Quick Take: Iowa Basketball Predicted Record

I was not expecting more than 15 or 16 wins this year, I was thinking 9 wins OOC and 6 or 7 in the B1G.

Iowa was predicted in all preseason pubs and by many fans and rivals to finish no higher than 10th in the Big Ten and have a losing record overall for 5th straight season. They have surprised and over exceeded expectations many had. That is serious progress in this league with the lack of talent Iowa has right now. Next season is a huge upgrade, so getting 20-23 wins next season would be a huge improvement. Think next season they are much like Indiana is this year.

It's been a good season for the Hawks.

Think that goes without question.

And the best thing is that there is a very nice nucleus for the future with White, Mel, Devyn, Zach and (admittedly more than I expected) Oglesby.

When you consider that this team has exactly the type of players coming into the program to perfectly compliment these guys, (also with an intriguing developmental component in Gabe) it is truly impressive what Fran and company have done.

Think that goes without question.

And the best thing is that there is a very nice nucleus for the future with White, Mel, Devyn, Zach and (admittedly more than I expected) Oglesby.

When you consider that this team has exactly the type of players coming into the program to perfectly compliment these guys, (also with an intriguing developmental component in Gabe) it is truly impressive what Fran and company have done.

I have disagreed with some of your ''hard and fast rules'' which do have some validity, but generally,I agreed with your research in terms of progress that must be made by a new coach. I think we can agree that the recruiting and the product on the floor are on schedule for a revival.
This year was very important to not discourage potential recruits,and raise morale of fans and players alike. Mission accomplished on both fronts. Now, another step next year...like a NCAA bid?

I felt a little vindicated when Fran said it himself that if he needed to get it done by this year recruiting. I also have been saying since midway through his senior year that White was going to be a major piece of the puzzle.

But I really didn't give him as much credit as he deserved as a coach who could get his players to work to their strengths within his system. The track record was there, but I think I just really needed to see it to fully understand.

When he brings in the kind of guards next year who can really run, we'll see a different level of this system.

Until the talent level evens out a little with respect to other conference teams, it's hard to be critical of McCaffrey. I have questioned personnel decisions (sticking with May for so long), but I like McCaffrey's honesty and his willingness to change things up if necessary. He doesn't have many tools in the tool box this year, so the fact we aren't staring up at the rest of the conference and have 4 wins against top 25 teams is far more than I expected after blowout non con losses.

Latest posts