Quit criticizing Zach for the body slam

This X1000. Trice was yapping the entire game and reminded me of the young punk that gets mouthy thinking he has all his big brothers to back him up. McCabe has been frustrated for four long years never getting a call no matter how obvious. Things came to a head, Trice decided to poke the bear and Zach took care of business. It ain't basketball, but by that point in the game, basketball was the farthest thing from what MSU was playing that second half.

I still don't get this sentiment. He got exactly the kind of reaction he wanted out of McCabe, evidenced by the way he acted immediately after. That's the whole point of baiting a guy like that.

You've got an odd sense of logic. He baited. You bait someone with the goal of getting them to bite. McCabe bit.

This really shouldn't be so hard to follow.

It's one thing to bait someone by running your mouth and/or gesturing in the hopes of getting someone to "bite". It's another thing entirely to physically get up into someone's grill or physically force your way onto someone and not let go. On the first example, you just keep your mouth shut and play. On the second instance, you hipthrow and body slam their a$$ to the ground when it becomes apparent they won't get off you. That idiot Borowski was standing on that sideline looking right at and, as an official, should have stepped in immediately to break it up. He didn't. Because he's an idiot.

Zach should not have slammed the little guy to the hard floor, that is clear. But, he did and I guess I am kind of neutral on it. I think we are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be, but that tends to happen on here. My guess is that had it been Gesell or Marble, the overall sentiments may be different. However, since it was McCabe......we'll you know!

it does make me laugh a little bit when I watch it.

McCabe having to use his foot to trip him is weaksauce however.

It's been pretty overblown honestly however clearly McCabe's head right now is a scary place to be in.

I still don't get this sentiment. He got exactly the kind of reaction he wanted out of McCabe, evidenced by the way he acted immediately after. That's the whole point of baiting a guy like that.

Yeah apparently some puppets with strings on this message board.

It's one thing to bait someone by running your mouth and/or gesturing in the hopes of getting someone to "bite". It's another thing entirely to physically get up into someone's grill or physically force your way onto someone and not let go. On the first example, you just keep your mouth shut and play. On the second instance, you hipthrow and body slam their a$$ to the ground when it becomes apparent they won't get off you. That idiot Borowski was standing on that sideline looking right at and, as an official, should have stepped in immediately to break it up. He didn't. Because he's an idiot.

The officials made McCabe do something stupid and immature. I suppose it was Borowski's fault that McCabe told fans to suck a fat one, too. The guy has the composure of a middle schooler. Trice is no victim, but McCabe bears the overwhelming brunt of the blame for his actions.

Here is what bugs me about our team. I apologize in advance if somebody already wrote this - I don't care enough right now to read seven pages of threads on this team.

The refs were allowing a lot of hand-checking. So what? Michigan State. East Lansing. No surprise. Plus, it's more or less part of the game. All these guys grew up playing on the playground. If your opponent is tough, play tougher.

Sometimes when your opponent is shooting 80% (again), draining three after three, driving to the basket unmolested, and on another 12-2 run, you find a way to break momentum. There have been a lot of times over the past few weeks when I wanted somebody on the Hawks to put a guy on his a$$ during one of these runs. Nothing dirty, but Chr*st, how can they just sit there and watch the other team peel off points? Maybe it wouldn't stop the run, but man up and compete boys.

Why don't they stick up for each other? If McCabe was going to get a technical, he should have done it by getting in someone's face who was picking on one of his guards. And once McCabe and Trice were tangled up, why didn't some Hawkeye go over to the two, pull Trice off McCabe, get in his face and tell him to go f*ck himself. That's a better use of a technical, and it pulls the team together.

That was the saddest part about yesterday. I don't think these guys even have each others' backs right now. No shame losing in East Lansing again. But go down swinging, and more importantly, go down together.

I know! When I see this I totally think how much of a thug that Trice is and how he totally deserved what McCabe did!

842416138.gif

This clip shows only the result. We need the previous 5-10 seconds to see what led to it and how they got entangled. You'd get an even better picture of what happened by running iso on every play in the game to see how the contact and chippy play escalated.

The officials made McCabe do something stupid and immature. I suppose it was Borowski's fault that McCabe told fans to suck a fat one, too. The guy has the composure of a middle schooler. Trice is no victim, but McCabe bears the overwhelming brunt of the blame for his actions.

Zach no doubt bears some responsibility. Trice does, too. More, I would argue. His only way to guard a much heavier, taller opponent is to use his arms and hands high and play dirty in an attempt to bait him; Zach bit hook, line and sinker. But the officiating crew lost control in the second half and did a really poor job of anticipating and proactively preventing this kind of contact.

As soon as the trail official saw these guys locked up he should have blown the whistle and gotten them untangled. Very poor piece of officiating.

This clip shows only the result. We need the previous 5-10 seconds to see what led to it and how they got entangled. You'd get an even better picture of what happened by running iso on every play in the game to see how the contact and chippy play escalated.

It would be interesting to see where the baseline referee was standing at the second they got entangled, and to determine if he didn't see it and just started running the floor. Or if he just stood there and watched it unfold. I tend to think it's the former, because it seemed all the action was going away from this play. Must have been a fast break.

