Quit criticizing Zach for the body slam

It would be interesting to see where the baseline referee was standing at the second they got entangled, and to determine if he didn't see it and just started running the floor. Or if he just stood there and watched it unfold. I tend to think it's the former, because it seemed all the action was going away from this play. Must have been a fast break.

This. The ref on the sideline by Fran watches the whole thing take place yet does nothing to stop it. He sees them tangled and just stands there. And if you watch the whole video then it doesn't look as bad as the short clip of just the hip toss. Yes, McCabe should have not done it, but McCabe, Trice and the ref watching are all too blame. Video: Tempers flare in Iowa-Michigan State game « Big Ten Network

This. The ref on the sideline by Fran watches the whole thing take place yet does nothing to stop it. He sees them tangled and just stands there. And if you watch the whole video then it doesn't look as bad as the short clip of just the hip toss. Yes, McCabe should have not done it, but McCabe, Trice and the ref watching are all too blame. Video: Tempers flare in Iowa-Michigan State game « Big Ten
Network
There's nobody to blame but McCabe. There was absolutely no justification for him pulling that crap.

Yep, I'm just soft I guess. It has NOTHING to do with the fact recruits listened to announcers bash Iowa's representation in what was already an ugly affair. The Twitter thing was discussed earlier in the game. This was ESPN, regular ESPN. The late game. It would be downright impossible to have this be the first time you tune into Iowa as a casual fan and walk away with anything but the lowest possible opinion of us.

But yeah, it's because we're weenies...

oh...and what do you think these fans who just tuned in think of MSU's thuggery...or Izzo's whine and cheese. Maybe those fans think it was just a frustrated athlete who acted out incorrectly. My God man, are you really worried about Iowa's reputation and the fact that this is going to hurt recruiting. Gimme a break...people want to play the style that Iowa plays...this won't hurt recruiting one bit. Fran will get the guys he wants or is in with. It wasn't just McCabe guys...Trice wasn't an angel here. He just messed with the wrong marine.

No, we need a post player who never short arms a 2 foot shot into a 1 foot clanger.

Whether you think so or not...Woodbury's made as much progress in one year than anyone on the team. You haven't been watching closely...starting to hit the mid range shot, has made some nice post moves for buckets. Bigs take 2-3 years to develop the offensive game...and he's on track. Is he going to dunk everything around the basket like Olesani...no...but if he develops in the low post where he can be counted on for the left and right hand baby hooks, guess what, we have a whole new set of options on offense. Oh, and he bangs down low and is very good working for position...thank god that doesn't involve dunking huh. Learn the damn game man.

McCabe did Iowa a favor...he should have punched him in the back of the head when he had him down too. That would have sent the proper, "we're crazy, don't mess with us" message we are looking for. Right now, Iowa appears to be the team you can bully and push around and they wilt down the stretch. That's our MO. Maybe McCabe is more clever than we think here...an evil genius of sorts. Fran's not stupid, I fully expect him to find "the Hansen Brothers" type of substitution pattern. I can see it now...gloves off at the tap.

McCabe did Iowa a favor...he should have punched him in the back of the head when he had him down too. That would have sent the proper, "we're crazy, don't mess with us" message we are looking for. Right now, Iowa appears to be the team you can bully and push around and they wilt down the stretch. That's our MO. Maybe McCabe is more clever than we think here...an evil genius of sorts. Fran's not stupid, I fully expect him to find "the Hansen Brothers" type of substitution pattern. I can see it now...gloves off at the tap.
This is dumbest post in thread. Fran struggles to coach so he asks a player to hurt others...this will never be used against us-never.

We're a week removed from him delivering the Twitter version of his hip toss. The guy has a temper and an inability to control it, plain and simple.

No....no he's not.

Last year the MSU players latterly tackled McCabe, where was the flagrant foul then? There was not even a personal foul called in that case, I still can't believe it. When I am 100 years old I still won't believe it. So last year it was ok for msu to tackle people, this year it is ok for them to travel as much as they like.

Anyways, that little punk Trice deserved it, if he tried to wrap my arm up like that I'd body slam him too. That overrated pretty boy could use a few more slams to cut him down to size.

Last year the MSU players latterly tackled McCabe, where was the flagrant foul then? There was not even a personal foul called in that case, I still can't believe it. When I am 100 years old I still won't believe it. So last year it was ok for msu to tackle people, this year it is ok for them to travel as much as they like.

Anyways, that little punk Trice deserved it, if he tried to wrap my arm up like that I'd body slam him too. That overrated pretty boy could use a few more slams to cut him down to size.

I don't care if MSU players were stuffing live grenades down our shorts when we boxed out for rebounds. Last night McCabe yanked a guy down while wearing an IOWA jersey during the most widely visible game of the night. Anybody who hated us hates us more, anyone who likes us likes us a little bit less, but more importantly, anybody on the fence with us went down with Trice. If it doesn't cost us recruits it cost us a few people watching the Tournament. I care about that. I want people to like us. Guess who got all the sympathy last night? The guys who were tackling Iowa last year. That's how she works.

That overrated pretty boy scored 17 and missed one shot all night, which was better than anyone on the floor except for Marble. McCabe could probably stand to spend a little more time focusing on actually playing basketball than on throwing cheap shots because he's frustrated and wants to throw a tantrum.

This clip shows only the result. We need the previous 5-10 seconds to see what led to it and how they got entangled. You'd get an even better picture of what happened by running iso on every play in the game to see how the contact and chippy play escalated.

Exactly, there is a lot more to the incident than the very short clip shows. And it would be interesting to know what Trice was saying to Zach, while trying to control him and prevent him from playing basketball. Players like Trice are experts at what they do. They also know the consequences of pushing too far, witness the PlasticFace himself.....

55258_yjw_bkc_vsnebraska_06_011313f.jpg

Trice seems to have been made a martyr on many threads around here. He has always thrived on irritating pushing the opponent too far. He went too far on a few occasions. On the season opener against Uconn, last season, he pushed a player too far, and suffered a broken nose and head injury. Izzo played him as soon as the could. Trice took a knee to the head from an Illinois player in the first half of a game against Illinois, Jan. 30, and was held out for the remainder of the game.

After two head injuries within about three months, Izzo had him playing as soon as he could. Whatever it takes to win. He is a good ballplayer and a very good three point shooter, and all around good hustling player. All he has to do is stop being such a nasty p**** and stop irritating and pushing other players to the edge. Certain people get off on that, despite the damage down just to themselves that they themselves caused. Think Trice would think twice about pushing people too far with two head injuries in three months.....

Head injuries should be considered very serious, brain damage and all that. Perhaps he should enter the realm of cage fighting. Izzo is really taking a chance by playing him, knowing that he could be permanently damaged with his little games......

I suppose that if the medical staff clears him, he is cool for another knee, elbow, slam to the floor, etc., all caused by his nasty style of play. No worries about another head injury. Take a couple of Excedrin Migraine and get out on the floor and play your little tricks to push other players over the edge.....

Last edited:
Damn, HawkeyeNation has spawned a bunch of freaking weenies. So we had spent, what, 30 minutes of the game with MSU hand checking, pushing, and holding...and it's all somehow "just the way the game is supposed to be played". I'll go on record that McCabe probably didn't mean for it to be that bad or look that bad, but when a punk starts playing games (keeping his arms up when he knows Zach's is hooked) and he had been doing the superman stares and screams after his threes, well you know what, I'd have probably threw the little bastard down also. I'd like to think I would have instead made a hard foul on a drive to the basket to send a message. Zach chose this moment. It was a message nonetheless. This team needs a mean streak...and Ed Horton type. Who on this team is like that? Not one individual is a plays with a streak. Woody is the closest we have...and I love it. In the B10, you better have a couple of guys that won't take any "shat"...you need it. Is it Marble? Is it White? Is it Basabe? Olgesbee? Uthoff? Olesani? Sapp? All really nice guys...play hard...but all they do is take it. I'd like to see some dishing it out too.

People getting on McCabe right now have taken the "good sport" thing way too far. Sure it was a poor decision to do it in that way...but I'm glad someone showed some fire...and expressed it. Albeit poorly...but it happened. This team is soft period. I like Woody, because he's aggressive and he's not going to take crap from anyone. We need more guys like that.

Very well put.....

Thank You.....

:rolleyes:

Strangely enough, the referees didn't see it the way many Hawkeye watchers do. They called a personal foul on both Trice and McCabe, and gave Zach his fifth foul which was merely a technical.....

Apparently Trice is not the innocent victim in the referee's eyes. They also tossed a Michigan State player out of the game for leaving the bench, Russel Byrd.....

10744164-large.jpg

:cool:

I don't care if MSU players were stuffing live grenades down our shorts when we boxed out for rebounds. Last night McCabe yanked a guy down while wearing an IOWA jersey during the most widely visible game of the night. Anybody who hated us hates us more, anyone who likes us likes us a little bit less, but more importantly, anybody on the fence with us went down with Trice. If it doesn't cost us recruits it cost us a few people watching the Tournament. I care about that. I want people to like us. Guess who got all the sympathy last night? The guys who were tackling Iowa last year. That's how she works.

You don't know this for a fact. You don't know any of this for a fact. Links or GTFO. I realize this is a message board but please try to keep statements of fact factual or let it be known that you are clearly expressing an opinion.

You don't know this for a fact. You don't know any of this for a fact. Links or GTFO. I realize this is a message board but please try to keep statements of fact factual or let it be known that you are clearly expressing an opinion.

You know what, I think I'm going to wait to post those. I need at least one other functioning person to vehemently demand sources regarding my knowledge about college basketball fans' opinion of DIRTY BASKETBALL. Spoiler alert: The college basketball fans in the sources were actually dead the whole time! But I won't give away whether or not they like dirty basketball.

You know what, I think I'm going to wait to post those. I need at least one other functioning person to vehemently demand sources regarding my knowledge about college basketball fans' opinion of DIRTY BASKETBALL. Spoiler alert: The college basketball fans in the sources were actually dead the whole time! But I won't give away whether or not they like dirty basketball.

you've got to be a troll.

McCabe reminds me of ejim a little bit. They play on the edge. Sometimes go a bit over. Honestly not a big deal to me.

There's nobody to blame but McCabe. There was absolutely no justification for him pulling that crap.

If the ref calls the play like he should it would have never got that far, he let that little girl punk Trice foul the crap out of McCabe and tangle himself up purposely. McCabe did what he could to get out of it and when trice wouldn't let go he let the little sissy have it and nothing wrong with that, after all MSU was assaulting Iowa players all second half.

That overrated pretty boy scored 17 and missed one shot all night, which was better than anyone on the floor except for Marble. McCabe could probably stand to spend a little more time focusing on actually playing basketball than on throwing cheap shots because he's frustrated and wants to throw a tantrum.

ok so it si ok for trice to throw the cheap shots with mccabe and not the other way around, i see you were prob one of those "fans" ripping mccabe on twitter to, that i could see really easily.

Latest posts