Quick Take: Iowa Basketball Predicted Record

there are some reason to expect a better record

1. Cartwright is a senior with a year under his belt, a experienced pg can result in a few wins in close games that end in losses

2. Gaten is a senior who will hopefully stay healthy and as he is a senior is in better shape and more prepared to be a leader plus he has a lot to prove

3. Marble looks to be bigger and stronger and is better prepared to back up at the pt if he is not starting at the 3

4. May also is healthy and hopefully he stays that way, with his athletic ability, will be a plus and if his 3 pt shooting improves that, the team will have what it lacked last year a 2nd 3 point shooter

5, we lost Cole but he was not the type to carry a team, and in his place we gained White, who finished the year as a 3rd teamer in the state of Ohio plus was named the MVP of the Ohio/Kentucky all star game, Olaseni a true center, Defensive MVP of the National Christian Academy Association Tournament, and Oglesbe who was a Top 150 recruit on rivals. which is a 3 for one swap. Payne was a non entity

6.this team has more experinced depth which is something Lick never had as he was putting freshmen in the lineup on a yearly basis, again experience can and does translate into wins in close games which we had alot of last year

7. Basabe should definetly be improved and no matter who is at the center spot will have more help and with 2 shooter that can hit the 3 there will be fewer dbl teams

all in all this team should and will be better and it is not like Iowa got blown out in their games

I hate to keep thinking it but if Cartwright twists an ankle we are screwed. I see 16-17 wins and hopefully some positive mojo going into the NIT.

AttackoftheHawks!!

- Game is in Hilton
- A less talented ISU team beat Iowa in Carver last year
- Iowa will have a hard time with Royce White.
- Not worried about Babb or Booker. More worried about Scotty going all thug on Iowa again though. :)

Sure, I get all those, and agree with you. But I just thought there would be more of a "homer" effect here.

I also agree with you on the thugginess of Scotty. That dude is as ghetto as they come. He'll cut you for looking at him weird.

Sure, I get all those, and agree with you. But I just thought there would be more of a "homer" effect here.

I also agree with you on the thugginess of Scotty. That dude is as ghetto as they come. He'll cut you for looking at him weird.

Okay ... I will say it ... we beat ISU by 20 at Hilton :)

Sorry, I'm as much for a good season as the next guy, but when I look at the schedule, I see seven straight losses to open the conference season before I see 19-12 overall. Did I miss us signing a playmaker this offseason?

I think we'll find that White will be the difference down in the paint to carry us over the hump into more wins...

If White is going to be a difference maker it won't be down in the paint. He would never be able to get position down low in the Big Ten.

11-2 Non-Conference
8-10 Big 10
1-1 BTT
20-13 Overall
NIT Bid

*if Cartright doesn't have to miss any games. It's critical he stays healthy.

Last edited:
White has the size and has the ability to play inside or outside at 6'8 225 lbs with range to 3, i feel he will cause mismatches when on the court, if Marble is not the starter at the 3, i see him backing up Gatens and taking over as the starter at the 2, this will allow Fran to get White a lot of minutes behind May, with spot duty at the 4 and 5 for offense and rebounding

I think expecting White to be able to play defense against Big 10 frontlines as a freshman is hoping for a lot.

I think expecting White to be able to play defense against Big 10 frontlines as a freshman is hoping for a lot.

He shouldn't have to play down low all the time, but he should be adequate to do it at times. If we have a Brommer/Archie/Olesani on the court with Basabe and White, then White will be guarding the 3, not the post player.

Offensively, he will be kind of a match-up problem for some teams. If you put a 3 on him, he might have an advantage posting up. If you put a 4 on him, he could take them out to the arc, or take them off the dribble.

I thought that some Clone poster stated that White was up to around 270 lbs. now. I think he will be a load for us to handle. Not as worried about the other transfers. All said, I am predicting 17 wins for the Hawks in the regular season with another in the tournament. That's a seven game improvement. I will take that next year as well, giving us 24 wins and a tournament bid.

Last edited:
Are some talking about Iowa's White and some about ISU's? I think that's what's happening here.

you do realize Lick is gone, don't you, Basabe was a unranked 3* recruit and he turned out ok so far, i expect more of the same from Fran's future recruits, these recruits are not here to just stand on the peremiter and pass the bal and throw up desperation shots, also the league has a lot of young talent this year unlike last when it had a lot of upper classmen, its about time to lose the idea Iowa players can't compete

I can see as many as 20 wins if we can stay healthy and get a couple of lucky breaks.

With our lack of depth, I think that 16, maybe 17 wins is much more likely - and would still be a nice improvement from last year.

Latest posts