Quick Take: Iowa Basketball Predicted Record

I have Iowa losing to ISU,UNI and Clemson/Creighton,so 9-3 in non-conference.
I have Iowa scraping out 8 wins in the league. So 17-13 (8-10) going to the BTT. I will predict that we finally win won more game in the BTT,and finish 18-14,which is enough to get us into the CBI tourny. Solid progress.

11/11/11 vs. Chicago State W
11/14/11 vs. North Carolina A&T W
11/17/11 vs. Northern Illinois W

vs. Creighton L
11/23/11 vs. Campbell W
11/26/11 vs. IPFW W
11/29/11 vs. Clemson L
12/03/11 vs. Brown W
12/06/11 at Northern Iowa W
12/09/11 at Iowa State L
12/17/11 vs. Drake W
12/19/11 vs. Central Arkansas W
12/22/11 vs. Boise State W (closer than some would think)

10-3 nonconference

12/28/11 vs. Purdue L
12/31/11 at Wisconsin L
01/04/12 at Minnesota L
01/07/12 vs. Ohio State L
01/10/12 at Michigan State L
01/14/12 vs. Michigan W
01/17/12 at Purdue L
01/26/12 vs. Nebraska W
01/29/12 at Indiana L
02/01/12 vs. Minnesota W
02/04/12 vs. Penn State W
02/09/12 at Northwestern W
02/16/12 at Penn State W
02/19/12 vs. Indiana W
02/23/12 vs. Wisconsin L
02/26/12 at Illinois L
02/29/12 at Nebraska W
03/03/12 vs. Northwestern W

Conference 9-9
Overall 19-12

I hope my numbers worked out alright here.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be shocked if we split with Wisky and Purdue. We tend to play Wisky tough at home, and with Purdue losing Moore and Johnson (plus nobody is sure what Hummel is going to be like after 2 ACL tears), I think we can get them again in Carver.

I don't think Iowa has anything to worry about from UNI this season.

You serious? We have said that before and then have gone in there and gotten beat. I would feel much more comfortable saying UNI is a win if it was in CHA but not in Mcleod.

But this 19 win talk is crazy as we are coming off back to back 20 loss seasons. But if Fran can pull that off then it would go a long ways to help recruiting and getting fans back to the games. Anything over 18 wins and Fran should be nominated for coach of the year.

never heard of Campbell, and when Purdue was at full strength lost, so i see a split with Purdue and a victory over Campbell, hard to tell with Creighton and UNI I call that a toss up

I agree that 18-19 wins with the state of the Big Ten and the schedule over is attainable for Iowa.

I do think that Gatens will have a great year, but I think that Basabe will see a bit of a sophomore slump and not rise to the expectations of fans. Just my bold prediction...

What I'm surprised about is how few people here think Iowa will beat ISU. With the amount of grief given to the transfer method and how much I've heard here about how mediocre Allen/Babb/Booker are, I am just surprised!

What I'm surprised about is how few people here think Iowa will beat ISU. With the amount of grief given to the transfer method and how much I've heard here about how mediocre Allen/Babb/Booker are, I am just surprised!

- Game is in Hilton
- A less talented ISU team beat Iowa in Carver last year
- Iowa will have a hard time with Royce White.
- Not worried about Babb or Booker. More worried about Scotty going all thug on Iowa again though. :)

Rumors from the Italy practices say that Booker probably won't be starting anyway. Still wish Godfrey wouldn't have gotten himself kicked off the team. I think that will have a bigger impact than some of my brethern would like to admit.

I liked Babb and Allen as players in the Big Ten. And White sounds like a fricking beast. And Iowa never plays good in Hilton. I think that is easily our toughest non-conference game,and I expect a loss.

UNI seemed to have good players in PTL,right? Rank and that other guard were standouts. I think UNI will be tough,and a probable loss. And then it is down to Clemson and Creighton...hope we can win one of these.

Campbell? I know nothing about them,but will assume we have a good chance on our floor.

I also think Iowa has a good shot at Purdue right out of the box,barring injury. Purdue is going to be not as good as last year. Hummel is great,but impaired. LewJack is tough,but tiny. Ryne Smith is a good shooter. Byrd is ok. Their bigs are average.
I think we catch them before they really have settled in.

I do think there will be a lot of close games...it will come down to whether Iowa can come thru late,in the clutch...last year,only Bryce seemed to do that. Matt and co. have to hit open shots late...and I think he will.

I could easily be wrong about UNI. I've said it before in the past as well. But IMO their bigs are decidedly worse than they have been. After they lost mutton chops they were not nearly as good.

there are some reason to expect a better record

1. Cartwright is a senior with a year under his belt, a experienced pg can result in a few wins in close games that end in losses

2. Gaten is a senior who will hopefully stay healthy and as he is a senior is in better shape and more prepared to be a leader plus he has a lot to prove

3. Marble looks to be bigger and stronger and is better prepared to back up at the pt if he is not starting at the 3

4. May also is healthy and hopefully he stays that way, with his athletic ability, will be a plus and if his 3 pt shooting improves that, the team will have what it lacked last year a 2nd 3 point shooter

5, we lost Cole but he was not the type to carry a team, and in his place we gained White, who finished the year as a 3rd teamer in the state of Ohio plus was named the MVP of the Ohio/Kentucky all star game, Olaseni a true center, Defensive MVP of the National Christian Academy Association Tournament, and Oglesbe who was a Top 150 recruit on rivals. which is a 3 for one swap. Payne was a non entity

6.this team has more experinced depth which is something Lick never had as he was putting freshmen in the lineup on a yearly basis, again experience can and does translate into wins in close games which we had alot of last year

7. Basabe should definetly be improved and no matter who is at the center spot will have more help and with 2 shooter that can hit the 3 there will be fewer dbl teams

all in all this team should and will be better and it is not like Iowa got blown out in their games

i see 17-19 and right now leaning towards 17 wins. I will change my opinion once I can see how this team meshes on the court. I am only going off how they played and ended last year. I am confident that these kids can get 17 wins.

It would quickly drop to 13 wins if we lose a key player as in PG.

Rumors from the Italy practices say that Booker probably won't be starting anyway. Still wish Godfrey wouldn't have gotten himself kicked off the team. I think that will have a bigger impact than some of my brethern would like to admit.

Godfrey will be missed on the court but his attitude made the decision easy.

Latest posts