They had to beat Pittsburgh to get to us. UNLV had to beat an upstart Wyoming team, who beat Reggie Miller and UCLA. Seventh seed UTEP and Tim Hardaway gave us all we could handle. Arizona was in that region. Smeesh. You could make a 30 for 30 about that region.

Do you remember how loaded the 1987 West regional was? We had to beat a veteran Oklahoma team just to get to UNLV. They had to beat Pittsburgh to get to us. UNLV had to beat an upstart Wyoming team, who beat Reggie Miller and UCLA. Seventh seed UTEP and Tim Hardaway gave us all we could handle. Arizona was in that region. Smeesh. You could make a 30 for 30 about that region.

Yeah, at the time I remember thinking maybe we were overseeded. That was definitely a tough region.

Fun reading your link. All the coaches at the small schools that went on to bigger schools, Valvano, Keady, . Plus all the coaches that have since retired or died that are now in HOF.

I was at the Kingdome for the games. The Hawks, Oklahoma, and UNLV could have won the Championship that year. At halftime of the UNLV game, I believe we were up 16. I watched the Hawks at halftime on their way to the locker room and they looked stunned that they were ahead. The second half UNLV started shooting threes almost every time down the court.The only they could overcome the halftime deficit. We didn't make the adjustment for a missed three bouncing away from the paint. They got most of the rebounds and second and third shots.....

The Seattle Times sports reporter's headline for the game was: Did The Best Team Lose. He mentioned the invisible foul on Kevin Gamble at the start of the second half. He sat on the bench for a long time, while the Running Rebels made their comeback.....

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2015/10-ncaa-moments/

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...d-iowas-most-painful-basketball-loss-20150211

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2016/8...n-recap-history-stats-roy-marble-kevin-gamble

Alas.....

Long gone glory.....

Perhaps never to be seen again in our lifetimes.....

I was at the Kingdome for the games. The Hawks, Oklahoma, and UNLV could have won the Championship that year. At halftime of the UNLV game, I believe we were up 16. I watched the Hawks at halftime on their way to the locker room and they looked stunned that they were ahead. The second half UNLV started shooting threes almost every time down the court.The only they could overcome the halftime deficit. We didn't make the adjustment for a missed three bouncing away from the paint. They got most of the rebounds and second and third shots.....

The Seattle Times sports reporter's headline for the game was: Did The Best Team Lose. He mentioned the invisible foul on Kevin Gamble at the start of the second half. He sat on the bench for a long time, while the Running Rebels made their comeback.....

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2015/10-ncaa-moments/

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/s...d-iowas-most-painful-basketball-loss-20150211

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2016/8...n-recap-history-stats-roy-marble-kevin-gamble

Alas.....

Long gone glory.....

Perhaps never to be seen again in our lifetimes.....

In addition to the famous late shot to beat Oklahoma, Gamble shot something like 78% for the TOURNAMENT.

It was definitely his audition for the NBA.

Gamble, Horton, Marble and BJ in one recruiting class. And Les Jepsen turned out to be solid in time, too.

Gamble also had a late game winner at OSU. His famous quote: "I was looking for the open man, then I realized in was me."

Last edited: