Request of Iowa State

We are looking at this all wrong apparently. So pwoud of 6-6!!! Let's make YouTube videos and put up billboards. We could all be pwoud in Iowa

Yeah, they might be (probably are) the better program...but I could easily still see us finishing with a better record. I don't think it has anything to do with them not finishing the season, their schedule is just brutal. Luckily, ours is the exact opposite.
The B12 is >> B10 this year and Iowa has the easy part of that weak conference. Not a bash. I understand that it's cyclical but i'd kill for iowa's schedule.

i dont disagree...but the poll on ne ucla says big ten bettert than big 12....

opinions are weird things...

The B12 is >> B10 this year and Iowa has the easy part of that weak conference. Not a bash. I understand that it's cyclical but i'd kill for iowa's schedule.

what was your record the last time you had an "easy" schedule?

ISU does have a tough schedule but its a paul rhodes coached cyclone team, not mccarney.

McCarney had an easy schedule and a really good defense in 2005, and could only go 7-5. There is truth imo that Rhoads is a better coach, and gets more out of the team. Mac had 5 all big 12 defenders and a cake schedule and his results were only slightly better than a rebuilding Rhoads with 9 conference games.

I think ISU has a more favorable schedule than last year. I also think the team overall is better/deeper than last year, and the defense may even be better than some thought it would be. So perhaps a 7-5 and tack on a bowl win could be in the cards for ISU if a few things go their way. An 8 win season for Rhoads at this point would be a step up for ISU.

No, we need to stop playing down to the level of teams we should beat, not saying that happened this year at all...........but still.

I disagree with this statement. I always got the impression Iowa coached THE EXACT SAME regardless of caliber of opponent. The same approach that took the best teams on the schedule down to the wire, seemed to work equally good for being in a fight with the worst teams late in the 4th.

Last edited:
It's not an excuse when you consistently stink it up after playing us. Btw, I didn't say the worse team won, I'm just sick of ISU going all downhill after playing us.All you have to do is win a bit and this "excuse" stops.
Do you seriously not understand that the schedule gets a bit harder once they get into conference play?? Face it, the BigXII is better than the B1G.

wow...to say anything other than they are pretty equal is insane and exaggerated, they are almost mirror images of each other, each with their own above average has beens, above average never beens, average, and cellar dwellers, and they both have the wrong number of teams contrary to what the conference title suggests, the only difference is that the big twelve WILL fold eventually and the B1G won't

wow...to say anything other than they are pretty equal is insane and exaggerated, they are almost mirror images of each other, each with their own above average has beens, above average never beens, average, and cellar dwellers, and they both have the wrong number of teams contrary to what the conference title suggests, the only difference is that the big twelve WILL fold eventually and the B1G won't

well you will have to wait at least 13 years before this "fold" will happen.
The new TV contract has a couple of poison pills in there that will hold it together for a long time. So your dream of big 12 demise will not be fulfilled anytime soon.

The absolute best football is played in south/southwest. there is no disputing this fact. The most of Big 12/SEC sit in the prime recruiting locations.

If your conference recruiting base is upper midwest/great lakes region vs Florida, Texas and California, your teams will not compete on a national level on a consistent basis.

No, it isn't. Losing two in a row to you clowns bothers me a lot less than losing two in a row to conference foe minnysoda. Or the craptastic record Ferrets has against northwestern. Or the fact that we have only beaten fo$u maybe three times during my 47 years on this planet.
Those opponents matter more to me and to Iowa, because so much more is at stake in conference games. This is fact.
Is it frustrating to watch your stumble-bums outplay my stumble-bums? Sure.
Butthurt? Nah.
I'll fart around with y'all for another day, laff at your odd circle jerk here on HN, but then I start looking at UNI and fretting about how that game will unfold.

So, what you are really saying is that you have more respect for ISU than Minny or NU. I would rather win the BigXII than beat UOFI, but, as previously noted, the ISU SOS is much harder than UofI's. FWIW, HALF the Big XII is in the top 25. With a round robin schedule, that is a tough situation.

i dont disagree...but the poll on ne ucla says big ten bettert than big 12....

opinions are weird things...

At the moment, it's hard to say the Big 10 is better.

Big 10 hasn't played any conference games and after week 2, 7 of the 12 teams already have a loss. 3 of the 5 teams that don't have a loss... Northwestern, Minnesota and Indiana. That looks bad on paper.