Zach no doubt bears some responsibility. Trice does, too. More, I would argue. His only way to guard a much heavier, taller opponent is to use his arms and hands high and play dirty in an attempt to bait him; Zach bit hook, line and sinker. But the officiating crew lost control in the second half and did a really poor job of anticipating and proactively preventing this kind of contact.

As soon as the trail official saw these guys locked up he should have blown the whistle and gotten them untangled. Very poor piece of officiating.

That is ********. Trice is no victim in this situation, I agree. But McCabe, and McCabe alone, is responsible for what happened next. Trice was being a punk, but what he did never came close to warranting that type of response from McCabe. If he'd just given him a little shove, that would have been one thing. But he went Chuck Norris on him; massive overkill and very stupid.

Ah sheesh, if only something had happened before this to warn us that McCabe has a poor temper and doesn't care how many people are watching. Perhaps we wouldn't have been so shocked by this incident...

That is ********. Trice is no victim in this situation, I agree. But McCabe, and McCabe alone, is responsible for what happened next. Trice was being a punk, but what he did never came close to warranting that type of response from McCabe. If he'd just given him a little shove, that would have been one thing. But he went Chuck Norris on him; massive overkill and very stupid.

Once again you have no clue what you're talking about. Why did Trice get caught conducting a sniff test under Zach's armpit? What, is he training to be a Procter & Gamble deodorant tester (actually probably a good fit for a Michigan State education)? It's a little guy's tactic to try to handle a bigger, taller player. It's a provocative move, a clear foul (holding), should have been called before it got to the throw- down.

Damn, HawkeyeNation has spawned a bunch of freaking weenies. So we had spent, what, 30 minutes of the game with MSU hand checking, pushing, and holding...and it's all somehow "just the way the game is supposed to be played". I'll go on record that McCabe probably didn't mean for it to be that bad or look that bad, but when a punk starts playing games (keeping his arms up when he knows Zach's is hooked) and he had been doing the superman stares and screams after his threes, well you know what, I'd have probably threw the little bastard down also. I'd like to think I would have instead made a hard foul on a drive to the basket to send a message. Zach chose this moment. It was a message nonetheless. This team needs a mean streak...and Ed Horton type. Who on this team is like that? Not one individual is a plays with a streak. Woody is the closest we have...and I love it. In the B10, you better have a couple of guys that won't take any "shat"...you need it. Is it Marble? Is it White? Is it Basabe? Olgesbee? Uthoff? Olesani? Sapp? All really nice guys...play hard...but all they do is take it. I'd like to see some dishing it out too.

People getting on McCabe right now have taken the "good sport" thing way too far. Sure it was a poor decision to do it in that way...but I'm glad someone showed some fire...and expressed it. Albeit poorly...but it happened. This team is soft period. I like Woody, because he's aggressive and he's not going to take crap from anyone. We need more guys like that.

Damn, HawkeyeNation has spawned a bunch of freaking weenies. So we had spent, what, 30 minutes of the game with MSU hand checking, pushing, and holding...and it's all somehow "just the way the game is supposed to be played". I'll go on record that McCabe probably didn't mean for it to be that bad or look that bad, but when a punk starts playing games (keeping his arms up when he knows Zach's is hooked) and he had been doing the superman stares and screams after his threes, well you know what, I'd have probably threw the little bastard down also. I'd like to think I would have instead made a hard foul on a drive to the basket to send a message. Zach chose this moment. It was a message nonetheless. This team needs a mean streak...and Ed Horton type. Who on this team is like that? Not one individual is a plays with a streak. Woody is the closest we have...and I love it. In the B10, you better have a couple of guys that won't take any "shat"...you need it. Is it Marble? Is it White? Is it Basabe? Olgesbee? Uthoff? Olesani? Sapp? All really nice guys...play hard...but all they do is take it. I'd like to see some dishing it out too.

People getting on McCabe right now have taken the "good sport" thing way too far. Sure it was a poor decision to do it in that way...but I'm glad someone showed some fire...and expressed it. Albeit poorly...but it happened. This team is soft period. I like Woody, because he's aggressive and he's not going to take crap from anyone. We need more guys like that.

Yep, I'm just soft I guess. It has NOTHING to do with the fact recruits listened to announcers bash Iowa's representation in what was already an ugly affair. The Twitter thing was discussed earlier in the game. This was ESPN, regular ESPN. The late game. It would be downright impossible to have this be the first time you tune into Iowa as a casual fan and walk away with anything but the lowest possible opinion of us.

But yeah, it's because we're weenies...

Once again you have no clue what you're talking about. Why did Trice get caught conducting a sniff test under Zach's armpit? What, is he training to be a Procter & Gamble deodorant tester (actually probably a good fit for a Michigan State education)? It's a little guy's tactic to try to handle a bigger, taller player. It's a provocative move, a clear foul (holding), should have been called before it got to the throw- down.

That doesn't matter, which is what you're not getting. It doesn't matter WHY Trice was in that position. You don't pull a stunt like McCabe did. Ever.

Latest posts