So, what you are really saying is that you have more respect for ISU than Minny or NU. I would rather win the BigXII than beat UOFI, but, as previously noted, the ISU SOS is much harder than UofI's. FWIW, HALF the Big XII is in the top 25. With a round robin schedule, that is a tough situation.

Huh? What I'm "really saying" is exactly what I've written.
And I have NO idea what you're trying to say.:confused:

Even though the " it is their Super Bowl" is a little tired I really do not have a problem with the OP.

Everyone in the Big 12 past and present have put together at least one double digit win season in the past 7 years except ISU. The Super Bowl thing is tired, but so is the schedule excuse.

4 seasons in it is about time to start mixing in some 8 or 9 win seasons, some mid-tier bowls at minimum before I start annointing(sp?) CPR, Knute Rockne status.

For the people using the excuse that it's Iowa State's championship, why not blame Iowa for starting the season out slow instead?

2012 - N. Illinois led Iowa for 42 minutes. They replaced QB Chandler Harnish who was their leading passer and rusher from the season prior with a QB that had thrown 26 passes in collegiate career.

2011 - Pittsburgh led Iowa til 4:22 in the 4th quarter. Iowa needed 21 points in the 4th after being down 24-3 at the half. Pittsburgh finished the season 6-7 and lost their season opener to Youngstown State this season.

2010 - Arizona led Iowa til 8:12 in the 4th quarter and had a 28-7 lead at the half. They finished the season 7-6.

2009 - Northern Iowa led Iowa at the half and Iowa needed to block two field goals with 2:14 left in the game. Northern Iowa was 5-3 against FCS opponents.

2009 - Arkansas State gave Iowa all they could handle losing 24-21. Arkansas State finished the season 4-8.

2007 - Northern Illinois lost to Iowa 16-3. Northern Illinois finished the season 2-10.

2006 - Syracuse won 20-17 in OT. Syracuse finished the season 4-8.

2002 - Miami(OH) lost to Iowa 29-25. Miami Ohio finished the season 7-5.

You can fault Iowa State for playing up but Iowa has a history of playing down to bad/mediocre OOC opponents to start the season. I believe Iowa players are just as pumped to put Iowa State in their place as Iowa State is to upset them but Iowa is slow out of the gates. They were 11-1 when they struggled with Miami(OH). 10-2 when they struggled with Northern Iowa/Arkansas State. Their only losses those seasons were blowing a big lead to Seneca Wallace and losing to Northwestern by 7 and Ohio State by 3 in OT.

I think it's more Iowa playing down early in the season than Iowa State competing because it's their championship. Iowa struggled with three other bad opponents in the two seasons they were close to being undefeated in.

Iced Clyde, there are a multitude of sharp, hongry young coaches who would give their left nut for the opportunity to bring their energy and enthusiasm to Kinnick. There is no doubt in my mind that one of these hard chargers would bring the sexy back to Iowa football.
You ever hear of Chip Kelly before he started killing it at Oregon? Dude was the offensive coordinator at New effing Hampshire. Yeah, that's right. And Bellotti recognized his talent, hired him, and boom.
How you like him now?
The list goes on.

Nike $$ helps a lot with recruiting.

Face it, Iowa is young, short on skills and unwilling to change.

Nike $$ helps a lot with recruiting.

Face it, Iowa is young, short on skills and unwilling to change.

Kurt makes too much $ tho...
IDK why we can't duplicate a team like Oregon's success in as little as 3-4 years, the young "next Nick Saban" has got to be out there right?

It's not an excuse when you consistently stink it up after playing us. Btw, I didn't say the worse team won, I'm just sick of ISU going all downhill after playing us.

All you have to do is win a bit and this "excuse" stops.

What the hell are you talking about? Another bitter Hawk fan. I hate the super bowl crap. You must not remember that we beat you last year, also, then beat #2 in the country...

idiotic strawmanFerrets's goals are and always have been conference wins and attaining the best possible bowl game. Which he has done pretty well, and I am NOT a Ferrets fan.Maybe one of these days, you'll hire a coach that has that sort of philosophy.Until then, Iowa will remain boldly circled on the clown calendar and y'all will shrivel up during the balance of your season.
This is flat out butt hurt and you know it scorp.

delusional clowns are delusional.

Latest posts